Is Premium Economy worth GBP 1250 more ?

Old Jul 6, 13, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by drspear View Post
so a bed type seat could be nice,
You won't get a bed type seat unless you then upgrade to CW. The WT+ seat is like a slightly bigger WT seat.

And UuA is a great benefit. I envy the person who got 80% upgrades. Despite checking obsesively for availability, my stats are running less than 25%
Old Jul 6, 13, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I think that GBP 1,250 extra for WT+ is not unreasonable. Especially if booking at the last minute or without a Saturday night stay. I think it sounds like a lot of money because most on here either secure discounted tickets, UUA or have their employer travel agent pay without them finding out the fare.

To put it into context, flexible CW fares can come in at GBP 2k - GBP 8k premiums over WT.

However do look to see if you can fly in business class for a similar fare, even if on another indirect carrier.

Last edited by Sixth Freedom; Jul 6, 13 at 7:41 am
Old Jul 6, 13, 7:45 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 15 at 2:18 am
Old Jul 6, 13, 7:46 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
~Again I don't know how your accounts / travel people work, but as earlier posted, after booking a flight in one cabin, an offer OFTEN BUT NOT ALAWAYS appears to upgrade to the next cabin. I have had one way upgrades offered for 179.00 on flights to the Middle East (AUH / DXB)... but this may affect your ability to change the ticket. I would prefer an exit seat in WT over a middle seat in WT+

~ Don't forget you can actually research the seat map for your class of travel by making a dummy booking, which will allow you to see if exit row seats are available in WT or not.

I don't think background matters, As a part time commercial sailing skipper, some of the wealthiest clients fly in Economy or use low cost airlines, and people with New money and trades often fly in Club because they (now) can.

A friend of mine always considered company costs, much to the derision of some of the other staff (this was in Abu Dhabi) but he had the last laugh as he was kept on when they were looking to reduce head count.

~ It may be route specific but avoiding peak time flights there was only one instance when I couldn't book WT+ and UUA to CW on the AUH / DXB run.
Old Jul 6, 13, 7:51 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by drspear
Its hard changing from council estate / working class upbringing into the next areas, just the way I have been raised.
Hard life.
Old Jul 6, 13, 8:02 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Silver, HH D, BA Silver
From what you have posted I would say no.

1250 is a lot of money and for a 6.5 hour flight that seems excessive.

If you can get an exit row seat in WT then I would save the cash and do that for this trip.

One benefit that may help you decide in favour of WT+ if you are still thinking about it is this:

If you are flying to the US...then being in WT+ means that you will beat ALL of the people from WT to the immigration queues. Depending on configuration, you may even beat the Club pax on that flight, so be right behind F pax. That can save you over an hour in time after a LH flight.

If you value that in addition to the other points then the benefits may sway you to go WT+.

If you are going somewhere that does not have such long immigration queues and given the other points you mention, I would say WT exit row and feel good about saving the company some money.

My personal thresholds are that I am willing to pay up to 600 more for WT+ over WT (return). I would pay considerably more to go from WT+ to CW though depending on the conditions but even there I tend to have a 1250 limit going from WT+ to CW (return fare difference).

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 6, 13, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat, Club Carlson G, SAS S
Originally Posted by angatol View Post
That seems like an excessive differential. What are the flights and dates? For me the difference is having seat-power, being able to physically open a laptop (but exit row solves that in WT), more recline, and of course UUA/op-up possibilities.
LHR/ACC 29JUL
ACC/LHR 01AUG

one flight a day only with BA
Old Jul 6, 13, 9:34 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold
Do it and UUA to cub world
Old Jul 6, 13, 9:46 am

I think it depends on the cost of the WT flight. I'd pay maybe 50-75% more for WT+. So unless your WT flight is costing you 2k then no, i dont think its worth it.
Old Jul 6, 13, 9:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, FPC Premier, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by drspear View Post
LHR/ACC 29JUL
ACC/LHR 01AUG

one flight a day only with BA
Think I see why there is such a difference. ITA is showing 2347 Economy (Y fare bucket and the cheapest now available) and 2970 for WT+. 600 difference would be about right, so you must have got a cheaper ticket in a lower fare bucket, so it's the fare difference to get to a Y fare plus the upgrade.

W has 7 seats available on the way out and 9+ on the return, so you may get a better deal at the airport than the 1250. Y is looking busy both ways, so an opup is a possibility.
Old Jul 6, 13, 9:59 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 15 at 10:57 pm
Old Jul 6, 13, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by angatol View Post
Ah, so no Saturday night stay either.

I see
2347 in full Y
2971 in full W

Personally I'd do AMS-LHR-ACC-LHR-AMS for 2355 in J and perhaps skip the last leg
yeh but don't get the avios that way, and like the terminal 5 flounge ^

it would be discounted fare as mentioned because of the travel agent pricing

I am going to try WTP and still keen to know the miles to go to CW if its available, is there a chart or something
Old Jul 6, 13, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SpurMan View Post
Think I see why there is such a difference. ITA is showing 2347 Economy (Y fare bucket and the cheapest now available) and 2970 for WT+. 600 difference would be about right, so you must have got a cheaper ticket in a lower fare bucket, so it's the fare difference to get to a Y fare plus the upgrade.

W has 7 seats available on the way out and 9+ on the return, so you may get a better deal at the airport than the 1250. Y is looking busy both ways, so an opup is a possibility.
ok that is helpful, we are quoted about GBP 1460 in Y or S it says on the quote actually
Old Jul 6, 13, 10:04 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 15 at 2:42 am
Old Jul 6, 13, 10:07 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 15 at 1:47 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: