Is Premium Economy worth GBP 1250 more ?

Old Jul 7, 13, 6:16 am
  #46  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 1,144
Taking a 7 hour long haul flight as an example say LHR-NYC

My Boss Turns Round to me and Says

"Paddy I need you to go to New York the Management have said you can go WTP if you like instead of WT"

I would simply say Ok Great I will go WTP

To me its a No Brainer if the Company is Offering to Pay and Send you WTP then do it, If money was tight the offer would not be there in the first place and you would have no choice but to be flying in WT
Padmeister is offline  
Old Jul 7, 13, 6:35 am
  #47  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 25,817
WT+ is worth a maximum of 100 more each way. It is not a well designed concept or cabin and trails towards the very end of premium economy cabins.
orbitmic is offline  
Old Jul 7, 13, 7:19 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: MAN/BHX
Programs: ABBA
Posts: 6,026
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
WT+ is worth a maximum of 100 more each way. It is not a well designed concept or cabin and trails towards the very end of premium economy cabins.
That's what it's worth to you

Some feel that CE is also bad, and not worth then 500 extra people pay for it. Others do feel it's worth it.

You get twice as much space in WTP as you do in WT. That's worth a lot to me.
paulwuk is offline  
Old Jul 7, 13, 8:38 am
  #49  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ipswich
Posts: 7,541
As a confirmed window sitter I really like the fact that in WT+ I only have to disturb one person to get out. Having two people between me and the aisle feels much more trapped.
windowontheAside is offline  
Old Jul 7, 13, 8:42 am
  #50  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northumberland, UK and outback Australia.
Programs: BA silver
Posts: 3,871
Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
As a confirmed window sitter I really like the fact that in WT+ I only have to disturb one person to get out. Having two people between me and the aisle feels much more trapped.
Indeed. As I can't sit in an exit row, my next best seats are the twin pairs at the back, or the upper deck twins on the A380 if I can't sit in WT+.
Stez is offline  
Old Jul 7, 13, 8:48 am
  #51  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere between 0 and 13,000 metres high
Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Posts: 25,817
Originally Posted by paulwuk View Post
That's what it's worth to you
Absolutely (and indeed CE is worth nowhere near 500 to me either!!) but the price headline was a bit provocative (indeed, it would be worth more to SYD than to DXB, etc), my main point was WT+ is a poor premium economy offer compared to other airlines (TK, QF, NZ, even AZ etc)
orbitmic is offline  
Old Jul 7, 13, 8:52 am
  #52  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,477
Originally Posted by paulwuk View Post
That's what it's worth to you

Some feel that CE is also bad, and not worth then 500 extra people pay for it. Others do feel it's worth it.

You get twice as much space in WTP as you do in WT. That's worth a lot to me.
Not everyone knows what they are paying for...
FlyerTalker688786 is offline  
Old Jul 7, 13, 8:53 am
  #53  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mostly UK
Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Posts: 10,799
Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
This is an interesting thread. I faced a similar decision last week, although made my conclusion very quickly.. Day flight to UAE: 700 r/t in WT, 2.2k r/t in WT+. I run my own business, so went for Y. First time I've flown Y on BA for a few years. Had a bulkhead seat. I am skinny and couldn't believe the seats were so narrow. Luckily I had an empty seat next to me and great crew.

However, here I am, I survived. It was perfectly tolerable for 6 hours with a couple of movies. I felt great for saving 1500 when walking off the plane too.

Night flight however, I'd opt for WT+.
I'm fat and I flew from LHR-LAX in Y on VS no less and survived it (I doubt BA economy would be much different). Highlight was my bmi gold getting me into the Clubhouse

I've never flown in anything below CW yet in BA longhaul. Timing my bookings with sales has usually meant that I've found a decent enough fare that I've thought CW worth it.

I'd personally say WTP is not worth 1250 more, but it depends on a lot of things:

- How much is your time worth? If you think you can work more productively in WTP, or be more relaxed on arrival that you'll be able to do a better job then that might be worth it to yourself and your company to pay the extra.

- Will you have an opportunity to try WTP in the near future when it's cheaper? Until you've tried it you don't know how much you'd personally value WTP at. e.g. I value CE upgrades higher than many on here, but there's a few people that value them even more than me (if I see a 69 upgrade on LHR-AMS,DUB,etc I'd take it despite the short journey time).

- Will the extra tier points help you? I know some will say it's immoral using your employer to gain TP, but in the end retaining status will make your work trips less stressful which is good for you and your company.
layz is offline  
Old Jul 7, 13, 4:43 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Varies
Programs: BA Silver, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, A|Club, Tesco CC, Costa Coffee Club
Posts: 404
Originally Posted by layz View Post
--snip

- Will the extra tier points help you? I know some will say it's immoral using your employer to gain TP, but in the end retaining status will make your work trips less stressful which is good for you and your company.
...and don't forget that getting to Silver allows access to Reservation Assurance (can purchase a 'Y' ticket even on nominally 'sold out' flights). I've done that couple of times now, with clear benefits for both my employer and myself.
larryflyer is offline  
Old Jul 8, 13, 12:14 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,187
Originally Posted by trueblu View Post
The first part of your polemical outburst may have had some merit -- were it not for the ludicrous second paragraph. Since you are suggesting that BA charge no extra for WTP, even though it is objectively a superior product, I'm afraid your argument just comes off as a rant.
I disagree that it is a superior product; regardless of cabin, all seats on any given flight arrive at approximately the same time. The only elements of air travel which I value are: transport from A to B, safety from A to B, comfort in cabin (which to me has nothing at all to do with seat size/type, but that the cabin has reasonably fresh air at a low temperature), map showing air craft position, ATC feed (only offered by UA), drinking water and minimal food, a FF plan which yields future free travel, and of course price. Others are welcome to fancier seats, but to me such has zero value and it strikes me as odd that others care to pay. I saw this as one who routinely travels not only over one ocean but often two -- all in the cheapest seat which can be found. While one may think I am ludicrous, I think the same of anyone contributing a penny more to any airline's revenue than required. And GBP 1250, is certainly nuts.

Last edited by Indelaware; Jul 8, 13 at 12:23 am
Indelaware is offline  
Old Jul 8, 13, 1:47 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,500
I'd go with whatever my company travel policy allowed me to, on the lowest logical fare.

Am I the only one who thinks some of you are demonstrating real patience on this thread?
London_traveller is offline  
Old Jul 8, 13, 7:52 am
  #57  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Good Life suburbia.
Programs: Executive Club, AMEX, Club Carlson, Tesco clubcard, Nectar, Odeon
Posts: 262
Originally Posted by drspear View Post
got some flights at end of month, with two options, since over 6 hours allowed to book WTP if I wish

Question I have is it seems you get about 4" more leg room, no flat bed, and no more food or drink, but its 1250 more in price ( about 1500 euro / 2000 usd )

Surely that isn't worth the extra payment ?
Nah ... it is like buying a Porsche Boxster, because you cannot afford the 911.
Frenske is offline  
Old Jul 8, 13, 8:32 am
  #58  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Accor Platinum
Posts: 448
Is WT+ worth 1250 out of your own pocket? no.

Is it worth 1250 out of your employer's pocket? possibly not to them - to you, I'd say it depends how much it's costing you...

If you're in a position where you don't want to be seen wasting company money/ setting a bad example for one reason or another then perhaps there is a cost for you to be considered.... but otherwise, on the basis it's the company travel policy then I'd probably go with it.

I am still yet to fly Y with BA. I was supposed to fly it a few weeks back but was opped up to WT+ (to IAD). I had a quick glance in the full WT cabin and that free op up looked worth it's weight in gold (well, silver )... however, I clearly didn't value the difference at 209 when I politely declined an offer at check in, and I stand by that.

Originally Posted by layz View Post
- How much is your time worth? If you think you can work more productively in WTP, or be more relaxed on arrival that you'll be able to do a better job then that might be worth it to yourself and your company to pay the extra.
In flight: If it's the difference of working on the plane (laptop power outlet/ more space etc.) then I guess you have some financial justification if questions arrise (depending how the company 'value' your time).

Post flight: I couldn't value my productivity at 1250 better having travelled WT+ over WT. Red eye flights etc. deciding between CW & WT/+ would be a different matter.
ab007 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 13, 8:41 am
  #59  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: KBOS
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 881
Worth to me if I plan to use Avios to upgrade to CW. Otherwise I'm happy with WT. Same philosophy when I pay full CW fare; I simply upgrade to First.
Peregrine415 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 13, 1:03 pm
  #60  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat, Club Carlson G, SAS S
Posts: 1,171
cheers for the interesting and varied replies

I have gone ahead and booked wtp so will report back the findings on 2 august
drspear is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: