Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Trip Report : Flyertalk goes on board the new BA Airbus A380

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Report : Flyertalk goes on board the new BA Airbus A380

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2013, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by London_traveller
Maybe I'm just being selfish as I mainly fly to New York - I want to fly on one of these birds!!
LHR-LAX-JFK is the true FlyerTalk solution to the problem

Alternatively if you don't want to backtrack:
LHR-HKG-JFK let's you try a BA 380 and a CX 777.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by Prospero
So Oxon Flyer, onto the $64k question. Which upper deck club seat will you be gunning for? From what I see from your fantastic photo survey, I reckon there may be a $53k answer . What do you say to that?
As a solo traveller, I reckon it's 15A or 15K on the main deck (but close to the lavs, so good if you are incontinent).

Nothing else on the main deck looks attractive.

Upper deck:

53 A, E, K, (but close to the galley, so good if you're a glutton)

59 A, E, K (possibly close to WTP Bassinets, may be good for insomniacs)

Then any window seat on the upper deck.

Main deck looks like a recreation of any 777 so if you're not a fan of the 'dorm' then that'll be an 'avoid'. Can't believe that they didn't use the extra width to create some sort of separation between the evil E/F seats (or did I miss something?).

Negative on the upper deck is the relative paucity of washrooms - looks like 3 for 55 seats (against 2 for 20 on the 744 UD). It isn't clear from the BA seat maps whether the 4 washrooms at the rear of CW on the main deck are only for CW or shared with WT.

Just my 2 cents...
Old Jul 7, 2013, 12:20 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
So Oxon Flyer, onto the $64k question. Which upper deck club seat will you be gunning for? From what I see from your fantastic photo survey, I reckon there may be a $53k answer . What do you say to that?
I hope to be amongst the first, if not the first to tell you that Prospero...9th Aug. (and if I do get lucky that day...the crew are going to have to drag me off the plane )
Old Jul 7, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel à PUCCI GALORE
Loooks to me like 50AB/JK are the ones to go for - the toilets are far enough in front not to be a problem, the usual high value seats are near the galley and for that many pax it's likely to be a very busy place, UD 747 this is not.

I've given up on trying to work out where it's headed for training flights and have diverted my travel plans (for a £200 AA internal fare as I really need to be in SFO) to fly to LAX in October. Quite pleased as have got 1K but although lots of you will have probably gone it before me I shall nevertheless endeavour to report back.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
The impression I got was that the CW seating is more uniform and didn't really see any seat that's significantly better than the rest. IMHO, row 53 is too close to the galleys, so I would personally choose a window in 51 or 52.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:15 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
The impression I got was that the CW seating is more uniform and didn't really see any seat that's significantly better than the rest. IMHO, row 53 is too close to the galleys, so I would personally choose a window in 51 or 52.
My instincts were to take 51K on the outbound - faster exit (I hope), and 53K on the inbound. I must remember to bring a tape measure along with me
Old Jul 8, 2013, 4:02 am
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Okay, armchair comments, however, from the limited info (seat map and pics) we have so far I see the following points about the upper deck A380 Club cabins...do you agree?

56 B appears to be a very good seat for tall people and looks like it has at least an extra 12 inches over a standard seat (complete bassinet space between bulkhead and footrest. Looks to have the most space on upper deck (private space for you bag in the bassinet area (after take off of course) and no one walking in that space so more private. No loo and no magazine racks so although aisle seat, it is more private space.

51 (first row of middle seats) D and F tied for most length between footrest and bulkhead with 56B. May be less desirable due to people / CC walking between aisles in this space or getting magazines or waiting for the loos. Aisle seats so less private and no storage bins.

53 E has considerable space between footrest and bulkhead (but not quite as much as the two above mentions. Comparably dark, more isolation from galley than 53 A and K seats. much more headroom when standing up than a window seat. space between footrest and galley so any physical bangs in galley won't transmit like 53A or K. Good for privacy, width and length but no windows or storage bins.

50 A and K missing 2 windows so not good seats for that reason.

56 D and F has same considerable space between footrest and bulkhead as 53 above but not as much as 51 D and F or 56 B. 56 F is right beside the loo so less desirable. Aisle seats so less privacy and no storage bins.

56 J looks like it may have a an extra inch or two but abuts the loo. Aisle.

all of row 59 looks like standard spacing but easier to get out for window or middle coffin seat.

59 E looks like it could be the quietest and darkest seat on upper deck (due to the window spacing on sides for light pollution compared to first CW cabin and lack of galley or loos so only the WT+ bassinet issues of other side. drawbacks would be you would be the last Club pax to get served and last to disembark but if you wanted to sleep as long as you could and weren't too tall this looks like the seat to have for privacy and darkness.

Not looked at main deck seats yet.

Curious if both upper club cabins will be served meals at the same time (i.e. 50 and 56 get served at the same time by two different CC trolleys or if they start at 50 and work their way back to 59?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:26 am

It looks very nice! Just hoping the crew rest area doesn't mean BA will have the EK-esq issues with payload on the longer hops!
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
I thought BA had just bought a new type of aircraft -- not that they were announcing a new interior scheme. As I wasn't expecting a new interior scheme, I'm not disappointed that it is business as usual.

Glad BA has the 380 now. Should make for a more comfortable ride ^
Old Jul 10, 2013, 4:40 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Are there really no windows by 50a and 50k? Please comfirm?

Last edited by allturnleft; Jul 10, 2013 at 4:40 am Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 10, 2013, 4:51 am

Programs: TK Gold, FB Silver, A3 Silver, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Are there really no windows by 50a and 50k? Please comfirm?
I think this is one of the seats in question.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Thanks I've moved back to 51!
Old Jul 11, 2013, 7:10 am

Programs: SPG Gold
We are flying LAX to LHR on a red eye next May in business. It is my husband and I and sleep is the top priority. 52 A/B and J/K are booked as is 56B.

We've never flown BA before and are unclear on the cabin flow. What is busier/noisier- the galley or the wardrobe area? Do we need to be concerned that when these seats are deployed as beds that the window passenger (likely me) will be trapped? I will for sure need to get up once in the middle of the night for a visit to the bathroom and don't want to climb out.

Do we for sure want to be in the upper deck (which on the airbus appears to have a million people vs the billion on lower)? Or should we be going for the middle forward facing seats on the lower deck? I can't figure out if we will be trapped in those seats come sleep time either.

I was thinking 50 J/K, 53 J/K, 10 J/K or 12 E/F. Can any of you who have seen this cabin (or just those more experienced with BA) comment?

Thanks,
H
Old Jul 11, 2013, 7:22 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Originally Posted by heathpack
We are flying LAX to LHR on a red eye next May in business. It is my husband and I and sleep is the top priority. 52 A/B and J/K are booked as is 56B.

We've never flown BA before and are unclear on the cabin flow. What is busier/noisier- the galley or the wardrobe area? Do we need to be concerned that when these seats are deployed as beds that the window passenger (likely me) will be trapped? I will for sure need to get up once in the middle of the night for a visit to the bathroom and don't want to climb out.

Do we for sure want to be in the upper deck (which on the airbus appears to have a million people vs the billion on lower)? Or should we be going for the middle forward facing seats on the lower deck? I can't figure out if we will be trapped in those seats come sleep time either.

I was thinking 50 J/K, 53 J/K, 10 J/K or 12 E/F. Can any of you who have seen this cabin (or just those more experienced with BA) comment?

Thanks,
H
Any passengers seated in a window or middle seat in Club will need to climb over their neighbor seated in the aisle seat, when the aisle seat is fully flat as a bed. Stepping over is not terribly cumbersome, although certainly not ideal when seated next to a stranger who may wake easily. I personally find the snug feeling of being against the window worth the minor effot of climbing over. Unless you are under 160cm it shouldn't be a huge issue.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
Any passengers seated in a window or middle seat in Club will need to climb over their neighbor seated in the aisle seat, when the aisle seat is fully flat as a bed. Stepping over is not terribly cumbersome, although certainly not ideal when seated next to a stranger who may wake easily. I personally find the snug feeling of being against the window worth the minor effot of climbing over. Unless you are under 160cm it shouldn't be a huge issue.
Ok, then, given climbing over husband is non issue but climbing over sleeping stranger is icky (to me), should I jettison the idea of rows 50 & 53 (which appear to be extra leg room seats) because of proximity to wardrobe & galley, respectively?

H

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.