Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Code: 388

Upper deck

Main deck

Summarizing based on comments thus far:

First

This post shows the seat map and individual seat ratings for First:

First Cabin A380 Seat Ratings
In order of rating:
  1. 2 A/K
  2. 1 A/K
  3. 3 A/K
  4. 2 E/F
  5. 3 E/F
  6. 4 E/F
  7. 4 A/K

Club World Upper deck
  • 50AB and 50JK: the B and J seats don’t have anyone climbing over them. There’s nothing else ahead of these seats, so this area should be fairly quiet. However, the A and K seats ... would have to lean forward a long way to look out of the single window serving this row. Good if you like having a very private space and don’t mind stepping over someone to get out. Bad if you like looking out of the window.
  • 50J for longest bed is the best. However, you only have a curtain between you and the stairs and right hand side forward loo. Should be okay but might be noisy. Partial barrier around feet.
  • 51D and 51F: no half barrier either so very good for tall people and first row of CW cabin so good for food and ease of access to loo without any galley.
  • 53AB and 53JK: the window seats have direct aisle access, so in theory these would be a lot like 64A and 64K on the 744. Unfortunately, potentially noisy.
  • 56B has a bit of extra length but also a partial barrier.
  • 59AB and 59JK: the window seats here also have direct aisle access. However, as others have mentioned, because the CW and WT+ cabins partly overlap at this point, these seats (and particularly the heads of the 59B and 59J passengers) are directly in line with the WT+ centre bulkhead bassinets, so possible noise concerns if baby behind. You can see the close proximity in the photo above for 60 DEF
  • Middle seats: since there's only a single middle seat, it's rather nice and isolated and private, at least while the dividers are up. When dividers go down it's face to face with your seatmates to the left and right. Couples who are using a middle seat will probably be better off choosing EF rather than DE, because the extra space to the right hand side of the E seat means the E and F seats are closer together.

Club World Main Deck
  • 10J definitely winner for the most length but partial barrier around feet and galley noise may be an issue. However, also first to get food!
  • 10A and 10K for window seats only. The rest have absolutely NO view as the wing is massive and all you see is reflecting Silver and a lot of flex!
  • There is a reported experience from 13AB of in-flight vibration and resonances which were enough to disturb sleep.
  • Avoid 15AB and 15JK due to proximity to the two loos that are right beside and behind this seat. (CW loo behind 15B and 15J, WT loo beside these seats although behind a curtain, near continuous use!)
  • General note: due to the curvature of the fuselage, the window seats on the main deck have a greater gap between the seat and cabin wall than the equivalent upper deck seats, thus providing more wiggle room for your legs and toes.

World Traveller Plus Upper Deck
Photos: courtesy of PETER01
  • Bulkhead seats: The legroom in the bulkhead rows of 60DEF, 61AB and 61JK is fairly good, but I’m not sure that I would take these for a night flight as you can still get closer to horizontal in the rows behind. If that’s your favoured sleeping position, the absence of leg-rests in those rows won’t matter too much.
  • Row 67: The quietness of the aircraft will mean that the toilets at the aft of the WT+ cabin are much more likely to be disturbing in this area (particularly to 67AB, 67DEF, 67JK and 68DEF) than, say, to 15AB on a mid-J 744.

World Traveller Upper Deck
  • Centre block bulkheads 70DEFG and 80DEFG have tables in fixed armrests, as one would expect. This noticeably constricts the width of the seat. The armrest between D and E is a conventional lift-up armrest – so if choosing these rows, D and E are better than F and G. Another thing about these bulkhead rows, which are in line with the exits, and the adjacent exit rows (70AB, 70JK, 80AB and 80JK), is that there is a noticeable hissing noise from the slipstream.
  • 80D and 80E are the same and could be great for space or for couples that want to lift the armrest during the flight to get closer or sleep.
  • Rear cabin: any WT seat in rows 80 to 83 would be very nice indeed as long as: there is not a stag group pissing it up here when you want to sleep! Apparently, they may offer this cabin to groups so need to be a bit careful in selecting this exclusive cabin. Also, there is noticeable galley noise in this rear cabin, and it gets worse the further aft you get.

World Traveller Main Deck
  • 25D is the throne seat on the Main Deck in WT. (no seat in front of them).
Print Wikipost

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2023, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
Never been on Upper Deck on the A380 for BA and looking at the seatmap on the JK side currently all rows are free. 50J/K look appearling apart from they appear close to the toilets and wondered how much noise and foot traffic this creates, would it be better to go with 51 or 52 instead?

Assume the service for Upper Desk starts are row 50 and works backwards also?
Beware the missing windows at 50K. You have to lean a lot forward to see out of the single window. Not a big deal on night flights. Toilets are not an issue since they are beyond the curtains and quite a way forward from the seats.
As for service, not sure but on our last trip from JNB, they served from front to back.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 11:07 pm
a_k

Programs: AY+ Plat
Originally Posted by PETER01
Yes, good choice. 70 A/B or J/K or alternatively same for row 80. You'll be off quicker in row 70 though. What I've done previously is used my (soft) carry on and used it as a leg rest once up to cruising height. There are toilets at rows 70 and 80 but they're not a major issue.

Alternatively you could go for row 20 downstairs but they're 3 across and if you choose 70 or 80 Theoretical Seating might keep the adjacent seat blocked. However from previous trips on this big bird when doors close folks can sometimes shuffle over to any spare exit seats.

Or even 25D is a good seat as theres a missing seat in front of you. 20, 70 or 80 have no windows or side bins for info.

More info in the Wiki and as for any hissing sounds mentioned there I can't recall any. Another thing is the bins in the front upper Y section are, I think, slightly bigger than the last upper deck minicabin. I seem to remember my (non soft Samsonite) carry on wouldn't fit in the rear section but did in the front upper Y section.

There's quite a few decent videos on YouTube re the BA A380. At the end of the day though Y is Y but I would say the above are good seats.

Pete
Thanks, Peter. Does the upper deck board/deplane separately from the lower deck?
Old Jan 12, 2023, 12:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by a_k
Thanks, Peter. Does the upper deck board/deplane separately from the lower deck?
Yes they do as LHR/destinations have specific A380 capable gates.
a_k likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 3:16 pm

Programs: American, BA, United,Marriott
Is there slightly more room between rows 50 AB / JK and 51 AB / JK compared to the spacing of the other CW rows? The BA seat map gives that appearance. If that is the case, the 50A/K seats, while still stepping over 51B/J, might not be as tight of a step over?
Old Jan 16, 2023, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 1stClassFan
Is there slightly more room between rows 50 AB / JK and 51 AB / JK compared to the spacing of the other CW rows? The BA seat map gives that appearance. If that is the case, the 50A/K seats, while still stepping over 51B/J, might not be as tight of a step over?
Never really noticed any difference, so guess the answer is No.
50A has missing windows.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 3:40 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I don't think there is any difference in length between 50 and 51. However, IIRC there is a few inches more on 50B and J but I would definitely advise against them due to:

1) a toilet there at 50J/K and also a curtain.

2) There are no windows really. Here's an older photo of mine of 50K.

Old Jan 17, 2023, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by 1stClassFan
Aerolopa will give you a more accurate view of the seating layout:

https://www.aerolopa.com/ba-type-38a
Old Jan 17, 2023, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Overhead bins above 2EF?

Does the BA A380 have overhead bins in F? If so, are there bins above 2EF (e.g., on the 77W, there are no bins above row 1 center seats)? If not, do the bins above AK have emergency or FA stuff that makes them unavailable?

As I recall, BA prohibits any bags under the ottoman/buddy seat for takeoff and landing, so bin space is a consideration for us.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 11:02 pm

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by anabolism
Does the BA A380 have overhead bins in F? If so, are there bins above 2EF (e.g., on the 77W, there are no bins above row 1 center seats)? If not, do the bins above AK have emergency or FA stuff that makes them unavailable?

As I recall, BA prohibits any bags under the ottoman/buddy seat for takeoff and landing, so bin space is a consideration for us.
There are no central overhead bins at all, only over the A and K seats (six bins along each side, if I remember correctly). each seat has a small wardrobe though, built into the forward seat shell. There was no crew equipment in the bin above 1A when I was last there - the crew used cupboards under the the front stairs for storage.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 1:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I really don't think you need be concerned about overhead bin space on an A380 in F. The seat cupboard is actually quite big and can easily fir small/medium sized bags. There is also plenty of overhead space as well. I don't think I have ever experienced or seen any issues onboard.
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 2:29 am

Programs: Varies

I see 4A is bottom of the ranking in First Class. Is that a noise issue, or something else?

Currently got 3A and 4A booked (I'm in 4A). The middle seats of row 2 are available but I do like a window seat. We could do 3A and 3E as the other half doesn't mind not having a window.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 2:50 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by KARFA
I really don't think you need be concerned about overhead bin space on an A380 in F. The seat cupboard is actually quite big and can easily fir small/medium sized bags. There is also plenty of overhead space as well. I don't think I have ever experienced or seen any issues onboard.
Indeed, I got an entire bin to myself with a loading of full minus three
Old Jan 22, 2023, 2:58 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by ttama
I see 4A is bottom of the ranking in First Class. Is that a noise issue, or something else?

Currently got 3A and 4A booked (I'm in 4A). The middle seats of row 2 are available but I do like a window seat. We could do 3A and 3E as the other half doesn't mind not having a window.
So its the galleys and toilets. Toilets are in front of 1A and 1K which is why 2A and 2K are said to be better (but I have to say I like that you are really secluded in 1A/K when I am travelling alone) and then the galley is at the back. The front generally is quieter because you have those enormous stairs at the front which are out of use the entire flight and roped off.

Honestly wouldn't get too fussed - on the A380 all the seats are great and it is quiet. As has been said storage for hand luggage is a non issue, I have never known the bins etc to get half full even with a fully laiden flight of 14 in F.
FD.
ttama likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 3:33 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by peter h
There are no central overhead bins at all, only over the A and K seats (six bins along each side, if I remember correctly). each seat has a small wardrobe though, built into the forward seat shell. There was no crew equipment in the bin above 1A when I was last there - the crew used cupboards under the the front stairs for storage.
Originally Posted by KARFA
Thank you both. Just to confirm, do the center seats on the A380 in F have the small wardrobe? I flew BA 772 F a few days ago in center seats and only the window seats had the wardrobes (the window seats also looked wider, with more surface space). This was an old 772 with old CW and old F (no doors).
Old Jan 22, 2023, 3:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yea all seats have the same large wardrobe.
ttama and LCSinTexas like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.