Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Code: 388

Upper deck

Main deck

Summarizing based on comments thus far:

First

This post shows the seat map and individual seat ratings for First:

First Cabin A380 Seat Ratings
In order of rating:
  1. 2 A/K
  2. 1 A/K
  3. 3 A/K
  4. 2 E/F
  5. 3 E/F
  6. 4 E/F
  7. 4 A/K

Club World Upper deck
  • 50AB and 50JK: the B and J seats don’t have anyone climbing over them. There’s nothing else ahead of these seats, so this area should be fairly quiet. However, the A and K seats ... would have to lean forward a long way to look out of the single window serving this row. Good if you like having a very private space and don’t mind stepping over someone to get out. Bad if you like looking out of the window.
  • 50J for longest bed is the best. However, you only have a curtain between you and the stairs and right hand side forward loo. Should be okay but might be noisy. Partial barrier around feet.
  • 51D and 51F: no half barrier either so very good for tall people and first row of CW cabin so good for food and ease of access to loo without any galley.
  • 53AB and 53JK: the window seats have direct aisle access, so in theory these would be a lot like 64A and 64K on the 744. Unfortunately, potentially noisy.
  • 56B has a bit of extra length but also a partial barrier.
  • 59AB and 59JK: the window seats here also have direct aisle access. However, as others have mentioned, because the CW and WT+ cabins partly overlap at this point, these seats (and particularly the heads of the 59B and 59J passengers) are directly in line with the WT+ centre bulkhead bassinets, so possible noise concerns if baby behind. You can see the close proximity in the photo above for 60 DEF
  • Middle seats: since there's only a single middle seat, it's rather nice and isolated and private, at least while the dividers are up. When dividers go down it's face to face with your seatmates to the left and right. Couples who are using a middle seat will probably be better off choosing EF rather than DE, because the extra space to the right hand side of the E seat means the E and F seats are closer together.

Club World Main Deck
  • 10J definitely winner for the most length but partial barrier around feet and galley noise may be an issue. However, also first to get food!
  • 10A and 10K for window seats only. The rest have absolutely NO view as the wing is massive and all you see is reflecting Silver and a lot of flex!
  • There is a reported experience from 13AB of in-flight vibration and resonances which were enough to disturb sleep.
  • Avoid 15AB and 15JK due to proximity to the two loos that are right beside and behind this seat. (CW loo behind 15B and 15J, WT loo beside these seats although behind a curtain, near continuous use!)
  • General note: due to the curvature of the fuselage, the window seats on the main deck have a greater gap between the seat and cabin wall than the equivalent upper deck seats, thus providing more wiggle room for your legs and toes.

World Traveller Plus Upper Deck
Photos: courtesy of PETER01
  • Bulkhead seats: The legroom in the bulkhead rows of 60DEF, 61AB and 61JK is fairly good, but I’m not sure that I would take these for a night flight as you can still get closer to horizontal in the rows behind. If that’s your favoured sleeping position, the absence of leg-rests in those rows won’t matter too much.
  • Row 67: The quietness of the aircraft will mean that the toilets at the aft of the WT+ cabin are much more likely to be disturbing in this area (particularly to 67AB, 67DEF, 67JK and 68DEF) than, say, to 15AB on a mid-J 744.

World Traveller Upper Deck
  • Centre block bulkheads 70DEFG and 80DEFG have tables in fixed armrests, as one would expect. This noticeably constricts the width of the seat. The armrest between D and E is a conventional lift-up armrest – so if choosing these rows, D and E are better than F and G. Another thing about these bulkhead rows, which are in line with the exits, and the adjacent exit rows (70AB, 70JK, 80AB and 80JK), is that there is a noticeable hissing noise from the slipstream.
  • 80D and 80E are the same and could be great for space or for couples that want to lift the armrest during the flight to get closer or sleep.
  • Rear cabin: any WT seat in rows 80 to 83 would be very nice indeed as long as: there is not a stag group pissing it up here when you want to sleep! Apparently, they may offer this cabin to groups so need to be a bit careful in selecting this exclusive cabin. Also, there is noticeable galley noise in this rear cabin, and it gets worse the further aft you get.

World Traveller Main Deck
  • 25D is the throne seat on the Main Deck in WT. (no seat in front of them).
Print Wikipost

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2021, 4:45 am

Mrs Definitas likes the window but dislikes having to step over someone so we have chosen 53A/B overnight from ORD despite the risk of noise from the galley. However, I am sligh Concerned about light disturbance from the galley. Can anyone who has flown in 53B give an opinion based on experience? Thanks
Old Dec 18, 2021, 5:23 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by Definitas
Mrs Definitas likes the window but dislikes having to step over someone so we have chosen 53A/B overnight from ORD despite the risk of noise from the galley. However, I am sligh Concerned about light disturbance from the galley. Can anyone who has flown in 53B give an opinion based on experience? Thanks
The noise and light from the galley is disturbing and with the A380 so well sound proofed, it becomes even more noticeable vs other aircraft. I would suggest row 59A/B as that allows you aisle access without stepping over somebody while being far enough away from the galley to avoid disturbance.

Pilot37
Old Dec 18, 2021, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Pilot37
The noise and light from the galley is disturbing and with the A380 so well sound proofed, it becomes even more noticeable vs other aircraft.
Being in 53B or 53J are like flying with your head inside the galley. It's not the cabin crew's fault that you can hear everything, especially as they have learned over time that they need to be subtle in that galley. It's Mr Airbus' fault for making the aircraft so quiet.

I've noticed that on some flights, 53B and 53J are amongst the last seats to be taken in the front cabin. 53A and 53K don't suffer galley disturbance as badly, and themselves have the advantage of having direct access to the aisle, so they are often taken by solo travellers. One of the consequences is that 52A and 52K often end up having direct access to the aisle as well because 53B and 53J remain unoccupied. But that can't be depended on, and it's not very sociable for a couple to plan on flying in 52A and 53A.
Pilot37, Definitas and becks1 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Pilot37
The noise and light from the galley is disturbing and with the A380 so well sound proofed, it becomes even more noticeable vs other aircraft. I would suggest row 59A/B as that allows you aisle access without stepping over somebody while being far enough away from the galley to avoid disturbance.

Pilot37
I selected row 59 but was then put off by reports of noisy babies in the front row of WT+.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Definitas
I selected row 59 but was then put off by reports of noisy babies in the front row of WT+.
I don't think I've ever had cause to complain about noise made by a baby flying in WT+. The worst experience was one that didn't shut up until the seat belt sign was turned off in the climb, and then promptly fell asleep. A lot of baby behaviour reflects how stressed its parents are at the particular phase of the flight, and the WT+ cabin is generally a calmer, less nervy and less excited place.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 5:48 pm

Programs: BA
I'll be flying first on the a380 with my partner, currently booked into 2 E and F. I was wondering if these seats are worth it when travelling as a 2 or are they laid out in such a way it's hard to talk etc? Recently flew lufthansa and it was really nice being sat next to each other and being able to talk.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by biertje
I'll be flying first on the a380 with my partner, currently booked into 2 E and F. I was wondering if these seats are worth it when travelling as a 2 or are they laid out in such a way it's hard to talk etc? Recently flew lufthansa and it was really nice being sat next to each other and being able to talk.

Hi,

For talking these are probably the best seats. ( you may need to lean forward a bit and lower the divider screen between the seats). You can also use the buddy seat if you want to dine together as the A380F has not got rid of the buddy seat yet)

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 25, 2022, 4:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Le Club Accorhotels Plat; Marriott Gold
A380 economy seating.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why there is a skipped seat in this row on A380? Apologies if it has been discussed, I searched but failed to find an answer

Old Feb 25, 2022, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi

Yes you have missed it
( OK search is hard sometimes)

The gap is where the emergency exit for the crew bunk area below deck is

I belive the 25d seat is sometimes referred to as the throne seat as it has excellent legroom
Regards.

Tbs
tenn_ace and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 4:48 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
It's in here - you need to expand the wiki at the top of page 1: BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread
Old Feb 25, 2022, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi

Yes you have missed it
( OK search is hard sometimes)

The gap is where the emergency exit for the crew bunk area below deck is

I belive the 25d seat is sometimes referred to as the throne seat as it has excellent legroom
Regards.

Tbs

thank you for the explanation and for being kind 🤗
The _Banking_Scot and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by vintagepilot
It's in here - you need to expand the wiki at the top of page 1: BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread
thank you as well 🤗
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 5:52 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
See also

FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trip Report : Flyertalk goes on board the new BA Airbus A380

for an exclusive "beneath the carpet" view of this particular non-seat.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

For talking these are probably the best seats. ( you may need to lean forward a bit and lower the divider screen between the seats). You can also use the buddy seat if you want to dine together as the A380F has not got rid of the buddy seat yet)

Regards

TBS
I was curious what is the buddy seat?

Also if you sit in seats like AB or JK - wouldn't you be able to see each other and talk as they are in front of you if you pull the partition down or cannot you not talk.

I posted here: business Class Seat on a380 vs 777

I didn't know there were these threads. So going to repeat my questions

1) If we don't pick seats and wait until 24 hours before - how likely are we to get seats together?
2) I am confused on which seats to even pick. For example we are two couples traveling..which seats allow you to talk etc. Is it the two ont eh side like row 13 and 14 A, B, that those two facing each other you can talk etc. OR the two in the middle like EF ?
3) SHould we stay on the main level or upper deck?
Old Mar 16, 2022, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bgsnmky
I was curious what is the buddy seat?
The buddy seat is a feature of the First seat, but not a Club seat.
Originally Posted by Bgsnmky
Also if you sit in seats like AB or JK - wouldn't you be able to see each other and talk as they are in front of you if you pull the partition down ...
In Club: Yes, you can talk because the A and B seat passengers face each other. If the partition is down, they can hold hands through the gap, too. All may be clearer from this seat map: https://www.aerolopa.com/ba-type-38a

Some people find this a more natural way for a couple to travel together and talk, rather than sitting side-by-side. You wouldn't often choose to sit side-by-side in a restaurant if you could face each other or be at 90 degrees to each other. An aircraft is no different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.