Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A380 + 787 Training Flights Meetup / DO thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:21 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Originally Posted by JulyTourist
Hi all, I am a newbie on here having followed a reference on flightradar24.com to the first BA380 flights. I have wanted to fly on a 380 for some time but am not likely to do any of the long haul routes so the chance of a trip to Frankfurt suddenly became appealing. I have booked 910 out on the 19th (WT) and 911 back on the 21st (CE) and selected/paid for seats on the 319 map. My question is......how likely do you experts think that I will actually travel on a 380 for these flights? and how long before the flights will the seat map change to confirm this? Also, if with say 24hrs notice I discover a 380 will not be used how easy will it be to change the flights?? Many thanks for any help that is forthcoming. PS I have no status at all with BA or any points system....... JT
Hi JT, welcome! I like you am watching the flight I am due to go on 25th/26th. See BotB page here, it has great info http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...nkfurt-20.html

It will show 48 hours out of going to be A380 on MMB. Based on flights so far, the 19th should be good, the 21st more risk, it has not done a Wed PM flight yet and from what we know it is not likely, keep on eye on the page, as BotB has ben doing a great job and will keep checking it. You can change your flight but depends what fare you bought at, for sure join BA exec club if you have not even having Blue card is better than nothing. Good luck!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: MP Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by gav0106
Hi JT, welcome! I like you am watching the flight I am due to go on 25th/26th. See BotB page here, it has great info http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...nkfurt-20.html

It will show 48 hours out of going to be A380 on MMB. Based on flights so far, the 19th should be good, the 21st more risk, it has not done a Wed PM flight yet and from what we know it is not likely, keep on eye on the page, as BotB has ben doing a great job and will keep checking it. You can change your flight but depends what fare you bought at, for sure join BA exec club if you have not even having Blue card is better than nothing. Good luck!
Blimey not seen this up to now and apparently they did not use the 380 for the BA0910 and BA0911 last Sunday evening (Which is what I have booked for this Sunday!!)

On the seat booking at the moment it shows a standard 2-2 on the BA0910 out and a 380 2-4-2 layout on the BA0911 coming back, is that because they just showed them all as 380 to start and the nearer outbound has been corrected back already (with the inbound soon to follow) or does seat layout at this point mean anything?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:23 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
On the seat booking at the moment it shows a standard 2-2 on the BA0910 out and a 380 2-4-2 layout on the BA0911 coming back, is that because they just showed them all as 380 to start and the nearer outbound has been corrected back already (with the inbound soon to follow) or does seat layout at this point mean anything? [/QUOTE]

Well I think you should be okay. I just did dummy booking for Sunday on the 910, it is a A380, it shows on booking page and when select seats it is A380. The BA flight status page show differant though:

http://www.britishairways.com/rtad/travel/public/en_gb

It shows the 902 and 903 as Airbus, suggesting A380, the 910 and 911 as A319.

But given you can go onto BA and book a seat on the A380, I would say you will be good
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: MP Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Plat
Well I think you should be okay. I just did dummy booking for Sunday on the 910, it is a A380, it shows on booking page and when select seats it is A380. The BA flight status page show differant though:

http://www.britishairways.com/rtad/travel/public/en_gb

It shows the 902 and 903 as Airbus, suggesting A380, the 910 and 911 as A319.

But given you can go onto BA and book a seat on the A380, I would say you will be good
Got my fingers crossed! You can select A380 seat for 0911 but not for 0910!! Actually on that Flight status it just says airbus for 910 and 911 (no mention of 319 that I can see)
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Few of my pics of you guys on the 781

Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP

What a fantastic day! Had a great flight out in 10A and an even more hilarious (alcohol assisted) trip back in 10D - didn't need my hideous reshift to 21H in the end!. A good laugh was had with the business class.se folks too! Such fun and thanks esp to BotB who was champagne provider du jour!

Great plane, loved the windows and an improvement on the 767 for sure. WT+ is a great cabin to be in and row 10 was excellent.

Currently in Ealing somewhere on the Picadilly line, wish I was just on another flight!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold
The OH ( a non-FTer) just off the inaugural 781. Unfortunately some issues spoiled the experience. Waited for over 45 mins for his baggage at belt 4 after being told his bag had definitely arrived, to be then told he should look on the other carousels, and there it was on belt 8.
He was also a bit miffed to be told the champers was being rationed on the flight only to see others ( you know who you are :-)) being handed two bottles at a time later in the flight. Nice one BA.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by lcyguy
He was also a bit miffed to be told the champers was being rationed on the flight only to see others ( you know who you are :-)) being handed two bottles at a time later in the flight. Nice one BA.
I only had five or so on the LHR-ARN leg
It must be a bit of a challenge for the crew when an FT-crowd AND a businessclass.se crowd are on the same flight.

I guess they are "return-catered" and no possibility of a refill at ARN.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
Me too! Was given 70K outbound and 50K inbound. Changed 50K as I don't think it has a window. Can't touch 70K right now but I want to as that doesn't have a window either!

Wonder if the WTP cabin will open to Y pax?
Are you all on the upper deck? For which flight is that? I can only see / assign seats for the lower deck.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: BAEC, SAS EBS, Miles&More
Originally Posted by nh1980
What a fantastic day! Had a great flight out in 10A and an even more hilarious (alcohol assisted) trip back in 10D - didn't need my hideous reshift to 21H in the end!. A good laugh was had with the business class.se folks too! Such fun and thanks esp to BotB who was champagne provider du jour!

Great plane, loved the windows and an improvement on the 767 for sure. WT+ is a great cabin to be in and row 10 was excellent.

Currently in Ealing somewhere on the Picadilly line, wish I was just on another flight!
Does 10A have a decent window view? Currently prepping my son for what to expect tomorrow (includes numerous reminders that this is not the 'double decker' plane that he is so keen on trying). Good to hear that everything went well today.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Petrus
Not at all. The WT+ seat is far superior to the standard CE seat. They are infact lucky. They should obviously get CE service.
Where there's a quick buck to be made eh...
Old Aug 9, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Originally Posted by koshka
Does 10A have a decent window view? Currently prepping my son for what to expect tomorrow (includes numerous reminders that this is not the 'double decker' plane that he is so keen on trying). Good to hear that everything went well today.
It's good, has 2 windows and you can fiddle with the shading too!

They were short of champagne on the 781 return??!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: BAEC, SAS EBS, Miles&More
Originally Posted by nh1980
It's good, has 2 windows and you can fiddle with the shading too!

They were short of champagne on the 781 return??!
Thanks. Champagne will unfortunately be low on our list of priorities. Why isn't the IFE operational is likely to come up but I have a DVD player to placate him.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Lobengula
I only had five or so on the LHR-ARN leg
It must be a bit of a challenge for the crew when an FT-crowd AND a businessclass.se crowd are on the same flight.
Well, on BA781 I got the penultimate bottle and I know who got the last one ... well, his seat number anyway
Old Aug 9, 2013, 4:31 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by lcyguy
The OH ( a non-FTer) just off the inaugural 781. Unfortunately some issues spoiled the experience. Waited for over 45 mins for his baggage at belt 4 after being told his bag had definitely arrived, to be then told he should look on the other carousels, and there it was on belt 8.
Sorry to hear that

I did ask very politely if I could have 2 bottles each time and was told it was no problem and didn't even realise champagne was limited until it did indeed run out. For the record we 'only' smuggled 6 bottles back to the FTer's in WT+ (between myself and a certain other well known FTer but no names shall be mentioned! )

If your OH had outted himself we would have gladly taken him under our FT wing and ensured he received a royal champagne welcome and flight.

On that topic...does anyone know when they introduced LP Cuvee Rose in the Flounge?

Lp cuvée rose by BA_pics, on Flickr

^^

Had a brilliant time, met quite a few current FTer's, some great folk from the Swedish group and of course some future FTer's. ^

Also, a very big thank you to the Cabin Crew, Flight Crew, Boeing staff for answering all of our questions and showing us around the crew rest area and staying on after the flight to let us look in the cockpit. ^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.