Your guide to Household Accounts

Old Dec 30, 20, 12:17 am
  #226  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: HKG
Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,627
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
The terms and conditions for household accounts have provisions dealing with the primary (head) of the account dying or leaving the executive club and being replaced by a new primary.

The terms don't explicitly provide provisions for the primary to leave the HHA and still remain a member of BAEC. Over the years though a few people have reported doing want you are trying to do. They have reported that the kids accounts were closed (and miles transferred to the primary of the account that is leaving) but they then were able to create new accounts for the kids.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23810206-post2.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21137461-post5.html
thanks for the link and it is much appreciated!
ermen is offline  
Old Jan 31, 21, 5:40 pm
  #227  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 756
Does booking an award flight in a HHA with Avios and then canceling/redepositing the Avios reset the AVIOS expiration clock for all members of the HHA?

I'm the primary member of a HHA with Mrs Huge. She doesn't have activity very often, and her history looks like this:Transaction:23-Jan-19 Posted:23-Jan-19 Redeposit 0 6,324
Transaction:16-Jan-19 Posted:16-Jan-19 Redeposit 0 6,323
Transaction:15-Jan-19 Posted:15-Jan-19 Redeposit 0 6,323
Transaction:07-Jan-19 Posted:07-Jan-19 Redemption 0 -6,324
Transaction:05-Jan-19 Posted:05-Jan-19 Redemption 0 -6,323
Transaction:01-Jan-19 Posted:01-Jan-19 Redemption 0 -6,323
Transaction:13-Nov-17 Posted:13-Nov-17 Summary of Previous Transaction 0 -1,059

I'm trying to figure out whether (a) we have almost a year to worry about getting her some more activity or (b) her Avios should have expired back in November and we should scramble right this instant before BA notices that they should be expiring.
huge is offline  
Old Feb 11, 21, 7:07 am
  #228  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 21,747
Originally Posted by huge View Post
Does booking an award flight in a HHA with Avios and then canceling/redepositing the Avios reset the AVIOS expiration clock for all members of the HHA?
Does anyone have an answer to this? It works with some airlines/hotels.

Also, I see in post #1, that as long as one family member is Gold/Silver, no Avios in the pool will expire?
I also remember reading that this now extends to Bronze?

I have 2 family members whose Avios will expire soon, its been 36 months, I am still Bronze, are those points safe?
Will booking and redepositing an award count for an extension?
rankourabu is offline  
Old Mar 20, 21, 7:11 am
  #229  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Posts: 1,501
Apologies if this has been asked before but a brief search couldn’t find it.

My partner lives in their own but it seems impossible to open a household account, and therefore a friends and family list, unless you add someone to your household account.

The simple question is - how does someone who lives alone create a household account?
BerksFlyer is online now  
Old Mar 20, 21, 7:13 am
  #230  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 37,131
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer View Post
My partner lives in their own but it seems impossible to open a household account, and therefore a friends and family list, unless you add someone to your household account.

The simple question is - how does someone who lives alone create a household account?
If they live alone and don't have a HHA, why do they need a F&F list?

I have a suspicion that there may be some esoteric corner of BAEC that nevertheless requires this of those who live alone, but it's not immediately coming to mind.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Globaliser is offline  
Old Mar 20, 21, 11:36 am
  #231  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
Posts: 13,529
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer View Post
Apologies if this has been asked before but a brief search couldn’t find it.

My partner lives in their own but it seems impossible to open a household account, and therefore a friends and family list, unless you add someone to your household account.

The simple question is - how does someone who lives alone create a household account?
If your partner isn’t in a HHA why does your partner need the friends and family list? The F + F list is for those who are in a HHA and can only book for members of the HHA and those they add to the F + F list. Your partner, not being in a HHA can book for anyone.

In any event, all members of the HHA are supposed to be living in the same “household.” If your wants to be in a HHA then your partner will need to change address or someone else will need to change BAEC address.

From the terms and conditions:
18.1.2. A maximum of seven individuals are allowed per Household Account. All Household Account members must permanently reside at the same residential address. Subject to Clause 18.1.4 (b) below, there is no age requirement to belong to a Household Account.

18.1.3. Only one Household Account per residence is permitted. Business addresses are not permitted for Household Accounts. Only permanent residential addresses are permitted for Household Accounts.
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...and-conditions

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Mar 20, 21 at 11:42 am Reason: add t and c quote.
jerry a. laska is offline  
Old Mar 21, 21, 9:46 am
  #232  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 8,936
Originally Posted by BerksFlyer View Post

The simple question is - how does someone who lives alone create a household account?
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post

I have a suspicion that there may be some esoteric corner of BAEC that nevertheless requires this of those who live alone, but it's not immediately coming to mind.
Esoteric? I would have thought that a sizable % of FTers active on the BA board will have at least looked into the possibilities of adding people to a HHA despite not actually living together.

How many HHAs don't include three generations and sometimes the "servants"?
Steve in Olympia likes this.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Mar 21, 21, 1:30 pm
  #233  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London
Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Posts: 37,131
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Esoteric? I would have thought that a sizable % of FTers active on the BA board will have at least looked into the possibilities of adding people to a HHA despite not actually living together.
Indeed you don't have to be around here for very long to see the number of people who think that the rules don't apply to them, or that they're too special to have to live by them.

But the question was about not being able to create an F&F list if you live on your own. If you do, and you therefore don't have (or need) a HHA, then why would you need an F&F list?
jerry a. laska likes this.
Globaliser is offline  
Old Mar 21, 21, 2:46 pm
  #234  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 8,936
Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
Indeed you don't have to be around here for very long to see the number of people who think that the rules don't apply to them, or that they're too special to have to live by them.

But the question was about not being able to create an F&F list if you live on your own. If you do, and you therefore don't have (or need) a HHA, then why would you need an F&F list?
I think probably the OP in question assumed that you must put someone on a F&F list to be able to book an award in their name. A little light Googling can do as much harm as good sometimes if "booking award for somebody else" gets you to a blog post about HHAs.

IIRC, IB+ still requires you to set people up as a "beneficiary" in order to book stand-alone awards for them. TK also restricts the online booking of partner awards to member + guest(s). So, it's not necessarily common knowledge or standard industry-wide practice that you can use your BA Avios to book for anybody, especially if the member isn't going to be included on the booking.
craigthemif is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: