Is Premium Economy worth GBP 1250 more ?

Old Aug 2, 2013, 2:38 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by drspear
As promised coming back on this to describe pe and its merits

On both legs I was upgraded for free to club world so can talk about that but will do so in the cw thread !

It's possibly the biggest perk I have had as a card member coming from him and Kim where they would never ever give long haul upgrades as golds
Op Ups are one of the big advantages of WTP, whilst obviously not guaranteed, I reckon I have a circa 20-30% or so op up ratio, as a blue/ silver. Over the holiday period this number probably jumps up closer to 50%.

(above numbers are to US east coast and one trip to DXB)
Old Aug 2, 2013, 2:40 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Op Ups are one of the big advantages of WTP, whilst obviously not guaranteed, I reckon I have a circa 20-30% or so op up ratio, as a blue/ silver. Over the holiday period this number probably jumps up closer to 50%.

(above numbers are to US east coast and one trip to DXB)
Cap'n Benj do you use OLCI or check in at airport to achieve those great numbers?
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:13 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by dc2447
Cap'n Benj do you use OLCI or check in at airport to achieve those great numbers?
I always try to OLCI ASAP. The actual op-ups themselves have variously occurred at OLCI, the bag drop and the lounge. Don't think I've ever had a WT+-CW opup at the gate.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:34 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
I always try to OLCI ASAP. The actual op-ups themselves have variously occurred at OLCI, the bag drop and the lounge. Don't think I've ever had a WT+-CW opup at the gate.
Thanks, appreciate your candor, very helpful
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:53 am

I wish I had your luck! I reckon my ratio is about 10% from W to J and that's as a GCH.

I have been opupped at the gate though. The magic beep
Old Aug 2, 2013, 5:26 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
[controversial]

GBP 1,250 is a negligible sum of money in the grand scheme of things for either a well-paid individual or any business at medium size or bigger.

Go for WT+.

[/controversial]
Regardless of how much you value Ł1250 against your income, Ł1250 is a LOT of cash in relation to a basic economy class ticket. Someone may be able to afford it but decide not to on the basis of poor value for money.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Flying Blue, SASEB
What WTP is worth to an individual depends on many factors, so different people will have different views.

When I travelled less than I do now, maybe 2 or 3 LH and 10 SH trips per year I thought that WTP for a LH flight was overpriced and would happily fly in Y.

Now I fly LH up to 20 times a year and I would not want to do that in Y. I few LH trips here and there in Y are fine but when your doing it every other week it becomes a real drag and does have an impact on productivity. I can sleep better (I wouldn't say well) and am generally less stressed and tired after a flight in WTP than WT. That adds up over the year and now I will do anything I can to avoid LH in WT, even declining work if the customer won't pay for WTP or I can't add the cost difference to the bill elsewhere. I do think that sometimes the premium for WTP is a bit out of proportion to the product, but it still comes in cheaper than club which many of my clients just won't pay for.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat, Club Carlson G, SAS S
Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I wish I had your luck! I reckon my ratio is about 10% from W to J and that's as a GCH.

I have been opupped at the gate though. The magic beep
Interesting point, I called BA about the potential to uua in the 24 hours before the flight and they told me the flight was full so no upgrades were for sale but he only just stop short of basically telling me that I would be upgrade he cited the golds as being first for upgrades, in their pecking order, and that individual airports you are flying from take control of flights 3 or 4 hours before it departs and they have complete autonomy for upgrade calculations.

so to hear of upgrades at olci stage 24 hours before kind of flies in the face of that logic, not sure if it can be defined I seem to recall a thread tracking experiences but cant find it
Old Aug 2, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
Don't think I've ever had a WT+-CW opup at the gate.
I got one half way down the walkway to the plane a few weeks ago! Heard my name shouted, was asked to go back to the gate and given a new BP.

It was from one of the seats diagonally behind the "throne" on a Hi-J 747 to a middle CW seat though, so not really much of a bonus
Old Aug 2, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: ABBA
Occasionally Ba will select you for an upgrade at olci, sometimes days before.

This year I'm running about 50% WTP upgrades, About half at check in, half at the gate. Once at lounge entry.

That's on flex tickets, Which are about 30% more than flex wt. for that you get twice the space. Bargin.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat, Club Carlson G, SAS S
Originally Posted by paulwuk
Occasionally Ba will select you for an upgrade at olci, sometimes days before.

This year I'm running about 50% WTP upgrades, About half at check in, half at the gate. Once at lounge entry.

That's on flex tickets, Which are about 30% more than flex wt. for that you get twice the space. Bargin.
mine were first one at lounge entry at B gate lounge, although I set off from ABZ more than 5 hours before the main LHR so that would tie in with this 3-4 hour thing. But I had also entered flounge about 3 hours before the flight and nothing when I checked in there, must have been a late one.

second was a check in of luggage, about 2.5 hours before departure at ACC

its my first pe, so I am at 100% I guess for hit rate and it was totally unexpected I must say.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: ABBA
Trouble is you start to expect it after a lucky streak. I was bumped up lhr-sin and sin-syd last month.

Flight was busy on the way back so I half expected a least one sector. No such luck
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by drspear
so to hear of upgrades at olci stage 24 hours before kind of flies in the face of that logic, not sure if it can be defined I seem to recall a thread tracking experiences but cant find it
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...es-thread.html

If invol upgrades are done at a very early stage (including those that happen days before the flight), that's clearly not being done by the airport but centrally. But it can't be surprising, given how different the selling configuration for some flights can be from the physical configuration of the aircraft.

We've had the full range of possibilities, from days before the flight to beeps at the gate. I understand what paulwuk means: although admittedly I have been flying rather less in the last couple of years (Bronze level, basically), I actually can't remember when I last flew in the WT+ cabin. I've been very spoiled by the airline.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: united, delta, BA
No - at that point consider business class

I have purchased BA Economy Plus for as little as about $100 additional one way, and as much as about $500 additional one way, but I would never pay GBP 1250 additional either one way or round trip. At that point I would seriously look into business class.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.