Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Code: 388

Upper deck

Main deck

Summarizing based on comments thus far:

First

This post shows the seat map and individual seat ratings for First:

First Cabin A380 Seat Ratings
In order of rating:
  1. 2 A/K
  2. 1 A/K
  3. 3 A/K
  4. 2 E/F
  5. 3 E/F
  6. 4 E/F
  7. 4 A/K

Club World Upper deck
  • 50AB and 50JK: the B and J seats don’t have anyone climbing over them. There’s nothing else ahead of these seats, so this area should be fairly quiet. However, the A and K seats ... would have to lean forward a long way to look out of the single window serving this row. Good if you like having a very private space and don’t mind stepping over someone to get out. Bad if you like looking out of the window.
  • 50J for longest bed is the best. However, you only have a curtain between you and the stairs and right hand side forward loo. Should be okay but might be noisy. Partial barrier around feet.
  • 51D and 51F: no half barrier either so very good for tall people and first row of CW cabin so good for food and ease of access to loo without any galley.
  • 53AB and 53JK: the window seats have direct aisle access, so in theory these would be a lot like 64A and 64K on the 744. Unfortunately, potentially noisy.
  • 56B has a bit of extra length but also a partial barrier.
  • 59AB and 59JK: the window seats here also have direct aisle access. However, as others have mentioned, because the CW and WT+ cabins partly overlap at this point, these seats (and particularly the heads of the 59B and 59J passengers) are directly in line with the WT+ centre bulkhead bassinets, so possible noise concerns if baby behind. You can see the close proximity in the photo above for 60 DEF
  • Middle seats: since there's only a single middle seat, it's rather nice and isolated and private, at least while the dividers are up. When dividers go down it's face to face with your seatmates to the left and right. Couples who are using a middle seat will probably be better off choosing EF rather than DE, because the extra space to the right hand side of the E seat means the E and F seats are closer together.

Club World Main Deck
  • 10J definitely winner for the most length but partial barrier around feet and galley noise may be an issue. However, also first to get food!
  • 10A and 10K for window seats only. The rest have absolutely NO view as the wing is massive and all you see is reflecting Silver and a lot of flex!
  • There is a reported experience from 13AB of in-flight vibration and resonances which were enough to disturb sleep.
  • Avoid 15AB and 15JK due to proximity to the two loos that are right beside and behind this seat. (CW loo behind 15B and 15J, WT loo beside these seats although behind a curtain, near continuous use!)
  • General note: due to the curvature of the fuselage, the window seats on the main deck have a greater gap between the seat and cabin wall than the equivalent upper deck seats, thus providing more wiggle room for your legs and toes.

World Traveller Plus Upper Deck
Photos: courtesy of PETER01
  • Bulkhead seats: The legroom in the bulkhead rows of 60DEF, 61AB and 61JK is fairly good, but I’m not sure that I would take these for a night flight as you can still get closer to horizontal in the rows behind. If that’s your favoured sleeping position, the absence of leg-rests in those rows won’t matter too much.
  • Row 67: The quietness of the aircraft will mean that the toilets at the aft of the WT+ cabin are much more likely to be disturbing in this area (particularly to 67AB, 67DEF, 67JK and 68DEF) than, say, to 15AB on a mid-J 744.

World Traveller Upper Deck
  • Centre block bulkheads 70DEFG and 80DEFG have tables in fixed armrests, as one would expect. This noticeably constricts the width of the seat. The armrest between D and E is a conventional lift-up armrest – so if choosing these rows, D and E are better than F and G. Another thing about these bulkhead rows, which are in line with the exits, and the adjacent exit rows (70AB, 70JK, 80AB and 80JK), is that there is a noticeable hissing noise from the slipstream.
  • 80D and 80E are the same and could be great for space or for couples that want to lift the armrest during the flight to get closer or sleep.
  • Rear cabin: any WT seat in rows 80 to 83 would be very nice indeed as long as: there is not a stag group pissing it up here when you want to sleep! Apparently, they may offer this cabin to groups so need to be a bit careful in selecting this exclusive cabin. Also, there is noticeable galley noise in this rear cabin, and it gets worse the further aft you get.

World Traveller Main Deck
  • 25D is the throne seat on the Main Deck in WT. (no seat in front of them).
Print Wikipost

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold
I had a middle solo CW outbound which I thought was rather good and not claustrophobic at all. Would take above an aisle if no windows free again. Seat is offset towards left and there is additional space on right of seat with a little tray and floor level narrow but long storage cupboard.

80A on return - great legroom and you can use the front part of 81A storage bin ‘corner’ as an arm rest. That said, I found the seat very uncomfortable to sleep despite lots of champagne at the excellent Qantas first LAX dining room - top rate food. Great staff there and back. Lovely chat with outstation duty manager too. Had GCH greeting and was furnished with a WTP main meal - proactively offered by lovely CC. Also had a club washbag request granted! Well done BA.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
What are people’s thoughts on the best WT seats for a couple? Usually I go WTP on the bassinets so don’t have much experience of WT.

70 or 80 JK are available however it seems you don’t get a window or the side bin with those. So wondering if a normal row like 73 or something would in fact be better?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:17 am

A normal row in seats (A,B or J,K) on the upper deck seem like a good option for a couple.

Does anyone know whether the seats in row 67 (the rear row) of WTP recline fully?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bluegreen2
Does anyone know whether the seats in row 67 (the rear row) of WTP recline fully?
All longhaul seats in all cabins on all BA aircraft now fully recline.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:31 pm
mlm

53J & 53K seats on British Air 380-800?

I bit the bullet and paid to reserve 2 seats in Club World for a transatlantic flight. There seemed to be lots of availability so I chose 53J & 53K for us. I see it's close to the galley but I don't think this should be a problem since it will be daylight the entire flight so won't be sleeping. Somewhere deep in my memory bank I was thinking that 53K had space behind it so you could exit without stepping over someone...but then again, my memory could easily have failed ??

Now, I'm second guessing myself and wondering if I should switch while I can. This is the first time I'm trying the two forward/backward seats. My other experience with BA Biz Class was absolutely terrible on a night flight with me on an isle and a stranger in the middle who enjoyed getting out of his seat a lot.

Thank you very much.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Yep, 53K has direct aisle access without needing to step over someone. 53J, however, will have 52K stepping over him/her to access the aisle. There is no real way to avoid this stepping over/getting stepped over situation if you want to be sitting together. The alternative is that 50J, for example, has nobody stepping over him/her, but 50K would need to step over 51J to access the aisle.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I once thought 53 J&K were good seats but I have changed my mind. The refrigerator and Club Kitchen right behind those seats makes a horrible high pitched noise for the whole flight. It is really annoying once you have noticed it, and you will, and I will not take those seats again.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
I once thought 53 J&K were good seats but I have changed my mind. The refrigerator and Club Kitchen right behind those seats makes a horrible high pitched noise for the whole flight. It is really annoying once you have noticed it, and you will, and I will not take those seats again.
You mean like a whine ?:
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA
I sat in 53E from London to San Francisco. No stepping over anyone. Put both dividers up early on and although one crew member served me via the divider, another walked in the gap and served me directly. The slightly wider seat area (not actual seat) is appreciable and appreciated.

Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Global Entry
Just in defence of 53K, it is my preferred 380 CW seat and I have genuinely never had an issue with noise; a whining fridge or galley chat, although I know many others on here do.

I do however use (my own) noise cancelling headphones most of the time while awake and ear plugs when I sleep (regardless of what seat I'm in).

The aisle access from a window seat gives it a significant advantage in my view and once the divider is up, it is a great little space to occupy.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 5:44 pm
mlm

So Tafflyer, what is the best seats in your opinion in Club World for a couple traveling together ? I am slightly sensitive to noise though my spouse is not. It's the stepping over someone or them stepping over me that bothers me the most (even more so than a bit of noise).

Thanks all !
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
You mean like a whine ?:
Yes. Exactly like that. And very persistent it was too.

Frankly, the first time I heard it I thought the refrigerator was faulty so I didn’t change my seat for the following A380 flight, but no, it was the same on a different airframe. Now, some might say that it’s only noticeable due to the decreased general noise level in the cabin, which may well-being true, but once you’ve heard it it drives you nuts. Oh, and I have Bose QC25’s too and they successfully reduce the low frequency drone to make this “whine” even more obvious.

59AB was better but I still tend to opt for the 747 UD if at all possible.

Woodbinerich likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mlm
So Tafflyer, what is the best seats in your opinion in Club World for a couple traveling together ? I am slightly sensitive to noise though my spouse is not. It's the stepping over someone or them stepping over me that bothers me the most (even more so than a bit of noise).

Thanks all !
I would also argue for 59A/B and 59J/K on the A380 - there is slightly more turbine nose, but still vastly quieter than almost all other aircraft out there, but it's a goof spot since there is usually very little movement to the WTP cabin. The downsides are being served last, and the wing takes some, but not all, of the view. I was on the YVR service just over a week ago and it took 2 hours from take-off to complete the main meal service using WW crew, which I think is acceptable. I must admit I had not noticed the fridge noise in 53JK but that would not apply to 53AB. The side of the fridge backs on to the bulkhead by 53J, it's not exactly a large fridge.

In reality any of those 4 pairs are good and they get the side bins too on the window, which is very useful.
FeedbirdNiner likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mlm
I am slightly sensitive to noise though my spouse is not. It's the stepping over someone or them stepping over me that bothers me the most (even more so than a bit of noise).
Ultimately, there's no alternative to trying these to see what you think. We now prefer 52 or 51 to 53, even though it means stepping over, because the galley noise is so noticeable in 53. Moreover, I've noticed a phenomenon of 53B and 53J often remaining empty even if there's someone in 53A / 53K, because those seats are really a bit like having your head right in the galley. (However, on those occasions 52A or 52K have won the lottery because they can then get out without stepping over anyone, as well as being further away from the noise source.)

Every other option has disadvantages too: c-w-s has identified the problems with the 59s to go alongside their advantages. If you take 50AB or 50JK, the aisle seat passenger has nobody stepping over them, but they will be constantly disturbed by the curtain (plus 50A and 50J have a reduction in actual windows).
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:42 pm
Suspended

A380 56A

Here's a pic of 56A on the A380.
There is a bassinet behind which was fortunately not used on my flight. No problems with galley noise on this flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.