Your guide to Household Accounts

Old May 31, 2018, 3:03 am

If you create accounts for kids in a household account, what happens when they turn 18? Do they separate out and become stand-alone accounts? Do they keep the lifetime miles, flown, etc? I have some flights coming up on Qatar with my kids and I was going to create AA accounts for them to credit to, but then thought about the household accounts with BA, so I'm trying to decide what will be best for them. Thanks!
Old May 31, 2018, 9:20 am

The children's accounts, when they turn 18, do not leave the household account.

Also, the children themselves, when they turn 18, do not leave the household. Ever.
squawk and mtikky like this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
Moving from one HHA to another

Hello,

I am currently looking to jump from one HHA to another - a friend of mine and I are currently looking to transfer Avios from my account to his for him to use and this seems like the only route possible.

In order to do so, I need to leave my HHA and join his. When I go to the BA website, I was expecting to be able to change the HHA admin to someone else (4 of us in my existing HHA) and then leave the group to join his HHA. However, I cannot seem to see this as an option, the only thing that comes up in manage my HHA is deleting other members from the group. Any ideas on the best way to leave a HHA but keep the other members intact, as I would want to re join this original group in 6 months time...

Any assistance much appreciated.

Thanks,
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:53 pm

HHA/241 strategy question

I may be trying to be too clever here, but I'm thinking of something that would be quite useful if it works. My wife and I split our time between addresses in the US and the UK. We have an HHA that uses our US address, and she has a Chase BA card in her name that we use to earn 241s.

I would like to get an Amex BA card in my name using our UK address. I know that we can't earn both Chase and Amex 241s concurrently in the same HHA, so I was thinking of terminating the HHA. She would keep the US address on her EC account, and I would use the UK address on mine. That way she can earn Chase 241s in her account and I can earn Amex 241s in mine. We would travel together, using her 241s for trips originating in the US and mine for trips originating in the UK. Would this work? Or is the fatal flaw that for me to use an Amex 241 with her as a passenger, we would need to be in an HHA together?

Thanks!
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by senor hamachi
Or is the fatal flaw that for me to use an Amex 241 with her as a passenger, we would need to be in an HHA together?
No, there is no requirement to be in a HHA to use an Amex 2-4-1. Being in a HHA may restrict who you can take with you, but if you're not in a HHA you can take anyone as your companion.

My constant view is that unless you need to be in a HHA, you are better off without.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
How do you split someone out of a HHA with them keeping their miles and TPs

Daughter is now an adult and we want to split her BAEC account out of our HHA with her keeping the miles and TPs she has.

Doesn't seem an obvious way to do this online - anyone know what the process is?

Thanks

Andy
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by dajdavies
Daughter is now an adult and we want to split her BAEC account out of our HHA with her keeping the miles and TPs she has.

Doesn't seem an obvious way to do this online - anyone know what the process is?

Thanks

Andy
Under the Executive Account tab, choose Household Account, then "Manage my Account." Each member's name will be listed, with a wastebasket icon next to each name.

If you click on the wastebasket, I believe the member will be deleted from the HHA. (I prefer not to experiment on my own account!)
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:44 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
I have two family members (sisters) in another country who I am going to buy some OW/QF tickets for. They are not a member of BAEC.
It would be a shame to let their Avios go to waste, and I would like to open a BAEC account for them and add them to my HHA so I can use "their" Avios.

Would it be frowned upon if I add them to the same address as me? Currently only my partner is on my HHA.
Or should I open an account for them at their own address, and can I then have those Avios transferred to my account?

Globalist
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
They must reside permanently with you to be legally added to your HHA. Honestly, if they live elsewhere I wouldn't do that.
You can open an account for them, maybe even their own HHA if they live together, but you will have to pay to transfer their avios to your account... and sometimes the price vs avios value it's not worth the hassle.
You can also open an account for them anyway and then book from there something for you, if there are enough avios available.
Globalist and T8191 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Prospero
Remember also, if you are a HHA member without any transactions in the last 12 months to your name you will be unable to book a Reward Flight Saver ticket for yourself. One of the active members in your household would have to book it on your behalf or you would need to earn an Avios to book for yourself.
Can someone explain the active member thing to me? It appears you need some sort of activity every 36 month to keep your Avios, but some sort of activity every 12 months to remain an active member. What are the consequences of becoming inactive? What is all accounts in a household account become inactive? Can I transfer points from Chase UR to make my account active again after it has become inactive?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Can someone explain the active member thing to me? It appears you need some sort of activity every 36 month to keep your Avios, but some sort of activity every 12 months to remain an active member. What are the consequences of becoming inactive? What is all accounts in a household account become inactive? Can I transfer points from Chase UR to make my account active again after it has become inactive?
"Active" only relates to being eligible for Reward Flight Saver, which is a discount/capping of the taxes on BA shorthaul flights in Europe. If you don't plan to take advantage of RFS, there is no incentive for you to remain active. A Chase transfer should though make you active and also reset the 36 month clock but only for one account, not the whole household unless you have status.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
When I do a redemption, it takes a fraction from every Household member's account, would that extend the expiration date for everyone? Thank you!
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Yes. (Resets the 36 month expiry, but not the 12 months active RFS status.)
milemission likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:25 am
Suspended

We have an HHA. I added our nanny to our F&F list when I made another F&F change a couple months back in anticipation of booking a ticket for her to come on holiday with us. We then fired the nanny and have hired another. Its several months before my F&F list is available to be modified. What are the chances an e-mail or call to the GGL e-mail/phone line with an explanation of the circumstances would result in an exception?

I assume that the alternative is to open up a new account for her as part of our HHA? While I imagine enforcement is next to non-existent, I assume this is technically against T&C so would prefer to just get an exception.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by PGFlyer85
We have an HHA. I added our nanny to our F&F list when I made another F&F change a couple months back in anticipation of booking a ticket for her to come on holiday with us. We then fired the nanny and have hired another. Its several months before my F&F list is available to be modified. What are the chances an e-mail or call to the GGL e-mail/phone line with an explanation of the circumstances would result in an exception?

I assume that the alternative is to open up a new account for her as part of our HHA? While I imagine enforcement is next to non-existent, I assume this is technically against T&C so would prefer to just get an exception.
With a detailed look for the T&C, it seems HHA and F&F list are treated as 2 separate list under separate rules:
For HHA:
18.1.8. Once a Household Account is established, new Member(s) may not be added or existing Member(s) removed more than once every six months. A Household Account may not be dissolved or re-established more than once every six months.
If there is any change to the HHA list, my reading is the whole list will be frozen for 6 months

Whilst for F&F list:
19.1.2. Individuals nominated to the Family and Friends List must remain on the list for a minimum of six months.
19.1.9. Once a Family and Friends List is established, new nominees(s) may be added or existing nominee(s) removed, subject to Clause 19.1.2.
For F&F list, the restriction is each individual must stay in the list for 6 months, and they are treated individually, meaning the whole list won't be frozen like the HHA list.

Of course, you should also see the in BAEC Manage My Account, there's a statement about the F&F list:
* When you remove people from your Family and Friends list, you have a window of 24 hours from the time you start making changes. After that, you cannot change the people on your list for 6 months.
Which seems to be a bit contradictory to the T&C as described above, and definitely not mentioned in the T&C.

Not sure how full your F&F list is, but the options for you would be:
If your F&F list is actually full, then you may have to consider removing one of the person from F&F list temporarily until the fired nanny stayed in the list for 6 months, then swapped the fired nanny with the removed member.
If your F&F list is NOT full even with the fired nanny added, then you may safely add your new nanny to the list, then remove the fired nanny when you need to add more people to the list.
(If you do decide to call up to seek clarification, please share the info with us here!).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.