Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Trip Report : Flyertalk goes on board the new BA Airbus A380

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Report : Flyertalk goes on board the new BA Airbus A380

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2013, 5:07 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
As usual... A load of armchair critics bumping their gums about something they have not experienced first hand...
The negativity on this board about absolutely every little thing, is becoming increasingly boring and tedious.
Originally Posted by BA.MF.CSM
BBB i couldn't agree more. I have considered a lot lately, coming off of Flyertalk. Some of the comments on this forum are undoubtedly from people that have never even sat in a Club seat!
Hater, haters everywhere!

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
Wow, there certainly are some knickers in a twist here! I guess the truth does hurt at times. BA is a middle of the pack airline, with an average to good F and CW product and variable crews. (And yes, I am basing this on personal experience as a BA Gold for 10 years, and someone who has seen the deterioration and stagnation over the years. In fact in just in the last 3 months I have had 4 long haul segments on BA F and 5 on other carriers. (LH, LX, TG, AA and CX.) All 5 of those have been superior to BA.

I continue to fly BA because of their loyalty program, and because most times their F product is priced cheaper (deservedly so!) than competitors. Not because it is the best in the world.

And if you really find this board to be filled with "haters" and also "boring and tedious" then feel free to ignore it. I didn't realize anyone was being forced to post here... @:-)
Old Jul 5, 2013, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by BA.MF.CSM
BBB i couldn't agree more. I have considered a lot lately, coming off of Flyertalk. Some of the comments on this forum are undoubtedly from people that have never even sat in a Club seat!

It seems that nothing BA does is good enough.

Well I work on the bloomin' beasts, and I know, in combination with a goid crew, our company is world class!

Hater, haters everywhere!

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM
I don't think the majority of opinions posted on this thread are BA haters - their status would suggest otherwise.

I also suspect many of the comments are undoubtedly from people who have sat in a club seat.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, however, many will appreciate that the majority of comments on this thread are based on images.

Perhaps we may have a more balanced perspective on how good or bad the new/enhanced 'product' is once we receive the first TR or have actually flown the 380 ourselves.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
So we currently have Old First and New First - will A380 First be called New First 2.0, or Next Generation New First?

A380 First looks to be more private with the 'side wall' extending farther, but the curved 'hoods' of old new first were more aesthetically pleasing. The bigger lockers and the new mini storage area are positive points though.

As a solo flyer myself the middle Club seats aren't at all attractive - I'll still be reserving window seats on the upper deck.

It's unfortunate the economy cabins still have the IFE boxes to restrict legroom, but this is certainly not unique to BA.

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
As usual... A load of armchair critics bumping their gums about something they have not experienced first hand...

Here is a really really novel idea... Which some of you may wish to refrain from reading as it may go against your whole life ethic... But...

Try something before you comment/condemn/criticise and judge.

The negativity on this board about absolutely every little thing, is becoming increasingly boring and tedious.
I have every intention of trying the A380 and I don't doubt I will enjoy it. But at the same time, trying it isn't going to resolve some of the points which have been made e.g. the blinds in First, or wider seats.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 5:22 pm

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Have to say, the whole thing looks magnificent and I think any cabin on board is an improvement on what is currently available, even economy which now has the widest cabin ever (unsure how it can be cramped).

I love the look of the new first cabin and think the Club World looks lovely, I can't figure out how the toilets are divided though and 3 seems a raw deal to the large upstairs cabins.

Hopefully I can get my trip sorted on it, although it is now looking like out on the A380 in J and back on the 777 in F.

10/53/56 AB seats look like the ones for me. Unsure with F, the centre seats aren't as good anymore for couples IMO with that new divider.

Originally Posted by stargold
A380 is different from the 787 in that operators don't have a choice between 8-abreast and 9-abreast. Upper deck in Y is always 8-abreast, and lower deck in Y is always 10-abreast.

3-4-3 is the standard Economy configuration in the A380 lower deck, and it is possible to see that WT on the Upper Deck is also 2-4-2 as it should be. Every single airline operating the A380 has the same arrangement for their Economy seats. And the seats definitely look wider on the A380 than the 787.
Not quite true. For example, the A380 has an option of 11 abreast downstairs but no one has taken it yet.

Last edited by globalste; Jul 5, 2013 at 5:46 pm
Old Jul 5, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Gulf Air Falconflyer Gold
Thanks for posting these photos. I'm REALLY looking forward to flying this whale next January in F!

Eric
Old Jul 5, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
To Big

Originally Posted by GodAtum
Great photos but the seat layout is uninspiring I guess they wanted to keep it consistent but it would have been nice to have 1-2-1 in CW.
Have been now on the LH 380 and the AF 380. Both in J. I think it's like mass transit. I've also been flying DL on their smaller transatlantic flights and very small J cabin on the 767 and 330. Great service. I think at the end of the day may stick with smaller aircraft for paid J.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 8:46 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BA0197
I know I'm about to get shot for this, but the middle CW seat on the upper deck looks rather cozy and larger than what I expected. It seems they have increased the width of the seat.
Yes. That added width for the single rear-facing J seats is key. I was wondering if it would feel a little coffin-like (worse than the old AA F seats!)!

Originally Posted by BA0197
I rather like the aircraft, and the livery is the most gorgeous thing to have been placed on an aircraft. BA has done very well in creating a timeless livery.
It indeed looks nice on the outside. On the inside, however, it seemed unduly austere.

I find the lamps hanging from the ceiling and photos on the walls of the 747s and 777s in J to be a bit more warm feeling. These interiors looked harsh.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Can't say that BA have done anything with the design to encourage me to book a seat on this particular plane, whereas I have done with other airlines.
But then perhaps BA have a different strategy.

I had hoped for something more "interesting".

Appreciate the pics and I do like the BA livery, it looks very good on the A380.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Hmmm. Not sure. I'm assuming it's the colour choices and how they look on camera, but most of the seats don't *look* that appealing to me. It's like they've gone for 1 generation behind the leaders in every class in terms of seat choice. F & Y look particularly clunky and somehow dire compared to what you get on QF or SQ. Shall have to try it to see how wrong I am.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Is it me, or does the entire aircraft interior lack colour? Everything just looks so sterile and dull.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:06 pm
Suspended

It u are travel in J and F and if CX/QFA380 only/JLnew77W only are on offer I wouldn't go out of my way to get on BA just with this A380 plane. The pilot/BA staff here claimed before this is a load enhancer, which IMO couldn't be sustained in the long run.
However for LHR-JFK I might sway towards BA, despite AA now have a better product.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Very nice photos. And thanks for getting so many coach shots. As a wide bodied retiree that's most likely where I'll fly. If you get a chance it'd be very nice to see a photo with tray down in coach

Love the storage bins, even in coach. (Now we can all pretend we're upstairs in a 747)

Also reelly like the separate sections. Probably feels more intimate in a whale of a plane.

For me, though it'll come down to the best seat (padding/comfort and width). A quick look of SeatGuru showed BA with the narrowest seats in coach compared to Thai. Singapore, Lufthansa, and Air France. BA is 17.5 and the rest are 18+ with AiR France has a huge 19" coach seat width.

Finally the coach seats look very thin making me wonder about back pain on a long haul. But apparently many new coach seats have been thinned down with tricks that airlines claim gives one more knee space with the same pitch as older thicker seats.

Life is apparently not perfect.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I think First is an improvement but the other cabins are same old same old.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I think First is an improvement but the other cabins are same old same old.
Actually I thought wt and wt+ pretty good. Prob the same as 77W but looks good in the pics
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Yes they look the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.