Advice, burning Avios to New Zealand

Old Jul 4, 2013, 9:28 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Hi all,

Im looking to all the experts here to provide validation that Ive explored all the options and that I have the best combination of reward flights

I'm looking to burn a load of miles for 3 tickets (2 adults + almost teen) next summer to see my brother in NZ. For background I have approx 500k of avois, one 241 voucher, and 120k of Virgin miles. I will also be travelling from the regions, and Im looking for business or first class travel at the best value (both in cash and miles terms).

My current plan is as follows.

Out to HKG on BA (new 380) in FIRST. Stop over for a couple of nights.

Onward to SYD on Virgin in UC, then onto NZ (probably on Virgin Australia with a paid ticket) same day.

After a couple of weeks in NZ, return to SYD with a stop over of a couple of nights.

Then onto SIN, probably on Qantas in business as BA appears to only be releasing 2 seats at the moment. I may change this to BA if the seats are released nearer departure.

Stopover in SIN for a night, then return to LHR in CW on BA, before onward upnorth.

This combo appears to have a good availability for 3 seats, and gets OK value out of my BA 241. I've explored other options but not really found anything as good. I would have liked to have got a direct flight to AKL but the HKG direct flight does not have more than 2 seats released at a time. I've also looked at via the USA but this uses more avios. MH does appear to have good availability but I would need to connect from SIN to KUL to make use of my 241, and the leg onward is then more expensive in points than Qantas.

The Qantas from HKG to SYD will not be a 380. Is the business any good on the 747 or 330 or is this likely to be an older business product?

If anyone has any advice or comment I would sure welcome it!

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 4, 2013, 9:40 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
HKG to SYD on QF is an A380 on some days.
QF 744 in J is being refitted, I'm not quite sure of what stage its up to but some are SkyBed mkI (lie flat slope), some are SkyBed mkII (flat as on A380).
A330 is SkyBed mkI.

Using your 241 from UK to HKG/SIN is good.

CX is another option from HKG to Aus/NZ.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 10:04 am
Original Member
Original Poster

CX only appear to release 2 business seats per flight on the HKG AKL sector. It also appears they limit release to SYD.

I did not find qantas 380 to syd. Perhaps they don't release reward seats on those flights?
Old Jul 4, 2013, 10:11 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by Tim_T
CX only appear to release 2 business seats per flight on the HKG AKL sector. It also appears they limit release to SYD.

I did not find qantas 380 to syd. Perhaps they don't release reward seats on those flights?
Not sure if the schedule is changing, but there is currently 1 daily flight and it is about 50/50 388/744
Old Jul 4, 2013, 1:13 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

nux, you are correct that Qantas HKG to SYD is a 380 on Fri - Mon, and a 747 the other days.

However I was planning to do the SYD to SIN on Qantas (with HKG to SYD on Virgin). There are two flights a day on this route, one is the 330 the other 747. From what you are saying, the 747 is likely to be the better option as this has more chance of the mkII seat.

The reason I'd made this choice was for a number of reasons:
1) I have exactly the right number of VS miles for 3 x oneway HKG to SYD in upperclass.

2) Availability on Qantas appears tighter for HKG - SYD

3) If I book SYD - SIN on Qantas, I can switch it to BA if availability opens up, saving me 40k avios (due to the 241)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.