Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Code: 388

Upper deck

Main deck

Summarizing based on comments thus far:

First

This post shows the seat map and individual seat ratings for First:

First Cabin A380 Seat Ratings
In order of rating:
  1. 2 A/K
  2. 1 A/K
  3. 3 A/K
  4. 2 E/F
  5. 3 E/F
  6. 4 E/F
  7. 4 A/K

Club World Upper deck
  • 50AB and 50JK: the B and J seats don’t have anyone climbing over them. There’s nothing else ahead of these seats, so this area should be fairly quiet. However, the A and K seats ... would have to lean forward a long way to look out of the single window serving this row. Good if you like having a very private space and don’t mind stepping over someone to get out. Bad if you like looking out of the window.
  • 50J for longest bed is the best. However, you only have a curtain between you and the stairs and right hand side forward loo. Should be okay but might be noisy. Partial barrier around feet.
  • 51D and 51F: no half barrier either so very good for tall people and first row of CW cabin so good for food and ease of access to loo without any galley.
  • 53AB and 53JK: the window seats have direct aisle access, so in theory these would be a lot like 64A and 64K on the 744. Unfortunately, potentially noisy.
  • 56B has a bit of extra length but also a partial barrier.
  • 59AB and 59JK: the window seats here also have direct aisle access. However, as others have mentioned, because the CW and WT+ cabins partly overlap at this point, these seats (and particularly the heads of the 59B and 59J passengers) are directly in line with the WT+ centre bulkhead bassinets, so possible noise concerns if baby behind. You can see the close proximity in the photo above for 60 DEF
  • Middle seats: since there's only a single middle seat, it's rather nice and isolated and private, at least while the dividers are up. When dividers go down it's face to face with your seatmates to the left and right. Couples who are using a middle seat will probably be better off choosing EF rather than DE, because the extra space to the right hand side of the E seat means the E and F seats are closer together.

Club World Main Deck
  • 10J definitely winner for the most length but partial barrier around feet and galley noise may be an issue. However, also first to get food!
  • 10A and 10K for window seats only. The rest have absolutely NO view as the wing is massive and all you see is reflecting Silver and a lot of flex!
  • There is a reported experience from 13AB of in-flight vibration and resonances which were enough to disturb sleep.
  • Avoid 15AB and 15JK due to proximity to the two loos that are right beside and behind this seat. (CW loo behind 15B and 15J, WT loo beside these seats although behind a curtain, near continuous use!)
  • General note: due to the curvature of the fuselage, the window seats on the main deck have a greater gap between the seat and cabin wall than the equivalent upper deck seats, thus providing more wiggle room for your legs and toes.

World Traveller Plus Upper Deck
Photos: courtesy of PETER01
  • Bulkhead seats: The legroom in the bulkhead rows of 60DEF, 61AB and 61JK is fairly good, but I’m not sure that I would take these for a night flight as you can still get closer to horizontal in the rows behind. If that’s your favoured sleeping position, the absence of leg-rests in those rows won’t matter too much.
  • Row 67: The quietness of the aircraft will mean that the toilets at the aft of the WT+ cabin are much more likely to be disturbing in this area (particularly to 67AB, 67DEF, 67JK and 68DEF) than, say, to 15AB on a mid-J 744.

World Traveller Upper Deck
  • Centre block bulkheads 70DEFG and 80DEFG have tables in fixed armrests, as one would expect. This noticeably constricts the width of the seat. The armrest between D and E is a conventional lift-up armrest – so if choosing these rows, D and E are better than F and G. Another thing about these bulkhead rows, which are in line with the exits, and the adjacent exit rows (70AB, 70JK, 80AB and 80JK), is that there is a noticeable hissing noise from the slipstream.
  • 80D and 80E are the same and could be great for space or for couples that want to lift the armrest during the flight to get closer or sleep.
  • Rear cabin: any WT seat in rows 80 to 83 would be very nice indeed as long as: there is not a stag group pissing it up here when you want to sleep! Apparently, they may offer this cabin to groups so need to be a bit careful in selecting this exclusive cabin. Also, there is noticeable galley noise in this rear cabin, and it gets worse the further aft you get.

World Traveller Main Deck
  • 25D is the throne seat on the Main Deck in WT. (no seat in front of them).
Print Wikipost

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Old Dec 14, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by jamesn00
How about family of 3 in CW - 1 adult & 2 experienced traveller kids (8&11)?
Not sure what to pick. Currently have Upper Deck, 1 window pair with the window seat of the row in front. I'll probably take the aisle seat and give the kids the 2 windows.
52A or K combined with 53A,B or 53J,K.

Remember that aisle seats are stepped over by the person in the preceding window seat, so if you have 2 windows and an aisle the aisle should be the higher row number - the advantage of doing this with 52/53 is that the 53 window seat has no row 54 to step over.
jamesn00 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 3:36 am

Hi, terrified flyer here booked to fly on the A380 in April back from Miami. Want to book seats so that I am definitely with my family and need 4 seats as a 2 and 2 behind. Trying to decide between 77&78 j/k and 24&25 j/k.

First pairs have the obvious advantage of being upstairs (I was too slow to get the seats we wanted further forward in this cabin) and in a 2 configuration, but am I right that row 78 is literally right next to the toilet door?

Second pairs are lower deck so will have someone in the aisle seat but have the advantage for me at least that they are much further forward - I am terrified of turbulence and just the idea of being near the back of the plane scares me. What I can't work out is how much I'll be able to see out of the window from the lower deck as all photos I can find are taken of the view from the upper deck - I realise these seats are on the trailing edge of the wing so forward view will be all wing but am hopeful that I could see down looking backwards if that makes sense. I need to be able to see some sky or it just feels horiibly claustrophobic.

If anyone has any advice/has sat in any of these rows it would be gratefully received, thank you
Old Mar 9, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Do 70A and K still have the extra storage compartments? Don't care about the missing window.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 1:58 am

I can choose my seat tomorrow on A380 CW 19/03/20 LHR to IAD at the moment lots of upper deck window seats still available, I’m going to go for 53 if it’s still free as I can get out without stepping over anyone but any preference over 53A or 53k?

or would anyone go for a different row entirely?

Thanks
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Bluesky30
I can choose my seat tomorrow on A380 CW 19/03/20 LHR to IAD at the moment lots of upper deck window seats still available, I’m going to go for 53 if it’s still free as I can get out without stepping over anyone but any preference over 53A or 53k?
53K - it's on the shady side.
esledo likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Mordac
Do 70A and K still have the extra storage compartments? Don't care about the missing window.
There's no side storage bins for the exit rows in 70 (and 80)
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
53K - it's on the shady side.
thanks- that’ll be my choice then if it’s still free tomorrow
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by PETER01
There's no side storage bins for the exit rows in 70 (and 80)
Thanks, standard window and pray for theoretical seating to work it is.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Bluesky30

or would anyone go for a different row entirely?

Thanks
If your flight is anything like the 217 on Tuesday March 10 then you'll have the cabin to yourself, never mind a pair of seats.

Bill
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by cumbrianbill
If your flight is anything like the 217 on Tuesday March 10 then you'll have the cabin to yourself, never mind a pair of seats.

Bill
its looking pretty empty at the moment
Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:07 am

Hi!

I'm looking to go BA12 SIN to LHR (night flight) with my wife in CW next April.
Currently seats in CW are wide open and I would really appreciate some advice please.

We don't have to sit together and my wife will just sleep, so the best seats will be quiet-ish ones we don't have to step over or get stepped over.
My thoughts are:
  1. 53A and 53K - direct aisle access and upper deck so apparently quieter and better served
  2. Apparently 14E/F are good seats for couples and have direct aisle access. But are on lower deck and i think 14E is greyed out for babies. not good for sleep!

I'm 6ft 2 if that makes a difference. This will be my first CW experience
Many thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Benm007
...BA12 SIN to LHR (night flight) with my wife in CW next April.
Currently seats in CW are wide open and I would really appreciate some advice please.

We don't have to sit together and my wife will just sleep....
It’s a very long flight, it’s likely you’ll both be awake in the morning, so consider sitting together. Row 53 would be my pick.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:21 am

Many thanks for your reply!
Is there a better side of the plane for e.g. avoiding sunrise?
Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Benm007
Many thanks for your reply!
Is there a better side of the plane for e.g. avoiding sunrise?
Have a look here: SunFlight.net - Day and Night Flight Map

Note that I have no guarantee on how accurate it is, but when I have used it in the past it seems to be relatively accurate.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 4:04 am

Thats great, thanks. So 53J/K might be my pick

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.