Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Priority baggage tags, do the handlers deliberately ignore them?

Priority baggage tags, do the handlers deliberately ignore them?

Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
They should be applied to bags if you are travelling in J/F or have status.

They should be loaded into the priority baggage container on the aircraft, and theoretically be offloaded first at your destination.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by DrBenO
2) Do they actually do anything?
Yes: They give your ego a stroke, but for the most part, little else IME.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:29 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25)

Having recently made silver I have had the grand total of zero priority tags attached to my bags. I haven't bothered asking for them as I believe they form no function.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
Please see this thread, which ran from 7th July to a week ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...nore-them.html
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, TK Elite, Hyatt Platinum
Normally they do work, but whenever I fly from LHR to CDG I always request not to have one on my bags.

The reason being is that the baffage handlers at CDG offload them last for some reason...
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold | Hilton Honors Platinum
Originally Posted by dubbin
Please see this thread, which ran from 7th July to a week ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...nore-them.html
Thanks dubbin, an interesting read!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
The check-in agent laughed like a drain recently when I referred to it as a "vanity tag" as she was putting one on my bag. I've never noticed them making on iota of difference at any reclaim of any airport I have flown to/from, including LHR.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: Executive Club, AMEX, Club Carlson, Tesco clubcard, Nectar, Odeon
It is a bit hit and miss. Sometimes the priority tag helps but often it does not. I think it depends on number of bags and the bag handling system at the airport and possibly the people.

As far I know there is usually no special bag handling line for priority bags so when the bags leave the plane they all end up on the same luggage train. Even worst if priority bags leave the plane as first they end up at the bottom of the pile and go last on the belt.

I guess that priority labeling only works with big planes where multiple luggage trains are required.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Frenske
It is a bit hit and miss. Sometimes the priority tag helps but often it does not. I think it depends on number of bags and the bag handling system at the airport and possibly the people.

As far I know there is usually no special bag handling line for priority bags so when the bags leave the plane they all end up on the same luggage train. Even worst if priority bags leave the plane as first they end up at the bottom of the pile and go last on the belt.

I guess that priority labeling only works with big planes where multiple luggage trains are required.
There should be a separate container for priority baggage.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:08 am

Had yellow F tags in CE yesterday, prior to a domestic connection. These were joined by 'Long Transit at LHR' (or similar wording) tags, and I couldn't help wondering what this particular combination would throw up!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:22 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
My baggage tends to come off sooner when it has the tags. When the tags are coupled with one of those grey "First" tags, my bags have always been waiting at the carousel with other First bags no matter how quickly I get through immigration. ^
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
They worked when I came ba luck from narita, F was the only thing going around for 1-2 mins, then my bags came off. Still ahead of the rest however still the last in F!

Here is an image of one

IMG_8943 by jenzo295, on Flickr

Last edited by Jenzo; Aug 9, 2013 at 8:15 am
Old Aug 9, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Simple

This is something BA can fix without cost and easily. I never believed for a minute that the "system automatically detects priority luggage". If it did, tell me exactly how it would do so. It is simply incompetence on BA's part. Here's the simple solution. Do it like AA. Put the bags in the plane. It doesn't matter what order. When at the destination, put the priority bags on one cart, and the regular bags on another. Have the handlers unload the priority cart first. Simple. Of course agents have to put the priority tag on for it to work.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 8:16 am

BA priority baggage is an old bad joke. If it doesn't work once, why is the system not investigated to either make it work or drop it. IME it has been quietly dropped
Old Aug 9, 2013, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by BA0197
This is something BA can fix without cost and easily. I never believed for a minute that the "system automatically detects priority luggage". If it did, tell me exactly how it would do so. It is simply incompetence on BA's part. Here's the simple solution. Do it like AA. Put the bags in the plane. It doesn't matter what order. When at the destination, put the priority bags on one cart, and the regular bags on another. Have the handlers unload the priority cart first. Simple. Of course agents have to put the priority tag on for it to work.
All the bags are in containers. That would need every single container to be unloaded and sorted before any bag goes on the carousel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.