Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA connecting flights at Heathrow T5: never again

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA connecting flights at Heathrow T5: never again

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2013, 6:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by nologic
...an hour seems lengthy.
It feels even longer when you standing around in the heat, tired from a long flight with little sleep and queues that never end!

The quickest I've gone from an EU A gate arrival to CCR is 10 minutes. The longest, 70 minutes.

The nicest connections are domestics, nice and quick with just a swift conformance check and no security ... unless you get a dreaded remote gate!
Old Jul 19, 2013, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Because funnily enough HMG doesn't believe the security at certain airports (including provincial airports in Greece, Eastern Europe, never mind Africa) to be of quite the same standard as the UK. The USA has a fairly similar point of view. The lines can look horribly long, but it rarely takes more than 20 minutes to clear, even when the queue is out the back. But it's great you made the connection.
If this is the reason, why are there direct flights from any of these "untrustworthy" airports to the USA? I'm thinking of CDG, AMS, FRA, MUC, ZRH...

In fact, never mind the US, why do we let these flights into the UK at all, if there's even a chance the pax could be water-carrying maniacs?

"Safe enough to send passengers on direct flights to New York, but not safe enough to let those passengers transfer to New York through Heathrow? "
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
This may very well be very stupid observations so apologies in advance as i only go through t5 a couple of times a year max, but something about lhr confuses me....

When i go through T5 incoming from grand cayman or miami connecting to a uk internal flight, the arrivals/immigration area is always a total zoo, but with a CW ticket / status, i am ushered straight to the connections line that i guess is for uk citizens and i have never seen more than, well, me in it, even though every other area/line seems to be a zoo. I went through a few weeks back at 11 am or so, was pointed to a lady holding a barrier closed, I said 'CW domestic connection and someone pointed us to you' as i found it odd the area was barried off (and completely empty), she undid the barrier holding back a bunch of other people and sent my wife and me through to the connections immigration desk just in between the immigration line for those going to get bags/exit to london i think, and the sorting area for liquids etc before you go up the escalators into T5 departures/security. As usual, it was completely empty yet there was a line sneaking down the wall (after doing the 90 degree turn from the main corridor) towards the immigration desks with staff holding thousands of people back - we just sauntered past them all in confusion, even having to pass right in front of the end of the queue to get to the immigration ladies who were sitting doing nothing as they had no one to process, and i had no idea where the people in that long queue were being pointed to since it seemed to lead to the same immigration people we were seen by! No one was let out of that queue to see where they were going. What are all the other areas for as im clearly missing something here. Is it all non-UK passport holders in the queues, and Brits just seemingly do not connect through LHR? It has always baffled me why it is so busy and chaotic, yet i seem to get pointed to a non-queue and it has never taken more than a couple of seconds once at immigration to get my mugshot taken.

I also recall back when a tropical storm had gone through cayman and i was re-routed on the direct gcm-lhr flight in CW instead of mia-lhr in F. I couldnt get a BP for my connection to GLA, went to the re-booking desk that had a massive queue (just to the right of the immigration area i am always ushred through mentioned above), but absolutely no-one in the line for premium/status pax which i thought, hmm, maybe it is closed. So I sauntered over, chap waved me over and asked if premium/status, yes sir says I, excellent, welcome says he, and sorted out my travel woes immediately. I got quite a few evil stares from everyone else in the non-status very long line. So i guess a question is, everyone on here i would think would have status of some sort, where exactly are the hold ups happening? Im certainly not doubting they exist, i see the massive queues every time, but i never have to join one. I am just a typical British guy with a beer gut, i can't believe there are not some other status/premium Brit connecting pax through lhr - but then where are they all?

Last edited by jcm9000; Jul 19, 2013 at 9:47 am
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jcm9000
So i guess a question is, everyone on here i would think would have status of some sort, where exactly are the hold ups happening?
The hall is divided into 3 zones, though you'd struggle to see it. Most people are in the UK Border zone, leaving T5.

The next biggest area, the one nearest to the customer service desk is Flight Connections. This often looks a zoo, if you don't have status, but on that level the only thing that is happening to them is getting their boarding passes scanned. The people in this channel are connecting at T5 from one international destination to another. They don't therefore go through passport control. This is the area some people complain about, but most complaints are about the security scan up the escalators.

You were in the smallest zone: UK Flight Connections, which as you say rarely has much of a queue. This is between the UK Border and Flight Connections. You have 2 additional checks: passports, then the photo scan. Despite the additional checks, as you indicate you are then generally sent off to security very quickly.

For the main flight connections there is a Fast track on the furthest edge, which is also generally quite quick. UK Flight Connections also has a fast track, which isn't alway open, but that is the channel nearest to UK Border and e-passport machines, so if you were let in to that area from the main UK Border zone through the tensa barriers, that is where you would have ended up.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Great reply, thanks, definitely clears things up for that queue to the right of where i was right next to the customer service desk (we were just to the left of them as you noted in what was a fast track line for uk connections). I think that is the main problem, there is no way unless you worked on the design of the hall to know what zone is what!! I just always find it odd no one ever seems to be in the domestic connection + status queue. Maybe they all get herded into the wrong queue and i have just been lucky! People moan about MIA, but at least you know where to go and it is more or less orderly (unless it is completely rammed, then arguments begin). And having got GE approved yesterday.....well, mia is now officially great for me!

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The hall is divided into 3 zones, though you'd struggle to see it. Most people are in the UK Border zone, leaving T5.

The next biggest area, the one nearest to the customer service desk is Flight Connections. This often looks a zoo, if you don't have status, but on that level the only thing that is happening to them is getting their boarding passes scanned. The people in this channel are connecting at T5 from one international destination to another. They don't therefore go through passport control. This is the area some people complain about, but most complaints are about the security scan up the escalators.

You were in the smallest zone: UK Flight Connections, which as you say rarely has much of a queue. This is between the UK Border and Flight Connections. You have 2 additional checks: passports, then the photo scan. Despite the additional checks, as you indicate you are then generally sent off to security very quickly.

For the main flight connections there is a Fast track on the furthest edge, which is also generally quite quick. UK Flight Connections also has a fast track, which isn't alway open, but that is the channel nearest to UK Border and e-passport machines, so if you were let in to that area from the main UK Border zone through the tensa barriers, that is where you would have ended up.

Last edited by jcm9000; Jul 19, 2013 at 12:33 pm
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Gold
A short 1,5 hour connection was the reason I choosed a later flight to HGK, meaning I will be missing the A380 and my connection flight got moved forward 4 hours. Guess the 7 hours at the airport will be enought to get the connection
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:10 am

Copenhagen - Terminal 5 - Lax

I'm travelling on a through ticket from Copenhagen connecting at Terminal 5 for Lax on Saturday.

When booking the flight, I did unfortunately not pay close attention to the connection time naively thinking "if BA sold it to me - then it must be manageable".

The Copenhagen flight is scheduled to arrive at T5 08:30 and our LAX flight departs at 09:40.

Is 90 minutes manageable this early in the morning? Or should we try to re-book for a later flight?

We understand that BA will make sure we get on another flight should we miss it due to the first being late. However, what happens if we get to T5 as scheduled but get stuck in security for 60 minutes and miss the flight? Are we to pay for new tickets?

Many thanks.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:16 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by mlife
The Copenhagen flight is scheduled to arrive at T5 08:30 and our LAX flight departs at 09:40.

Is 90 minutes manageable this early in the morning? Or should we try to re-book for a later flight?

We understand that BA will make sure we get on another flight should we miss it due to the first being late. However, what happens if we get to T5 as scheduled but get stuck in security for 60 minutes and miss the flight? Are we to pay for new tickets?
You have a 70 minute connection. The MCT T5-T5 is 60 minutes.
As it is a legal connection, if you try to rebook it BA will charge you any change fees applicable at a minimum.

If you get stuck at security BA will put you on the next flight.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
I'm travelling on a through ticket from Copenhagen connecting at Terminal 5 for Lax on Saturday.

When booking the flight, I did unfortunately not pay close attention to the connection time naively thinking "if BA sold it to me - then it must be manageable".

That's 70 minutes, not 90.

BA will not let you book this on one ticket if your connection is below MCT.
The II MCT T5-T5 is 60 minutes, so you are on a valid connection.

I would guess you'll make it fine, but it won't be a relaxed experience. If your incoming flight is late (which is not uncommon at LHR), BA will rebook you.

It's likely the LAX flight will depart from a B gate.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome mlife

Welcome to Flyertalk mlife. And welcome in particular to the BA board, it's great to see you here, please make yourself at home and feel free to contribute to this forum.

I go through T5 as a transit passenger quite a lot. 70 minutes is fine, I'd be very comfortable with that and I'd expect a coffee or two in the lounge too. Saturdays is generally quiet too, and I'd be surprised if security takes you 10 minutes. Even at its groaning worst it's rarely longer than 20 minutes. Obviously one should not hang around, but you have a reasonable connection.

When you get to Flight Connections, you are scanned. If you are allowed past (and the cut off is approximately 35 minutes before the LAX departure) you will in essence make the flight. It's rare for anyone to be rebooked after getting stuck in security, though it does very occasionally happen. But if it did happen you would be rebooked free of charge. That peace of mind comes from having one through ticket, but even if it was two tickets, so long as you pass the first scan in time then your flight is protected.

Nevertheless, for other reasons, it's always good to have good travel insurance. And you will speed yourself through the system if you carry the minimum of computers and liquids, and separating them out into trays if you do take them.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AC Aéroplan, Accor ALL
The bottom line seems to be that LHRT5 is simply dysfunctional. How old is ZRH now and they have embarrassingly faster transfer times even when busses are involved. Yet brand-new T5 makes no sense at all, making people who have cleared security go through it again at A gates - and the Government's relentless campaign against non-EU passport holders, closure of IRIS, the so-called 'Fast Track' queues are angeringly slow, when they're open, which is not often the case. The experience at this airport is downright hostile to non-Europeans, slow, and inefficient. It is offensive to people from Commonwealth countries that welcome people from the UK and represent no immigration risk whatsoever to the Home Office. I'm saying this as someone that loves the UK.

T5's planners got it wrong from the day the first brick was laid, as did the planning of the mindblowingly expensive taxpayer-backed Heathrow Express whose genius inventors could not find a way to get a newly constructed rail-link to stop at all terminals.

And the government: making it more difficult for people to arrive here on aircraft, instead of using this money to inspect the backs of lorries on ferries and trains (of course illegal immigrants always arrive in BA F and go through Fast Track). The whole thing is so wrong.

I cannot criticise the BAA now because of course, they are Spanish
Old Jul 23, 2013, 8:51 am

Firstly, very impressed by the quick responses and the quality of them!

Secondly, thanks for spotting my typo; trying to complete my work handover for my holiday and at the same time worrying about whether I'll make my connection is not a great combo.

We will not re-book this flight - sounds like it is manageable and the worse that can happened is that BA will put us on the next available flight (free of charge).

Thanks for your advice and help.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Will T-5 in transit security let me take duty free liquor bought in BOS in a sealed duty free bag thru security for my onward journey without going through baggage claim and re-pack/checking my luggage?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 3:13 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nologic
Will T-5 in transit security let me take duty free liquor bought in BOS in a sealed duty free bag thru security for my onward journey without going through baggage claim and re-pack/checking my luggage?
They will allow it through security if the bag's seal is intact. Make sure to remove the bag from your suitcase and place it in a tray before sending it through the x-ray machine. LHR screeners sometimes inspect the bag and the enclosed receipt before allowing it to pass through the machine.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:58 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AC Aéroplan, Accor ALL
To add to my previous comments: I ironically (not at all funny) missed a T5 flight after posting on this thread. I had built in 1hr and was flying up front. Whilst rebooking I asked staff there the question directly: They said C/F passengers should allow minimum 90 minutes at T5. They said C/F passengers routinely miss flights in Fast Track security and this has brought some of them to at times to use career-threatening discretion rebooking some fares.

The thought of adding a runway at this airport (and more passengers) terrifies me. Boris Johnson's idea makes sense to me - that is if it were flawlessly designed, and with a sensible transport link. But if they leave it to BAA again, it would be like YMX.

Last edited by Action Man; Jul 24, 2013 at 1:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.