Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Code: 388

Upper deck

Main deck

Summarizing based on comments thus far:

First

This post shows the seat map and individual seat ratings for First:

First Cabin A380 Seat Ratings
In order of rating:
  1. 2 A/K
  2. 1 A/K
  3. 3 A/K
  4. 2 E/F
  5. 3 E/F
  6. 4 E/F
  7. 4 A/K

Club World Upper deck
  • 50AB and 50JK: the B and J seats don’t have anyone climbing over them. There’s nothing else ahead of these seats, so this area should be fairly quiet. However, the A and K seats ... would have to lean forward a long way to look out of the single window serving this row. Good if you like having a very private space and don’t mind stepping over someone to get out. Bad if you like looking out of the window.
  • 50J for longest bed is the best. However, you only have a curtain between you and the stairs and right hand side forward loo. Should be okay but might be noisy. Partial barrier around feet.
  • 51D and 51F: no half barrier either so very good for tall people and first row of CW cabin so good for food and ease of access to loo without any galley.
  • 53AB and 53JK: the window seats have direct aisle access, so in theory these would be a lot like 64A and 64K on the 744. Unfortunately, potentially noisy.
  • 56B has a bit of extra length but also a partial barrier.
  • 59AB and 59JK: the window seats here also have direct aisle access. However, as others have mentioned, because the CW and WT+ cabins partly overlap at this point, these seats (and particularly the heads of the 59B and 59J passengers) are directly in line with the WT+ centre bulkhead bassinets, so possible noise concerns if baby behind. You can see the close proximity in the photo above for 60 DEF
  • Middle seats: since there's only a single middle seat, it's rather nice and isolated and private, at least while the dividers are up. When dividers go down it's face to face with your seatmates to the left and right. Couples who are using a middle seat will probably be better off choosing EF rather than DE, because the extra space to the right hand side of the E seat means the E and F seats are closer together.

Club World Main Deck
  • 10J definitely winner for the most length but partial barrier around feet and galley noise may be an issue. However, also first to get food!
  • 10A and 10K for window seats only. The rest have absolutely NO view as the wing is massive and all you see is reflecting Silver and a lot of flex!
  • There is a reported experience from 13AB of in-flight vibration and resonances which were enough to disturb sleep.
  • Avoid 15AB and 15JK due to proximity to the two loos that are right beside and behind this seat. (CW loo behind 15B and 15J, WT loo beside these seats although behind a curtain, near continuous use!)
  • General note: due to the curvature of the fuselage, the window seats on the main deck have a greater gap between the seat and cabin wall than the equivalent upper deck seats, thus providing more wiggle room for your legs and toes.

World Traveller Plus Upper Deck
Photos: courtesy of PETER01
  • Bulkhead seats: The legroom in the bulkhead rows of 60DEF, 61AB and 61JK is fairly good, but I’m not sure that I would take these for a night flight as you can still get closer to horizontal in the rows behind. If that’s your favoured sleeping position, the absence of leg-rests in those rows won’t matter too much.
  • Row 67: The quietness of the aircraft will mean that the toilets at the aft of the WT+ cabin are much more likely to be disturbing in this area (particularly to 67AB, 67DEF, 67JK and 68DEF) than, say, to 15AB on a mid-J 744.

World Traveller Upper Deck
  • Centre block bulkheads 70DEFG and 80DEFG have tables in fixed armrests, as one would expect. This noticeably constricts the width of the seat. The armrest between D and E is a conventional lift-up armrest – so if choosing these rows, D and E are better than F and G. Another thing about these bulkhead rows, which are in line with the exits, and the adjacent exit rows (70AB, 70JK, 80AB and 80JK), is that there is a noticeable hissing noise from the slipstream.
  • 80D and 80E are the same and could be great for space or for couples that want to lift the armrest during the flight to get closer or sleep.
  • Rear cabin: any WT seat in rows 80 to 83 would be very nice indeed as long as: there is not a stag group pissing it up here when you want to sleep! Apparently, they may offer this cabin to groups so need to be a bit careful in selecting this exclusive cabin. Also, there is noticeable galley noise in this rear cabin, and it gets worse the further aft you get.

World Traveller Main Deck
  • 25D is the throne seat on the Main Deck in WT. (no seat in front of them).
Print Wikipost

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Globaliser
F9 A6 means that the airline is currently prepared to take up to 9 reservations in F booking class at one time
It actually means "at least 9" / "9 or more" reservations.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by esledo
It actually means "at least 9" / "9 or more" reservations.
I originally typed "up to at least 9" but I thought that might be confusing, so I stuck to the same meaning of "up to" for both parts of the sentence and left out the complication that 9 often indicates that the airline will take more than 9.

But good luck to you if you want to make more than 9 at any one time through a conventional GDS-powered channel. AIUI, you'll usually get punted off to groups by most airlines.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: LH SEN
For sure more than 9 seats will be a group reservation but that does not change the fact that airline may be ready to sell more than 9 seats into that fare. Anyhow, Amadeus availability display always shows a maximum availability of "9 seats" even if the flight was wide open. But maybe that is enough of this matter.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by esledo
For sure more than 9 seats will be a group reservation but that does not change the fact that airline may be ready to sell more than 9 seats into that fare. Anyhow, Amadeus availability display always shows a maximum availability of "9 seats" even if the flight was wide open.
So:-
F9 A6 means that the airline is currently prepared to take up to at least 9 reservations in F booking class at one time, or to take up to 6 reservations in A booking class at one time.
Happy now?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:48 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Globaliser
So:-
F9 A6 means that the airline is currently prepared to take up to at least 9 reservations in F booking class at one time, or to take up to 6 reservations in A booking class at one time.
Happy now?
It's a bit pedantic but you can remove the first use of the words "up to" from the above and achieve the same meaning with fewer words which - in the interests of clarity - is probably a good thing
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfmad
It's a bit pedantic but you can remove the first use of the words "up to" from the above and achieve the same meaning with fewer words which - in the interests of clarity - is probably a good thing
The point is that "up to" means the same in relation to F as it does in relation to A. The numbers apply only until the first reservation is made (assuming that RM doesn't fiddle with the numbers in the interim). Thereafter, you have to look again at the numbers, both for F and A. If it's F9, you can only be assured of getting 9 at one time once; moreover, you can only be assured of getting 1 at one time once. In theory, once someone has booked one F seat, F9 could go straight to F0. Hence the convoluted wording: these are not tins of baked beans stacked on the supermarket shelf.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Hello thank you Globaliser, I have gone with Friday 3E for now.

Missus and child (8yr old) are heading out a couple of weeks early, the whole cabin is pretty much empty, with only 2A taken. 1A/K look too far apart, so I think its a toss up between 2E/F side by side, or 2F/K which are across the aisle. Any parents with experience on which is the better setup? I feel across the aisle gives her easier access to sort him out, tuck him in etc.

Thank you.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
50 AB or JK- any difference

HI
Got a night flight from YVR to LHR. The wife likes to sit next to me and doesn't like people climbing over her and I quite prefer the window seat which meant that the options are 50, 56 or 10 AB, JK. Since we prefer the quieter less dense upper deck and avoiding galley and toilet, row 50 seems best. I am aware that there are windows missing on 50 AK but it being a night flight mostly, not too fussed. Are the front larger toilets far enough from B or J side not to be an issue? Also do people have a preference either for AB or JK side? Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:19 pm

Does anyone have seat recommendations for a BA A380 flight in WT+? I prefer aisle seats, but the question is really whether a bulkhead aisle seat is better than an aisle seat on the second or third row (of the WT+ cabin)?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Dselvan
HI
Got a night flight from YVR to LHR. The wife likes to sit next to me and doesn't like people climbing over her and I quite prefer the window seat which meant that the options are 50, 56 or 10 AB, JK. Since we prefer the quieter less dense upper deck and avoiding galley and toilet, row 50 seems best. I am aware that there are windows missing on 50 AK but it being a night flight mostly, not too fussed. Are the front larger toilets far enough from B or J side not to be an issue? Also do people have a preference either for AB or JK side? Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
Hi,

You will have the curtain ahead of 50B and 50J then a gap before the toilet door. The windows on 50AK are by the footstool IIRC.

Probably not much of a difference although 50 AB will be closer to the upper deck door for boarding/exiting.

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:15 am

We have booked an economy Avios red eye flight from Hong Kong back to Manchester via London. The HKG to LHR leg is on the A380 and I'm tempted to pay for seats together in the pair configuration on the upper deck. Does anyone have any recommendations for economy seats? I'm tempted to go for 83JK so I don't get anyone kicking the back of the seat and recline doesn't seem to be restricted. I know it maybe a little noisy but I'm partly deaf anyway so that shouldn't be an issue. Anyone have any personal recommendations?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:18 am

Traveling with Mrs. Flyinright on A380-800 to LON and looking at two seat choices: 51D & E or 14A & B

On seat map looks like there's some extra space below the row 14, anyone know why that is?

Criteria:
  • Sitting facing each other so both options seem to match that
  • Prefer one seat where don't have people stepping over me so 51D seems good but think I read it's bulkhead so shorter span to lay out (anyone know how long of a person can comfortably fit)? Any other downside?
  • Window would be nice but upper deck windows full in 1st portion (like 51 and 52 - anyone know why that section is booked quicker than 57/58 portion, anything worse about the second part of CW?)
  • Quiet is important, 56D & E looks like 56D has more leg room but I've read about all the galley noise - is that mostly for dinner and then breakfast or also middle of night with people getting snacks?
Thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:28 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by flyinright
Traveling with Mrs. Flyinright on A380-800 to LON and looking at two seat choices: 51D & E or 14A & B

On seat map looks like there's some extra space below the row 14, anyone know why that is?

Criteria:
  • Sitting facing each other so both options seem to match that
  • Prefer one seat where don't have people stepping over me so 51D seems good but think I read it's bulkhead so shorter span to lay out (anyone know how long of a person can comfortably fit)? Any other downside?
  • Window would be nice but upper deck windows full in 1st portion (like 51 and 52 - anyone know why that section is booked quicker than 57/58 portion, anything worse about the second part of CW?)
  • Quiet is important, 56D & E looks like 56D has more leg room but I've read about all the galley noise - is that mostly for dinner and then breakfast or also middle of night with people getting snacks?
Thanks!
Yes both options will see you face to face.

51D has a little extra legroom as there is no one in front of you. (see the Wiki which goes into a little more detail and there is a photo) This front UD cabin is very quiet and as you are travelling to London and therefor an overnight trip this is a good option. The front of CW fills quicker as there is less foot traffic.

Personally, I'd keep away from 56D as it's next to the galley.

14A/B are good but 14A will have to step over anyone in 15B. What you are seeing re a 'space' is in MMB is just a seating misformat. It's a standard seat and there is row 15 directly behind.

http://thebasource.com/seatmaps/380/...w303ymain.html

The 2nd half of the CW cabin is quiet and I've been in 59K twice recently and liked it. 51D and E will be quiet ish but keep a regular eye of the seat map including at OLCI and don't print your BP until as late as possible as you can change seats if you do this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by rachelandgromit
We have booked an economy Avios red eye flight from Hong Kong back to Manchester via London. The HKG to LHR leg is on the A380 and I'm tempted to pay for seats together in the pair configuration on the upper deck. Does anyone have any recommendations for economy seats? I'm tempted to go for 83JK so I don't get anyone kicking the back of the seat and recline doesn't seem to be restricted. I know it maybe a little noisy but I'm partly deaf anyway so that shouldn't be an issue. Anyone have any personal recommendations?
I'd pick the rear mini cabin for a HKG-LHR overnighter.

See posts 1618 and especially 1619 for a comprehensive review of the rear mini cabin and there's more info in the Wiki too. There is no recline restriction in row 83 and if the opportunity to pay for exit seats arises for such a long flight i think it is worth it.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by puchong
Does anyone have seat recommendations for a BA A380 flight in WT+? I prefer aisle seats, but the question is really whether a bulkhead aisle seat is better than an aisle seat on the second or third row (of the WT+ cabin)?
See this which may help. I'd choose an aisle bulkhead, row 61, on the A380 long before an ordinary aisle seat a bit further back. These front seats 61 A and K specifically and also row 60, 60 D and F are bassinet seats just to be aware but I've been lucky so far!

WTP Seats

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.