Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Code: 388

Upper deck

Main deck

Summarizing based on comments thus far:

First

This post shows the seat map and individual seat ratings for First:

First Cabin A380 Seat Ratings
In order of rating:
  1. 2 A/K
  2. 1 A/K
  3. 3 A/K
  4. 2 E/F
  5. 3 E/F
  6. 4 E/F
  7. 4 A/K

Club World Upper deck
  • 50AB and 50JK: the B and J seats don’t have anyone climbing over them. There’s nothing else ahead of these seats, so this area should be fairly quiet. However, the A and K seats ... would have to lean forward a long way to look out of the single window serving this row. Good if you like having a very private space and don’t mind stepping over someone to get out. Bad if you like looking out of the window.
  • 50J for longest bed is the best. However, you only have a curtain between you and the stairs and right hand side forward loo. Should be okay but might be noisy. Partial barrier around feet.
  • 51D and 51F: no half barrier either so very good for tall people and first row of CW cabin so good for food and ease of access to loo without any galley.
  • 53AB and 53JK: the window seats have direct aisle access, so in theory these would be a lot like 64A and 64K on the 744. Unfortunately, potentially noisy.
  • 56B has a bit of extra length but also a partial barrier.
  • 59AB and 59JK: the window seats here also have direct aisle access. However, as others have mentioned, because the CW and WT+ cabins partly overlap at this point, these seats (and particularly the heads of the 59B and 59J passengers) are directly in line with the WT+ centre bulkhead bassinets, so possible noise concerns if baby behind. You can see the close proximity in the photo above for 60 DEF
  • Middle seats: since there's only a single middle seat, it's rather nice and isolated and private, at least while the dividers are up. When dividers go down it's face to face with your seatmates to the left and right. Couples who are using a middle seat will probably be better off choosing EF rather than DE, because the extra space to the right hand side of the E seat means the E and F seats are closer together.

Club World Main Deck
  • 10J definitely winner for the most length but partial barrier around feet and galley noise may be an issue. However, also first to get food!
  • 10A and 10K for window seats only. The rest have absolutely NO view as the wing is massive and all you see is reflecting Silver and a lot of flex!
  • There is a reported experience from 13AB of in-flight vibration and resonances which were enough to disturb sleep.
  • Avoid 15AB and 15JK due to proximity to the two loos that are right beside and behind this seat. (CW loo behind 15B and 15J, WT loo beside these seats although behind a curtain, near continuous use!)
  • General note: due to the curvature of the fuselage, the window seats on the main deck have a greater gap between the seat and cabin wall than the equivalent upper deck seats, thus providing more wiggle room for your legs and toes.

World Traveller Plus Upper Deck
Photos: courtesy of PETER01
  • Bulkhead seats: The legroom in the bulkhead rows of 60DEF, 61AB and 61JK is fairly good, but I’m not sure that I would take these for a night flight as you can still get closer to horizontal in the rows behind. If that’s your favoured sleeping position, the absence of leg-rests in those rows won’t matter too much.
  • Row 67: The quietness of the aircraft will mean that the toilets at the aft of the WT+ cabin are much more likely to be disturbing in this area (particularly to 67AB, 67DEF, 67JK and 68DEF) than, say, to 15AB on a mid-J 744.

World Traveller Upper Deck
  • Centre block bulkheads 70DEFG and 80DEFG have tables in fixed armrests, as one would expect. This noticeably constricts the width of the seat. The armrest between D and E is a conventional lift-up armrest – so if choosing these rows, D and E are better than F and G. Another thing about these bulkhead rows, which are in line with the exits, and the adjacent exit rows (70AB, 70JK, 80AB and 80JK), is that there is a noticeable hissing noise from the slipstream.
  • 80D and 80E are the same and could be great for space or for couples that want to lift the armrest during the flight to get closer or sleep.
  • Rear cabin: any WT seat in rows 80 to 83 would be very nice indeed as long as: there is not a stag group pissing it up here when you want to sleep! Apparently, they may offer this cabin to groups so need to be a bit careful in selecting this exclusive cabin. Also, there is noticeable galley noise in this rear cabin, and it gets worse the further aft you get.

World Traveller Main Deck
  • 25D is the throne seat on the Main Deck in WT. (no seat in front of them).
Print Wikipost

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:30 pm

Help! 50A or 15K?

To all experts: I know 50A has no windows but it's a night flight and it will be a quiet private area (need to step over someone to get out)
15K no need to step over and has windows but next to the toilet.

Curious why 50A is more expensive to upgrade

Any advice from travellers who've tried please let me know
Old Jul 10, 2018, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, gordon888!
Originally Posted by gordon888
Curious why 50A is more expensive to upgrade
Anecdotally, I've heard that the UD is more popular with regulars. From looking at seat maps in the run-up to a flight, I get the impression that it's the forward cabin on the upper deck that gets most attention. It may be that this is not entirely deserved, especially if people think that the experience is anything like the 747 upper deck (it's a world removed from that), but if that is the pattern of demand then it's not hard to see why it costs more to select a seat up there.

Is the cost the same in the aft cabin on the upper deck?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Arrived at bag drop and queried the seat numbers. They said it's a known glitch- we were happily in 2E/F...NOT in WTP ! Nice crew, but a bit slapdash...no newspapers offered, had to ask for PJs and washbags. Chocolates after dinner only offered down the right side of acft etc etc..
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:30 am

Even without chocolates that's quite the upgrade. lol
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by no longer atc
Arrived at bag drop and queried the seat numbers. They said it's a known glitch- we were happily in 2E/F...NOT in WTP ! Nice crew, but a bit slapdash...no newspapers offered, had to ask for PJs and washbags. Chocolates after dinner only offered down the right side of acft etc etc..
That's a result! Was it a full flight and a couple of double OP-UPs or something else or just unknown?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Had lovely crew overnight JNB-LHR Saturday night on the 380. Mrs Nivsy and I were in 2E and 2F. All amenities provided and well looked after with a confident friendly crew in the first cabin. Liked the seats which are great for a couple. Aircraft did feel a little warm overnight. I would recommend the seats though for a couple.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Sorry- should have been clearer- we were booked in F...just couldn't figure out why it said WTP as the class..
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:30 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by no longer atc
Sorry- should have been clearer- we were booked in F...just couldn't figure out why it said WTP as the class..
Ok, I had completely misunderstood your original post. I thought you had booked WTP but were surprised to be showing seats up front. Never mind. Glad it worked out for you.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:49 pm

I did some searching, but didn't find my questions asked/answered:

In BA First on the A380, for a couple flying together which of the center seat pairs is preferred?

* I notice from pictures that 2EF appear to be under a sloped ceiling due to the forward stairs angling upwards. Does the stairway overhead lead to a more closed in feeling vs 3EF which appear to be free from this overhead feature? Does 2EF feel more private than 3EF?
* Is there more noise or light from the lavatories and any cabin crew storage up front that can disturb the folks in 2EF vs 3EF?
* Are the center seats positioned in such a way that it is relatively easy to chat with your seatmate, or does it require leaning forward for any real conversation?
* Would most couples be just as happy or happier in 2A/3A and using the buddy seat to dine together and visit?

Many thanks for any observations or preferences to be shared.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Originally Posted by gstork
I did some searching, but didn't find my questions asked/answered:

In BA First on the A380, for a couple flying together which of the center seat pairs is preferred?

* I notice from pictures that 2EF appear to be under a sloped ceiling due to the forward stairs angling upwards. Does the stairway overhead lead to a more closed in feeling vs 3EF which appear to be free from this overhead feature? Does 2EF feel more private than 3EF?
* Is there more noise or light from the lavatories and any cabin crew storage up front that can disturb the folks in 2EF vs 3EF?
* Are the center seats positioned in such a way that it is relatively easy to chat with your seatmate, or does it require leaning forward for any real conversation?
* Would most couples be just as happy or happier in 2A/3A and using the buddy seat to dine together and visit?

Many thanks for any observations or preferences to be shared.
There is a slight slope but does not impede nor cause any feeling of enclosure. There are no overhead bins thus "ceiling" still high. The seats are positioned that allows in my view reasonable conversation with partner. Also ofcourse you can sit opposite partner in the "seat" (that forms part of foot rest and bed). There is a seat belt there also. Large divider can be popped up at any time when conversation runs dry!! I like these middle seats in row 2.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:59 am

Having just come back from ORD IN 2E/F I feel qualified to comment...didn't feel hemmed in at all, in fact couldn't really see any difference between rows 2 and 3. There was very little light pollution from galley, in short, they were fine seats x
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
I'm looking to go to HKG in december. On the Friday that I want to go, there is only whole of row 4, and 3E left. On thursday, 2E/F are also available with 1K being 'blocked' which I presume I would be able to get? And on the Saturday, every single seat seems to be available which is odd!

I could go on any of the three days but Friday would probably be best. Are row 4 or 3E half decent or is it worth flying on a different day?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by benjai
And on the Saturday, every single seat seems to be available which is odd!
On the Thursday, availability in the F cabin is currently F9 A6. On Friday, it's F4 A1. On Saturday, it's F9 A9. So the seat allocations you describe match the availability figures, which (leaving aside tea-leaf reading about op-ups at that time of the year) are themselves no surprise given how many reasons people will have for flying on the Friday night immediately before Christmas.

I've been in 3EF as part of a couple and have found it difficult to say whether I prefer 2EF. So if 3E is available, I certainly wouldn't regard seat availability as a reason for flying on a different day (although in any event I seldom have the luxury of changing flights let alone dates just to get a supposedly better seat on the aircraft).
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
On the Thursday, availability in the F cabin is currently F9 A6. On Friday, it's F4 A1. On Saturday, it's F9 A9. So the seat allocations you describe match the availability figures, which (leaving aside tea-leaf reading about op-ups at that time of the year) are themselves no surprise given how many reasons people will have for flying on the Friday night immediately before Christmas.

I've been in 3EF as part of a couple and have found it difficult to say whether I prefer 2EF. So if 3E is available, I certainly wouldn't regard seat availability as a reason for flying on a different day (although in any event I seldom have the luxury of changing flights let alone dates just to get a supposedly better seat on the aircraft).
Thanks! Will take Friday for now then and see what my holiday plans are.

Can I ask what does F9 A6 indicate? Does it mean that there are 9 F class tickets and 6 A available? And is this from the paid version of expert flyer?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by benjai
Can I ask what does F9 A6 indicate? Does it mean that there are 9 F class tickets and 6 A available? And is this from the paid version of expert flyer?
Yes, that's from the full EF functionality.

F9 A6 means that the airline is currently prepared to take up to 9 reservations in F booking class at one time, or to take up to 6 reservations in A booking class at one time. It's important to remember that this does not mean that only 14 - 9 = 5 reservations have so far been taken for the First cabin. Nor does it mean that the airline will currently take 15 reservations for the First cabin, because the F and A figures are not cumulative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.