Is Premium Economy worth GBP 1250 more ?

Old Jul 8, 13, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
[controversial]

GBP 1,250 is a negligible sum of money in the grand scheme of things for either a well-paid individual or any business at medium size or bigger.

Go for WT+.

[/controversial]
Old Jul 8, 13, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom View Post
[controversial]

GBP 1,250 is a negligible sum of money in the grand scheme of things for either a well-paid individual or any business at medium size or bigger.

Go for WT+.

[/controversial]
I agree, but what do you class as 'well paid' out of interest?
Old Jul 8, 13, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post
I agree, but what do you class as 'well paid' out of interest?
For singletons

GBP 50k+ outside London
GBP 65k+ inside London

For couples

GBP 30k+ per person outside London
GBP 40k+ per person inside London

Assuming no kids, no debt and no risk of unemployment.

For each kid under 14, add GBP 20k per household. For each kid at 14 or over, add GBP 40k.
Old Jul 8, 13, 3:26 pm

That's an interesting classification.

Shouldn't we also take into account the frequency of travel? Someone might be willing to stump up once or twice a year, but if they're doing it on a monthly basis they'd certainly feel it on that income.

I pay for my own AUPs mostly and some months are expensive!
Old Jul 8, 13, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
Shouldn't we also take into account the frequency of travel? Someone might be willing to stump up once or twice a year, but if they're doing it on a monthly basis they'd certainly feel it on that income.
Definitely. Given the nature of the post I am assuming it is a one-off.
Old Jul 8, 13, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
For singletons

GBP 50k+ outside London
GBP 65k+ inside London

For couples

For each kid under 14, add GBP 20k per household. For each kid at 14 or over, add GBP 40k.
65k is not well paid in london
Old Jul 8, 13, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dc2447 View Post
65k is not well paid in london
It does depend on your frame of reference.

If you are comparing yourself to investment bankers and hedge fund types earning GBP 300k then indeed a person earning GBP 65k is not well paid.

But GBP 65k is more than enough to have a reasonably high standard of living in London with a nice flat, good food and the opportunity to save and travel a bit.

I take the latter view and accordingly consider GBP 65k to be a "good" salary for a single person living in London. It is certainly a long way above the median.

GBP 65k per year yields an after-tax salary of GBP 44,663.60 per year without a student loan deduction (source: thesalarycalculator.co.uk)

Take away GBP 25k for rent and council tax in a nice place (nearly GBP 480 per week), and GBP 10k (nearly GBP 192 per week, or GBP 27.39 per day) for living expenses (London is a walkable city so transport costs should be zero for central London workers) then you are left with GBP 9,663.60 for saving, travel and luxuries. All of which should be more than enough for anybody and certainly is enough to find GBP 1,250 once a year for a bit more comfort on a long flight.

Last edited by Sixth Freedom; Jul 8, 13 at 4:52 pm
Old Jul 8, 13, 9:38 pm

It does depend on your frame of reference.
Quite. Take away those working in the City and 65k is a very nice sum indeed for a singleton in London. I used to sustain myself on about 15k living costs when I lived there - the rest was 'play' money.

And in the wild country North of the Watford Gap, 50k is an astronomical sum.
Old Jul 9, 13, 10:39 am

Programs: QF BAEC [Gold]
Depends how much you value/need the tier points. From the sounds of it, you might struggle to retain Gold without a goodly number of WT+ or better flights.

Personally I would question paying more than 50% extra on the discount Y ticket for WT+, based on what you get on board. That analysis might change radically if the BA WT+ product on the new A380's comes close to the QF offering.
Old Jul 9, 13, 10:51 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
For singletons

GBP 50k+ outside London
GBP 65k+ inside London

For couples

I don't think I spend 80k on my two teenage kids

Maybe I undervalue them, and the little darlings are seriously deprived of food, enterntainment and travel - but 40k each seems a little high.

Unless of course you would include private school fees. Maybe mine are seriously deprived of education - although I would disagree with that.
Old Jul 9, 13, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict View Post
I don't think I spend 80k on my two teenage kids

Maybe I undervalue them, and the little darlings are seriously deprived of food, enterntainment and travel - but 40k each seems a little high.

Unless of course you would include private school fees. Maybe mine are seriously deprived of education - although I would disagree with that.
The GBP 40k includes rent for extra space in a house and is the before tax amount. An extra GBP 5k (just under GBP 100 per week) for the additional bedroom, together with GBP 15k per year on school fees and equipment, and another GBP 5k a year for clothing, eating and entertainment gives GBP 25k.

Which is probably more or less equivalent to GBP 40k per year before tax.

As markets tend to reach an equilibrium I assume that school fees and the additional mortgage costs/rent of a house in a good catchment area for a state school are more or less equivalent.
Old Jul 9, 13, 11:20 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
The GBP 40k includes rent for extra space in a house and is the before tax amount. An extra GBP 5k (just under GBP 100 per week) for the additional bedroom, together with GBP 15k per year on school fees and equipment, and another GBP 5k a year for clothing, eating and entertainment gives GBP 25k.

Which is probably more or less equivalent to GBP 40k per year before tax.

As markets tend to reach an equilibrium I assume that school fees and the additional mortgage costs/rent of a house in a good catchment area for a state school are more or less equivalent.
I see where you're coming from, but I would be surprised if a house in a good catchment area would attract an additional 2k mortgage payment per month (based on two kids).

This article from the Guardian estimates it at around 10k average per year - around 16k pre-tax.

Anyway - we're getting a bit OT
Old Jul 9, 13, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I never realised how staggeringly rich I am.

Grateful to 6F and others for putting my status in perspective.
Old Jul 10, 13, 12:07 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by T8191 View Post
I never realised how staggeringly rich I am.

Grateful to 6F and others for putting my status in perspective.
And you still won't pay up to UuA to F!

But then again...maybe that's why you're well off!

tb
Old Aug 2, 13, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat, Club Carlson G, SAS S
As promised coming back on this to describe pe and its merits

On both legs I was upgraded for free to club world so can talk about that but will do so in the cw thread !

It's possibly the biggest perk I have had as a card member coming from bmi and Klm where they would never ever give long haul upgrades as golds

Last edited by drspear; Aug 2, 13 at 6:39 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: