Your guide to Household Accounts

Old Apr 8, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Gold
I'm new here, so I apologize if I missed this somewhere earlier....

I am a leisure traveler, so I don't make too many BA flights. My husband and I both have some older Avios he got a note his were about to expire. We have the BA Chase Visa so I am earning Avios currently so I guess mine won't expire the same way? If we merge to a HHA will this 'save' his miles from expiring?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: BA, VS
Originally Posted by nux
Yes have done this a few times, never an issue.
Thanks for the quick response and the reassurance!
Old Apr 21, 2014, 2:19 pm
duo

Can a single individual set a House Hold account? i.e. Only one at the address
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:00 pm
duo

Originally Posted by duo
Can a single individual set a House Hold account? i.e. Only one at the address
Anyone?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by duo
Anyone?
Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Why would you need a family account if there is only one person?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:49 pm

Having only yourself in a Household Account would provide a distinct advantage..... because it would let you drive your car in the carpool lane. Other than that, there is no advantage (or reason).
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:23 am
duo

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Having only yourself in a Household Account would provide a distinct advantage..... because it would let you drive your car in the carpool lane. Other than that, there is no advantage (or reason).
I thought you could pool Avios with the Friends list, sorry my bad. I misunderstood. It is pointless.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 5:30 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
HHA Acount combine Avios with IB

Hi,

did not find the answer and don't really understand the T&C below...

So, it should be possible to combine Avios from a BA HHA account to an individual IB Plus account, right? Will the miles be taken from the 'pool'? What about names? Does the IB Plus account correspond to any person in the HHA account?

-> Can a HHA friend combine avios to his IB Plus account?

BAEC Conditions of use

3) Members of a Household Account under the Programmes may not use 'Combine my Avios' other than (a) from a British Airways Executive Club Household Account to an individual account under the Avios Programme or the Iberia Plus Programme and (b) from the individual account under the Avios Programme to a Household Account under the British Airways Executive Programme. Any other Household account transaction will not be permitted under Combine my Avios.
Thank you for clarification!
Old Jun 23, 2014, 5:49 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
So, it should be possible to combine Avios from a BA HHA account to an individual IB Plus account, right? Will the miles be taken from the 'pool'? What about names? Does the IB Plus account correspond to any person in the HHA account?
The Avios will always come from, and stay in, an individual name. (If it's not obvious, under a BA HHA you maintain separate person balances as well as having a pooled total for the household.)

So if Jack has 60k and Jill 40k, Jack can move up to 60k to his IB account (and only his account). Jill will still have her 40k unaffected.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Thank you for your explanation, pauldb !

Now the T&C make also sense to me .
Old Jun 23, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
You can move from BA HHA member to an IB+ account, but not the reverse. You'll need to go through an Avios.com account, or dissolve the HHA if you need the Avios back from IB+ to BA.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:57 am

A question that does not seem to be covered either here or on BA.com.

Does adding someone to your Friends and Family list count as a change as to the limit of only one change to a Household Account every 6 months?

Thanks in advance for any data points or other guidance.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
If a Blue or Bronze member has had no activity in 36 consecutive months but they are part of an HHA which has a Gold or Silver member their Avios will be protected as long as there is an active Gold or Silver in the HHA. Other than that, make sure you keep an eye on this and ensure all accounts have some activity occasionally of course, the easiest way to do that is a redemption due to the formula above.
My wife is a Blue. She never has activity. I am a Silver with last activity in June. We have a household account.

A few months ago, she received an email saying that her Avios would expire in 6 months.

Somewhat moot (I hope) for the next three years, because I am about to do a redemption for me, which if I understand the first post of this thread correctly, will result in some of her Avios being deducted which should then reset the 36 month timer.

Still it is annoying. Thoughts?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by mre5765
My wife is a Blue. She never has activity. I am a Silver with last activity in June. We have a household account.

A few months ago, she received an email saying that her Avios would expire in 6 months.

Somewhat moot (I hope) for the next three years, because I am about to do a redemption for me, which if I understand the first post of this thread correctly, will result in some of her Avios being deducted which should then reset the 36 month timer.

Still it is annoying. Thoughts?
I'm not sure what is annoying about it (the fact the avios expire?). If you are silver and have earned or redeemed avios then her points will not expire.

In any event, booking a redemption will result in avios being deducted from all individual accounts in the HHA which will count as activity and extend all of the individual accounts.
From the terms and conditions:
18.1.16. For the avoidance of doubt the Avios Points balance of individual Household Account members shall expire in accordance with Clause 14.3 if the individual Household Account member has not earned or redeemed Avios Points or purchased or transferred Avios Points in accordance with the appropriate Conditions of Use for 36 consecutive months. Notwithstanding Clause 3.12.1 in such circumstances the membership of the individual Household Account member and the Household Account shall continue in effect.

18.1.17. Notwithstanding Clause 18.1.16 in the event a Household Account has as a Household Account member a Gold or Silver Tier Member who has earned or redeemed Avios Points within the last 36 consecutive months then the Avios Points balance of the other Household Account members shall not be subject to expiry in accordance with Clause 14.3. In the event a Household Account ceases to have as a Household Account member any such Gold or Silver Tier Member Tier Member then the provisions of Clause 18.1.16 shall apply.
From the Guide:
Keeping Avios alive!
If a Blue or Bronze member has had no activity in 36 consecutive months but they are part of an HHA which has a Gold or Silver member their Avios will be protected as long as there is an active Gold or Silver in the HHA. Other than that, make sure you keep an eye on this and ensure all accounts have some activity occasionally of course, the easiest way to do that is a redemption due to the formula above.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I'm not sure what is annoying about it (the fact the avios expire?).
What is annoying is the fact that a few months after a Silver in our household account has activity, she is warned her Avios will expire in 6 months.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.