Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Code: 388

Upper deck

Main deck

Summarizing based on comments thus far:

First

This post shows the seat map and individual seat ratings for First:

First Cabin A380 Seat Ratings
In order of rating:
  1. 2 A/K
  2. 1 A/K
  3. 3 A/K
  4. 2 E/F
  5. 3 E/F
  6. 4 E/F
  7. 4 A/K

Club World Upper deck
  • 50AB and 50JK: the B and J seats don’t have anyone climbing over them. There’s nothing else ahead of these seats, so this area should be fairly quiet. However, the A and K seats ... would have to lean forward a long way to look out of the single window serving this row. Good if you like having a very private space and don’t mind stepping over someone to get out. Bad if you like looking out of the window.
  • 50J for longest bed is the best. However, you only have a curtain between you and the stairs and right hand side forward loo. Should be okay but might be noisy. Partial barrier around feet.
  • 51D and 51F: no half barrier either so very good for tall people and first row of CW cabin so good for food and ease of access to loo without any galley.
  • 53AB and 53JK: the window seats have direct aisle access, so in theory these would be a lot like 64A and 64K on the 744. Unfortunately, potentially noisy.
  • 56B has a bit of extra length but also a partial barrier.
  • 59AB and 59JK: the window seats here also have direct aisle access. However, as others have mentioned, because the CW and WT+ cabins partly overlap at this point, these seats (and particularly the heads of the 59B and 59J passengers) are directly in line with the WT+ centre bulkhead bassinets, so possible noise concerns if baby behind. You can see the close proximity in the photo above for 60 DEF
  • Middle seats: since there's only a single middle seat, it's rather nice and isolated and private, at least while the dividers are up. When dividers go down it's face to face with your seatmates to the left and right. Couples who are using a middle seat will probably be better off choosing EF rather than DE, because the extra space to the right hand side of the E seat means the E and F seats are closer together.

Club World Main Deck
  • 10J definitely winner for the most length but partial barrier around feet and galley noise may be an issue. However, also first to get food!
  • 10A and 10K for window seats only. The rest have absolutely NO view as the wing is massive and all you see is reflecting Silver and a lot of flex!
  • There is a reported experience from 13AB of in-flight vibration and resonances which were enough to disturb sleep.
  • Avoid 15AB and 15JK due to proximity to the two loos that are right beside and behind this seat. (CW loo behind 15B and 15J, WT loo beside these seats although behind a curtain, near continuous use!)
  • General note: due to the curvature of the fuselage, the window seats on the main deck have a greater gap between the seat and cabin wall than the equivalent upper deck seats, thus providing more wiggle room for your legs and toes.

World Traveller Plus Upper Deck
Photos: courtesy of PETER01
  • Bulkhead seats: The legroom in the bulkhead rows of 60DEF, 61AB and 61JK is fairly good, but I’m not sure that I would take these for a night flight as you can still get closer to horizontal in the rows behind. If that’s your favoured sleeping position, the absence of leg-rests in those rows won’t matter too much.
  • Row 67: The quietness of the aircraft will mean that the toilets at the aft of the WT+ cabin are much more likely to be disturbing in this area (particularly to 67AB, 67DEF, 67JK and 68DEF) than, say, to 15AB on a mid-J 744.

World Traveller Upper Deck
  • Centre block bulkheads 70DEFG and 80DEFG have tables in fixed armrests, as one would expect. This noticeably constricts the width of the seat. The armrest between D and E is a conventional lift-up armrest – so if choosing these rows, D and E are better than F and G. Another thing about these bulkhead rows, which are in line with the exits, and the adjacent exit rows (70AB, 70JK, 80AB and 80JK), is that there is a noticeable hissing noise from the slipstream.
  • 80D and 80E are the same and could be great for space or for couples that want to lift the armrest during the flight to get closer or sleep.
  • Rear cabin: any WT seat in rows 80 to 83 would be very nice indeed as long as: there is not a stag group pissing it up here when you want to sleep! Apparently, they may offer this cabin to groups so need to be a bit careful in selecting this exclusive cabin. Also, there is noticeable galley noise in this rear cabin, and it gets worse the further aft you get.

World Traveller Main Deck
  • 25D is the throne seat on the Main Deck in WT. (no seat in front of them).
Print Wikipost

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2022, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mr Silver K
I was in 4K on a MIA-LHR flight and couldn’t get any sleep at all. Noise from the galley is really bad and coupled with the extremely quiet engines on the A380, you can hear everything the crew do. If it’s a day flight, wouldn’t matter but for overnight flights expect to be disturbed

That is good to know. I moved to 4E. I hope that will be a little bit better. Thanks!
Old May 5, 2022, 3:54 am

Who gets served first?

I have a question re First on the A380. As the galley is at the back of the First Cabin, does Row 4 get their orders taken and served first and Row 1 last?

Thanks
Old May 5, 2022, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by Mockerz89
I have a question re First on the A380. As the galley is at the back of the First Cabin, does Row 4 get their orders taken and served first and Row 1 last?

Thanks
Technically should be row 1 back. I’ve been in 2A and got asked last and dumped with the dregs. I now give the order during pre-departure drinks to make sure I get my choice. The crew have never said no
Mockerz89 likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

Service seems to be done from front to back ( and maybe with status included to mix it up a bit) but service in f is dine on demand so it can look very mixed.
Regards

Tbs
Mockerz89 likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 4:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Also orders for food should be taken from the whole cabin, and then reconciled in the gallery. If not everyone can have their first choice, then it is prioritised on status.

If you don't want to eat straight away, at least let them know what you would like later so they can reserve it for you.
Old May 16, 2022, 2:18 am

So me, the other half and our friend have decided to treat ourselves to a Club World upgrade for our ORD flight later this year (never flown long haul business, so this is a real one off treat). It's an A380 at the moment; and am looking at what seats to reserve. Im happy to sit backwards so have been looking at row 53 upstairs as 53E looks like a nice seat where I can talk to my partner and our friend still; and also retain full aisle access. Is this a good seat to pick? I'm going to guess we wouldnt be last for food/drink service in this row?
Also really importaly, we will be travelling with some fragile hand luggage; how good is the overhead storage space here - I figure it won't be a case of fighting for room as its a business cabin.
Old May 16, 2022, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by FlyKev
So me, the other half and our friend have decided to treat ourselves to a Club World upgrade for our ORD flight later this year (never flown long haul business, so this is a real one off treat). It's an A380 at the moment; and am looking at what seats to reserve. Im happy to sit backwards so have been looking at row 53 upstairs as 53E looks like a nice seat where I can talk to my partner and our friend still; and also retain full aisle access. Is this a good seat to pick? I'm going to guess we wouldnt be last for food/drink service in this row?
Also really importaly, we will be travelling with some fragile hand luggage; how good is the overhead storage space here - I figure it won't be a case of fighting for room as its a business cabin.
Row 53 is good and as you mentioned E gives you chance to speak to 2 people with the divider down but you can get out without climbing over anyone but your other half and/or friend will have someone climbing over them depending on which side 52E wants to get out.
Overhead storage is standard however if you have a small delicate item, a window seat might be a better option since you have storage next to you between you and the window.
Old May 16, 2022, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by FlyKev
Im happy to sit backwards so have been looking at row 53 upstairs as 53E looks like a nice seat where I can talk to my partner and our friend still ...
One perennial word of caution about row 53, depending on how good your hearing is: sitting in 53B, 53D, 53F or 53J can be a bit like having your head in the galley. Sometimes you hear TMI, and other times you just hear TM.

Also, I once moved myself to an empty 53E and was woken up before breakfast when a trolley was rather "positively" stowed just the other side of the divider, mechanically transmitted straight into the footstool.

So as always, one question is whether your "ORD flight" is LHR-ORD or ORD-LHR, followed by a question about how much you want to sleep (whichever direction you're flying in).
Old May 16, 2022, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
So as always, one question is whether your "ORD flight" is LHR-ORD or ORD-LHR, followed by a question about how much you want to sleep (whichever direction you're flying in).
Useful feedback!
We'll be travelling LHR-ORD so I don't see myself having much more than a brief nap as honestly I'm going to want to soak up the experience as much as possible.
Old May 16, 2022, 2:07 pm

Due to an AA cancellation am now coming back via DFW on the A380 rather than PHL with CS.

Sadly no 53K available so went for 50K, however 51J is occupied.

Would 59K be a better choice for a night flight?
Old May 16, 2022, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Cw novice
Due to an AA cancellation am now coming back via DFW on the A380 rather than PHL with CS.

Sadly no 53K available so went for 50K, however 51J is occupied.

Would 59K be a better choice for a night flight?
Be aware that 50K has missing windows and the only usable window is far from you to look out of it properly.
59K is better for window views but you will be in front of the bulkhead seats in WT+ with possible babies since those are bassinet seats in WT+.
Cw novice likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by gw76
2A to IAD was nice. Plenty of space. Ruined by the middle seats inviting two friends from CW to join a little 'party' . Noone batted an eyelid...
We have an Avios F booking to YVR in August. Our 2 friends are in CW, their first ever J booking after I introduced them to points collecting a few years ago. I had contemplated seeing if they would be allowed to join us for 5 minutes but had pretty much decided that it wasn’t worth upsetting the rest of the cabin!
Old May 21, 2022, 1:09 am

BA a380 club world

What seats have the best view upstairs? I’m looking at 58A how is the view from this seat?
Old May 21, 2022, 2:21 am

What are you planning on looking at? The aerolopa site may help you with seat and window placement:

https://www.aerolopa.com/ba-type-38a
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Irishtraveler
What seats have the best view upstairs? I’m looking at 58A how is the view from this seat?

Hi,

The forward upper deck ( 50-53 will have better views) as it does not have the wing below ( rows 56-59 will have some views blocked by the wing but will be better than the lower cw deck as you are higher up)

Regards

TBS
dickinson likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.