Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Trip Report : Flyertalk goes on board the new BA Boeing B787 Dreamliner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Report : Flyertalk goes on board the new BA Boeing B787 Dreamliner

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: BA gold
I see the IFE boxes are still under the WT seats, in fact, there doesn't seem to be many opportunities to avoid them unless you're in the first/exit rows or in front of the escape hatch.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:22 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Originally Posted by sammyh25
We were told in training the footstool now only has 3 positions....

Fully up and horizontal: aligned with the flat bed for sleeping.
Fully down and horizontal: for use as a foot stool.
Z-Position: stool at the bottom of the track and angled up, seat set to Z-Position (my preferred way of watching a movie whilst sipping a G&T, when on my jollies I should add)

It seems it is all the interim positions that are no longer possible.
Thanks sammyh25, much appreciated. ^

Do you get the feeling it is more robust and can take more abuse now? (I am not planning on sitting on it but wonder if after some @rse has sat on it (pun intended) it will still work okay or if it will start to get wonky like current foot stools in Club?

Appreciate you may not have a feel for this yet as it is brand new, just wondering if you have had a chance to actually use one and can give a subjective opinion on the new way it is mounted?

Thanks for any comments you can provide. It will be great to try it out soon ^
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:23 am
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Originally Posted by Stez
I see the IFE boxes are still under the WT seats, in fact, there doesn't seem to be many opportunities to avoid them unless you're in the first/exit rows or in front of the escape hatch.
Sure there is...just don't fly WT Stez

Seriously, they do indeed look to be everywhere and will continue to be a pain...
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BotB
Thanks sammyh25, much appreciated. ^

Do you get the feeling it is more robust and can take more abuse now? (I am not planning on sitting on it but wonder if after some @rse has sat on it (pun intended) it will still work okay or if it will start to get wonky like current foot stools in Club?

Appreciate you may not have a feel for this yet as it is brand new, just wondering if you have had a chance to actually use one and can give a subjective opinion on the new way it is mounted?

Thanks for any comments you can provide. It will be great to try it out soon ^
I think that was the idea behind the redesign. We were also told to make sure no one sits on them as I think that has been the main cause of some many "floppy" footstools.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Jordan D
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
British Airways very kindly extended an invitation to Flyertalk to visit the Heathrow engineering base this morning to take a look at the new 787 Dreamliner, recently delivered from Boeing.
Appreciate the photos which are great to see and give a feel of the new bird, but I've got to (humbly and politely) ask - and by all means decline from replying: where was this invitation and to whom was it extended?

Don't expect BA to extend it to all board members, but just for the sake of transparency, would be good to know.
Don't take it too personally, I've done my 787 training and have yet to see, let alone set foot on the new girl.... However that will be remedied in a few weeks when I get my aircraft visit.

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 5, 2013 at 11:29 am Reason: Repair quotation frames
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Appreciate the photos which are great to see and give a feel of the new bird, but I've got to (humbly and politely) ask - and by all means decline from replying: where was this invitation and to whom was it extended?

Don't expect BA to extend it to all board members, but just for the sake of transparency, would be good to know.
Happy to answer.

Today's event was attended by BA staff, customers and suppliers, and also by representatives of a number of 'websites' with whom BA has a relationship.

The invitation came to Internet Brands, as owners of Flyertalk, and I attended as a representative of Flyertalk.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:06 am
Community Director Emerita

The invitation did not come the usual route, from BA directly. They are extremely good about extending invitations directly to FlyerTalk in timely fashion so that selection processes can be determined and invitations opened to everyone on the BA board. This invitation came from the PR company that BA uses to the owners of FlyerTalk. It came just 2 or 3 days before the event. IB forwarded the invitation to me. I thought it important to have someone from the board who could take advantage and share the experience with BA members. There was no time to open a broad selection process. I was very appreciative that Oxon Flyer could accommodate the short notice. He's posted this photo report so that we all can live vicariously.

Carol
Community Director
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
He has taken the best photos available.

Much better than some of the professional photographers.

Really great job.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: FT
it looks like only the first row of WT+ has leg rests....like CX? is this the case? if so, i would rather have the bulkhead Y seat than a WT+.

the middle J seat will now be known as the coffin. some may like, not i....but i did like CX's coffin class while it lasted.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mkjr
it looks like only the first row of WT+ has leg rests....like CX? is this the case?
All rows have them, but for the other rows they'll be on the back of the row in front. Probably makes the front row leg rests better than the others
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Originally Posted by JimEddie
All rows have them, but for the other rows they'll be on the back of the row in front. Probably makes the front row leg rests better than the others
Like here:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/busines...57634487851062

They are shown in the stowed position but they fold down.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by JimEddie
thanks...that is what i thought...seems like CX Y+....so more "foot" rests versus what appears to be the old syle regional J leg rest on the first row...that is certainly a row as with the row in Y that i would, shock..., buck up for and pay the seat ressi fee...
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
So many threads and only one aircraft? Could a Mod merge this? Someone like Oxon Flyer?
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:02 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by T8191
So many threads and only one aircraft?
I see two threads and two airplanes, the B787 and the A380. Am I missing others?
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I see two threads and two airplanes, the B787 and the A380. Am I missing others?
Ooops, sorry Ma'am. They're just a metal tube to me. Blame my age!

Sorry Oxon as well ... Didn't expect you to get a double-deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.