Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to Household Accounts

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2020, 12:17 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
The terms and conditions for household accounts have provisions dealing with the primary (head) of the account dying or leaving the executive club and being replaced by a new primary.

The terms don't explicitly provide provisions for the primary to leave the HHA and still remain a member of BAEC. Over the years though a few people have reported doing want you are trying to do. They have reported that the kids accounts were closed (and miles transferred to the primary of the account that is leaving) but they then were able to create new accounts for the kids.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23810206-post2.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21137461-post5.html
thanks for the link and it is much appreciated!
Old Jan 31, 2021, 5:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Does booking an award flight in a HHA with Avios and then canceling/redepositing the Avios reset the AVIOS expiration clock for all members of the HHA?

I'm the primary member of a HHA with Mrs Huge. She doesn't have activity very often, and her history looks like this:Transaction:23-Jan-19 Posted:23-Jan-19 Redeposit 0 6,324
Transaction:16-Jan-19 Posted:16-Jan-19 Redeposit 0 6,323
Transaction:15-Jan-19 Posted:15-Jan-19 Redeposit 0 6,323
Transaction:07-Jan-19 Posted:07-Jan-19 Redemption 0 -6,324
Transaction:05-Jan-19 Posted:05-Jan-19 Redemption 0 -6,323
Transaction:01-Jan-19 Posted:01-Jan-19 Redemption 0 -6,323
Transaction:13-Nov-17 Posted:13-Nov-17 Summary of Previous Transaction 0 -1,059

I'm trying to figure out whether (a) we have almost a year to worry about getting her some more activity or (b) her Avios should have expired back in November and we should scramble right this instant before BA notices that they should be expiring.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by huge
Does booking an award flight in a HHA with Avios and then canceling/redepositing the Avios reset the AVIOS expiration clock for all members of the HHA?
Does anyone have an answer to this? It works with some airlines/hotels.

Also, I see in post #1, that as long as one family member is Gold/Silver, no Avios in the pool will expire?
I also remember reading that this now extends to Bronze?

I have 2 family members whose Avios will expire soon, its been 36 months, I am still Bronze, are those points safe?
Will booking and redepositing an award count for an extension?
Old Mar 20, 2021, 7:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Apologies if this has been asked before but a brief search couldn’t find it.

My partner lives in their own but it seems impossible to open a household account, and therefore a friends and family list, unless you add someone to your household account.

The simple question is - how does someone who lives alone create a household account?
Old Mar 20, 2021, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer
My partner lives in their own but it seems impossible to open a household account, and therefore a friends and family list, unless you add someone to your household account.

The simple question is - how does someone who lives alone create a household account?
If they live alone and don't have a HHA, why do they need a F&F list?

I have a suspicion that there may be some esoteric corner of BAEC that nevertheless requires this of those who live alone, but it's not immediately coming to mind.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Apologies if this has been asked before but a brief search couldn’t find it.

If your partner isn’t in a HHA why does your partner need the friends and family list? The F + F list is for those who are in a HHA and can only book for members of the HHA and those they add to the F + F list. Your partner, not being in a HHA can book for anyone.

In any event, all members of the HHA are supposed to be living in the same “household.” If your wants to be in a HHA then your partner will need to change address or someone else will need to change BAEC address.

From the terms and conditions:
18.1.2. A maximum of seven individuals are allowed per Household Account. All Household Account members must permanently reside at the same residential address. Subject to Clause 18.1.4 (b) below, there is no age requirement to belong to a Household Account.

18.1.3. Only one Household Account per residence is permitted. Business addresses are not permitted for Household Accounts. Only permanent residential addresses are permitted for Household Accounts.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...and-conditions

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Mar 20, 2021 at 11:42 am Reason: add t and c quote.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond

Originally Posted by Globaliser

I have a suspicion that there may be some esoteric corner of BAEC that nevertheless requires this of those who live alone, but it's not immediately coming to mind.
Esoteric? I would have thought that a sizable % of FTers active on the BA board will have at least looked into the possibilities of adding people to a HHA despite not actually living together.

How many HHAs don't include three generations and sometimes the "servants"?
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Esoteric? I would have thought that a sizable % of FTers active on the BA board will have at least looked into the possibilities of adding people to a HHA despite not actually living together.
Indeed you don't have to be around here for very long to see the number of people who think that the rules don't apply to them, or that they're too special to have to live by them.

But the question was about not being able to create an F&F list if you live on your own. If you do, and you therefore don't have (or need) a HHA, then why would you need an F&F list?
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2021, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Indeed you don't have to be around here for very long to see the number of people who think that the rules don't apply to them, or that they're too special to have to live by them.

But the question was about not being able to create an F&F list if you live on your own. If you do, and you therefore don't have (or need) a HHA, then why would you need an F&F list?
I think probably the OP in question assumed that you must put someone on a F&F list to be able to book an award in their name. A little light Googling can do as much harm as good sometimes if "booking award for somebody else" gets you to a blog post about HHAs.

IIRC, IB+ still requires you to set people up as a "beneficiary" in order to book stand-alone awards for them. TK also restricts the online booking of partner awards to member + guest(s). So, it's not necessarily common knowledge or standard industry-wide practice that you can use your BA Avios to book for anybody, especially if the member isn't going to be included on the booking.
Old May 12, 2021, 2:39 pm

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
Originally Posted by rankourabu

Also, I see in post #1, that as long as one family member is Gold/Silver, no Avios in the pool will expire?
I also remember reading that this now extends to Bronze?

I have 2 family members whose Avios will expire soon, its been 36 months, I am still Bronze, are those points safe?
The current T&C do list Bronze as well:

"18.1.18. Notwithstanding Clause 18.1.16 [it's actually 18.1.17], in the event a Household Account has a Gold, Silver or Bronze Tier Member who has earned or redeemed Avios points within the last 36 consecutive months then the Avios points balance of the other Household Account Members shall not be subject to expiry in accordance with Clause 14.4. In the event a Household Account ceases to have as a Household Account Member any such Gold, Silver or Bronze Tier Member then the provisions of Clause 18.1.16 shall apply."
Old Jun 12, 2021, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Some relatives have enrolled themselves in a HHA and I was trying to help them redeem some miles for people in the F&F list. When making an award for just 1 pax, there isn't a dropdown list of all possible people, just the name of the head of the household and it cannot be changed? Does every award booking have to have the head of the household or the person from whose account the award is being booked?

When making a booking for 2 people, one is the head and the other has the dropdown list.

Last edited by UA Fan; Jun 12, 2021 at 9:14 am
Old Jun 13, 2021, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Some relatives have enrolled themselves in a HHA and I was trying to help them redeem some miles for people in the F&F list. When making an award for just 1 pax, there isn't a dropdown list of all possible people, just the name of the head of the household and it cannot be changed? Does every award booking have to have the head of the household or the person from whose account the award is being booked?

When making a booking for 2 people, one is the head and the other has the dropdown list.
Any other household accounts have this issue?
Old Jul 15, 2021, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver,AA,EI&UA
Have read this, and multiple other related threads plus the BA site, so apologies if I've missed the answer to my question.
Can a household member be removed and then subsequently added back to the account (after 6 months if I read the rules correctly about time between changes)?
I have a household account with 2 members. I'm head and want to remove the other household member for a time. If I remove the other member I assume this would terminate/dissolve the household account. Can that same "removed" member be reinstated to this, or a new, household account? I assume any action to recreate the current 2 member household account would have to wait at least six months from the date of removal.
Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited by Nil SeAnn; Jul 15, 2021 at 2:56 pm Reason: Spelling/grammatical error.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 3:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
I have removed and added somebody from my HHA within a very short time period. I seem to remember you have a two week window in which you can make changes. My HHA still had another member so wasn’t dissolved so I am not exactly sure what would happen in your situation.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver,AA,EI&UA
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
I have removed and added somebody from my HHA within a very short time period. I seem to remember you have a two week window in which you can make changes. My HHA still had another member so wasn’t dissolved so I am not exactly sure what would happen in your situation.
Thanks. Hopefully someone will help me navigate this seemingly uncharted proposed journey!
The reason I'm contemplating this short term removal, and subsequent reinstatement, is to facilitate moving my Aer Lingus Avios over to my BA Avios account. Seems that EI Avios can't be transferred into a BA household account, but only to an individual account. This assumes Avios transfers from EI to BA are still permitted, which I believe is still the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.