Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Award availability for BA 2x 241 booking - Help please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2013, 3:57 pm
TBA
Original Poster

Hi,

I have been searching for reception seats now for a few days and am pulling my hair out, so would really appreciate some help here. We have 2 of the 241 vouchers, which we would like to use before they expire next may (2014). Would like to book something over the easter holidays - but that is proving rather difficult. First choices are Miami, orlando or somewhere nearby. The second choice is the Far east - Thailand/Malaysia.

the dates I am searching for are leaving heathrow end of March (29/30/31) and returning 16-18 April. Would prefer CW redemption, as I have been saving up quite a few miles for that, but if First was available, I would stump up the extra miles for at least a one way upgrade. Can someone help with some ideas, and is there a way to check redemption availability other than via Executive club website?

Would really appreciate any help and ideas. Family of 4, and if there are other redemption places with better availability, happy to explore that too. I can see Delhi and Mumbai have some availability - but have been to India a fair bit.

Thanks.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:06 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

There is some availability to Houston around those days. You could use it as an entry point to the US and then get a short flight to Orlando or Miami.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL

Try using awardnexus
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:25 pm
TBA
Original Poster

Thanks

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
There is some availability to Houston around those days. You could use it as an entry point to the US and then get a short flight to Orlando or Miami.
Many thanks for this. Not a bad idea. the dates work well. Next question is, would I be able to book a through trip to Miami via ba.com, using the rest of the redemption on American? So as to combine the pnr's? Also - would there be decent fares available on AA for that route? The other option that looks really tempting from there is cuba.

Really appreciate.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:27 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I think the key sometimes is to be flexible (if you can) and redemptions are sometimes very hard to find especially at Easter. Keep plugging away regularly though.

At the moment there are 4 F seats LHR-SIN on the 27th March 2014

There are also flights in Club from BKK to LHR on the 14th and 15th March showing 2 seats each..

So if you have 2 x 241 vouchers you could all travel together and making the outward and the return on spilt bookings (PNR's) I don't know if that suits your circumstances.

You would have to call (I think to book that itinerary) however it would give you a starter and having a solid booking for Easter and then if anything else opens up you can just cancel and re-book.

There are more knowledgeable posters here than I but hopefully you will get a good response/suggestions etc.

Good Luck and do come bck to let us know how you get on! ^

Pete
Old Jul 3, 2013, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
My experience of MIA & MCO flights, is that availability is very rare, especially so at weekends.

I am looking for 2-4-1 from MIA, next February and can currently only get 1 seat in F on a Tuesday!

I have found redemptions to Houston and Dallas, to be a lot easier to find.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 5:45 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by TBA
Many thanks for this. Not a bad idea. the dates work well. Next question is, would I be able to book a through trip to Miami via ba.com, using the rest of the redemption on American? So as to combine the pnr's? Also - would there be decent fares available on AA for that route? The other option that looks really tempting from there is cuba.

Really appreciate.
The 241 booking can only be on BA metal.

You cannot combine this with an AA booking, either cash or award. You need to book this separately. However, AA protects OneWorld to OneWorld connections on separate bookings.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 5:55 am

If on separate PNR's would it be wise to notify AA of the BA flight?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 6:11 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
The aadvantage site is useful for this as it will show you multiple connections (search LHR-MIA and it will show you lots of connections). https://www.aa.com/reservation/award...horEvent=false

There seems to be plenty of options, quite surprisingly, via BOS, EWR, PHL and IAD. These benefit from costing less avios than IAH, so you have some miles left for the AA connection.

As has been said, the connection has to be booked separately. On the way back AA will protect you if their flight is disrupted- just ensure you book a realistic connection time. On the way out, BA have no such policy, so maybe book a longer connection, or overnight in Washington?
Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:54 am
TBA
Original Poster

Thanks for the really useful info all. Will check this later this evening and reply.

I am aware that the 241 can only be used on BA metal. That's fine. Also, the connections form Houston or somewhere else in the US do not have to be made using Avios. If I can get a decent enough price and get some TP's on AA, that would not be a bad idea.

My only concern at this stage is two separate bookings, and whether I would be able to link the onward connections on AA with my BA PNR or not. I think I am getting the gist that BA delays will not be protected on my AA booking on the way out. However any AA delays will be protected for the return BA leg.

Have i got that right?

Many thanks.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 1:26 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
You won't be able to link the bookings to receive full protection, but you have the implications right.

AA's policy is here: http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tkt_policy.jsp

BA have no equivalent written policy. They might help you but that's hard to rely on.

You may find your travel insurance fills the gap: if you pay on the BA PP Amex, you get £200pp for a missed connection. That wouldn't be much good if you missed IAD-LHR without protection, but your risk is IAD-MIA where £200 might cover much of the cost. Other policies you have may be additional to this. I'd still stopover if you can though.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I think I am getting the gist that BA delays will not be protected on my AA booking on the way out. However any AA delays will be protected for the return BA leg.

Have i got that right?"

No. You will be protected from BA to AA and from AA to BA. AA's policy ensures that, but AA may be the carrier that protects you in the event of a BA delay. (AA's policy says that the carrier causing the delay will protect you, but if BA causes the delay and won't protect you, I would simply go to the AA counter and show AA's printed policy to the agent.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.