Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 1, 2013, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
MMB/Expertflyer Aircraft Code: 388

Upper deck

Main deck

Summarizing based on comments thus far:

First

This post shows the seat map and individual seat ratings for First:

First Cabin A380 Seat Ratings
In order of rating:
  1. 2 A/K
  2. 1 A/K
  3. 3 A/K
  4. 2 E/F
  5. 3 E/F
  6. 4 E/F
  7. 4 A/K

Club World Upper deck
  • 50AB and 50JK: the B and J seats don’t have anyone climbing over them. There’s nothing else ahead of these seats, so this area should be fairly quiet. However, the A and K seats ... would have to lean forward a long way to look out of the single window serving this row. Good if you like having a very private space and don’t mind stepping over someone to get out. Bad if you like looking out of the window.
  • 50J for longest bed is the best. However, you only have a curtain between you and the stairs and right hand side forward loo. Should be okay but might be noisy. Partial barrier around feet.
  • 51D and 51F: no half barrier either so very good for tall people and first row of CW cabin so good for food and ease of access to loo without any galley.
  • 53AB and 53JK: the window seats have direct aisle access, so in theory these would be a lot like 64A and 64K on the 744. Unfortunately, potentially noisy.
  • 56B has a bit of extra length but also a partial barrier.
  • 59AB and 59JK: the window seats here also have direct aisle access. However, as others have mentioned, because the CW and WT+ cabins partly overlap at this point, these seats (and particularly the heads of the 59B and 59J passengers) are directly in line with the WT+ centre bulkhead bassinets, so possible noise concerns if baby behind. You can see the close proximity in the photo above for 60 DEF
  • Middle seats: since there's only a single middle seat, it's rather nice and isolated and private, at least while the dividers are up. When dividers go down it's face to face with your seatmates to the left and right. Couples who are using a middle seat will probably be better off choosing EF rather than DE, because the extra space to the right hand side of the E seat means the E and F seats are closer together.

Club World Main Deck
  • 10J definitely winner for the most length but partial barrier around feet and galley noise may be an issue. However, also first to get food!
  • 10A and 10K for window seats only. The rest have absolutely NO view as the wing is massive and all you see is reflecting Silver and a lot of flex!
  • There is a reported experience from 13AB of in-flight vibration and resonances which were enough to disturb sleep.
  • Avoid 15AB and 15JK due to proximity to the two loos that are right beside and behind this seat. (CW loo behind 15B and 15J, WT loo beside these seats although behind a curtain, near continuous use!)
  • General note: due to the curvature of the fuselage, the window seats on the main deck have a greater gap between the seat and cabin wall than the equivalent upper deck seats, thus providing more wiggle room for your legs and toes.

World Traveller Plus Upper Deck
Photos: courtesy of PETER01
  • Bulkhead seats: The legroom in the bulkhead rows of 60DEF, 61AB and 61JK is fairly good, but I’m not sure that I would take these for a night flight as you can still get closer to horizontal in the rows behind. If that’s your favoured sleeping position, the absence of leg-rests in those rows won’t matter too much.
  • Row 67: The quietness of the aircraft will mean that the toilets at the aft of the WT+ cabin are much more likely to be disturbing in this area (particularly to 67AB, 67DEF, 67JK and 68DEF) than, say, to 15AB on a mid-J 744.

World Traveller Upper Deck
  • Centre block bulkheads 70DEFG and 80DEFG have tables in fixed armrests, as one would expect. This noticeably constricts the width of the seat. The armrest between D and E is a conventional lift-up armrest – so if choosing these rows, D and E are better than F and G. Another thing about these bulkhead rows, which are in line with the exits, and the adjacent exit rows (70AB, 70JK, 80AB and 80JK), is that there is a noticeable hissing noise from the slipstream.
  • 80D and 80E are the same and could be great for space or for couples that want to lift the armrest during the flight to get closer or sleep.
  • Rear cabin: any WT seat in rows 80 to 83 would be very nice indeed as long as: there is not a stag group pissing it up here when you want to sleep! Apparently, they may offer this cabin to groups so need to be a bit careful in selecting this exclusive cabin. Also, there is noticeable galley noise in this rear cabin, and it gets worse the further aft you get.

World Traveller Main Deck
  • 25D is the throne seat on the Main Deck in WT. (no seat in front of them).
Print Wikipost

BA Airbus A380: Which are the best seats? Master discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Welcome to FT, mjw2018!
Originally Posted by mjw2018
LHR - LAX on the 23 August. BA0269. We are in Club World (this is an Avios companion voucher redemption if at all relevant!)
That will not be relevant to seat selection.

With the choice you have, much depends on whether you would prioritise peace and quiet or whether it's more important to have a direct aisle access window seat. On the current seat map, it would really be 52JK or 51JK for the former, 53JK for the latter.

Last edited by Globaliser; Feb 27, 2019 at 8:54 am
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC
According to this excellent wiki, seats 2E/2F are rated (slightly) better than 3E/3F. Anybody care to provide an explanation to this? I would assume the proximity to the restrooms could be bothersome?
Pros and cons to these seat selections?
Thanks in advance
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Difference is not significant. Row 2 should be served before row 3 but would not be concerned with either row.
Hilde likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Rubecula
Difference is not significant. Row 2 should be served before row 3 but would not be concerned with either row.
Thanks a lot for your input! Me and hubby will try 2E/2F in June, and I am sure we will have a wonderful experience
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:23 pm

Hi all
Tried to search the thread and cannot see anything of note.
I have been lucky enough to book FIRST LHR-LAX on the A380 - the only seats available are 2E, 3E, 4A, 4E
I chose 4A as a solo traveller and heard the window seats are great.
Is the noise from the galley an issue - has anyone sat in Row 4?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: BA GGL
Hi,

Is there a set system for which isle solo middle seats get served from on the upper deck please? I'm trying to work out a way of sitting in an isle seat but not having food served in front of my face to the middle seat next to me.

I'm currently in 57K, but I don't like being without direct isle access and I'd rather be in the smaller forward cabin, where there happen to be some D and F seats available.

Thanks.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by craigc
Hi all
Tried to search the thread and cannot see anything of note.
I have been lucky enough to book FIRST LHR-LAX on the A380 - the only seats available are 2E, 3E, 4A, 4E
I chose 4A as a solo traveller and heard the window seats are great.
Is the noise from the galley an issue - has anyone sat in Row 4?
Hi,
There might be a little noise but should not be too bad at all ( it will be a day flight but after the meal service should be quiet)

I would go wilth 4A over the E seats and keep checking to see if other window seats became available closer to departure.

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 10, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by mjw2018
hi everyone, my partner and I have a flight coming up for LHR - LAX on the 23 August. BA0269. We are in Club World (this is an Avios companion voucher redemption if at all relevant!)

I am trying to upload a screen shot on expert flyer but i havent posted enough on this website yet to be allowed to do so. Free seats currently showing:

10BDEFGK
11DEFGJK
12ABDEFGJK
13ABDEFGJK
14ABDFGJK
15JK
50BJK
51BDEFJK
52BDEFJK
53BDEFJK
56DEFJK
57ABDEFJK
58ABDEFJK
59ABDEFJK

We want to sit together and want to pick the best seat possible. What would you guys suggest? Would be nice to sit on the upper deck of the A380 as we haven't sat there before. Window seat would be nice. Thank you advance!
We had 59 J/K a couple of weeks ago and they were ok, albeit located immediately in front of the premium economy cabin. One annoyance, the curtain that separates the two cabins moves about like a Matadors cape during the flight. We have 59 AB for tonight, so much the same in store. Also worth noting that the person located in the window seat in 58k {and cabin crew} needs to climb over the foot stool in 59J to access / egress.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,
There might be a little noise but should not be too bad at all ( it will be a day flight but after the meal service should be quiet)

I would go wilth 4A over the E seats and keep checking to see if other window seats became available closer to departure.

Regards

TBS
Thanks! Appreciate the information...
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:54 pm

Hi All,

First time poster here (though as with others, I have been lurking around for a couple of months). Fairly new to the avios game - around 18 months. Have only flown CW a few times, never first. My partner and I have managed to accumulate around 220k avios and have been lucky to snap up a reward LHR-SIN return and using 241 late November for 8 days. Out in F and back in J. Incredibly excited as both are on the A380 - which having been checking regularly for a while, seems fairly fortunate on this route.

Auto selected 2EF for the outbound trip, but have moved to 2A, 3A instead for now. Having read good reviews on these, we will probably eat together but then happy to have/do our own thing. However, I'm toying with switching back to middle seats given mostly dark/night flight so not overly fussed about window and means we can converse more. Am I right in thinking this is challenging as requires a good lean forward to see the other person, being very different to CW middle seats and with a big gap. Open cabin at the mo (of course except 1AK) so the choice is ours. Any advice?

Returning CW, again a lot of choice, it put us in 50JK, however again have moved based on reviews on this thread, to 51AB. Not overly fussed about the climbing over, given probably 80% of seats are currently showing as available, what would you recommend for a couple? I like the sound of staying on UD where a bit quieter and have also only done the middle pair before rather than a window pair. So would be good to try that. Might be nice for me (the window seat hogger) to have something like 53k so no climb over, but have read this row gets a lot of galley noise. If you had all seats available, what would you go for as a couple?

Thanks!
Old May 3, 2018, 12:11 pm

Where to sit?

Hello,
Please forgive me if I am going about this incorrectly. I am flying Vancouver to London on BA0084 in Busines, a first for me.
I would like to sit in quiet seat with privacy so I could eat a quick supper and then go to sleep. If someone could be so kind as to tell me if it is better to be upstairs or downstairs and the suggestion of a few seat numbers, as I will not be booking my seat until 24 hours before the flight due to the cost. I am the lowely blue travelling on Avios. I much appreciate your help with my questions.
Much appreciated
Old May 3, 2018, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Upstairs looks better British Airways A380 14F/97J/55W/303Y Seat Map
Old May 3, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Are you travelling when it is the A380 in the summer season or the B744 in the winter season?
Old May 3, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I think any window seat, preferably upstairs, would meet your needs. There are a bunch of seats which are considered more desirable than others by frequent flyers, but these are unlikely to be available at T-24.

The are whole threads dedicated to this that you can find on the dashboard if you have the stamina.

Edit: your query now seems to have been merged into one of the seating threads.

Last edited by fruitcage; May 3, 2018 at 2:07 pm
Old May 3, 2018, 12:59 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Skysea
Hello,
I would like to sit in quiet seat with privacy so I could eat a quick supper and then go to sleep.
Well upper deck window seats are the best, they also benefit from a very handy storage bin by the window which also doubles up as an overflow table top. 53A is the best seat for this, but I would be very surprised if this is available at OLCI. Basically due to the rear seat orientation you want the bottom corner seats of each mini cabin area if possible, if not any upper deck window seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.