Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Trip Report : Flyertalk goes on board the new BA Airbus A380

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Report : Flyertalk goes on board the new BA Airbus A380

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by T8191

We all have a choice!
Indeed.....I'm an IB apologist now.

The A380 is all very nice and new however I see nothing which would make me want to go out of my way to fly on it.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Indeed.....I'm an IB apologist now.

The A380 is all very nice and new however I see nothing which would make me want to go out of my way to fly on it.
Ah, McHiddy, it's all about routes, and timings, and prices. I have never chosen a flight on the basis of the upholstery, and I suspect 99.998% of pax don't care either.

You are just SO ... FT
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by robertf999
Great pics. Thank you, Oxon Flyer. I hope I get to ride in one to JFK or IAD someday.

The rearmost WT cabin is described as "initmate". It looks a little claustrophobic to me, unlike the 744 WT mini cabin, but I accept photos can be deceptive.

On a lighter note, I see the upper crew bunk in the basement has a "one person only" sticker. Was this notice strictly necessary?
It's probably because there is only one drop-down oxygen mask per bunk. We do have married crew that fly together you know
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by T8191
Ah, McHiddy, it's all about routes, and timings, and prices. I have never chosen a flight on the basis of the upholstery, and I suspect 99.998% of pax don't care either.

You are just SO ... FT
Good to know I'm not the only party pooper.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:21 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Great shots, Oxon Flyer ^

Begging Uncle T's indulgence for a moment. I'd like to share a comment on the First cabin. It seems a pity the double bay fritted glass panels were replaced with more conventional looking window surrounds. I appreciate the NF liner panels add a chunk of kgs dead weight to the frame and were originally selected at a time when jet fuel costs were much lower that they are today but still they did a tremendous job of reducing the area of visible plastic.

The external shots as fabulous as they are don't offer me an accurate sense of this aircraft's scale. If only a bus (or six) could have been positioned in the foreground….
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
As they didn't put the double blinds in why did they block out the extra windows?
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:12 pm

Not a fan of the large WT+ section but this is likely where BA will make a lot of money selling seats (if not to be able to oversell Y).

If I recall correctly, the selling point of WT+ when it was launched was that there would be no more than 5 rows.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by evanderm
Not a fan of the large WT+ section but this is likely where BA will make a lot of money selling seats (if not to be able to oversell Y).

If I recall correctly, the selling point of WT+ when it was launched was that there would be no more than 5 rows.
Ultimately I can only see the WTP getting larger, not smaller. As one poster commented there's a whole load of business class seats and if the demand isn't there for almost 100J then one of the sections could become additional WTP.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:25 pm

Is there any mood lighting on BA's 380 or 787? Can't see anything from the photos but might have not been activated.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by DG55
Is there any mood lighting on BA's 380 or 787? Can't see anything from the photos but might have not been activated.
Definitely on the 787, probably on the A380.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OneWorld Emerald)
What are the loos like in F?
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Sorry, I have to ask ...

... Will they have bread plates in CW?
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
The F seats look rather "bland" to me. Too much beige plastic which doesn't look like it gives any real sense of feeling.

I do like the WT storage bins although it doesn't look that easy to see out the windows on the upper deck, especially for not filming during take-off and landings.

Still, looking forward to my flights in Nov
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Judging by the seatmap, the two forward Club World washrooms on the upper deck are larger than the two First washrooms

Originally Posted by xenole
The F seats look rather "bland" to me. Too much beige plastic which doesn't look like it gives any real sense of feeling.
I agree - they look similar to those in the latest LX First Class cabin, although without as much personal space.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:57 pm

Great photos

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.