Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Requirement to present credit card at checkin - what if it's expired?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, PPL/IR

Hi, just booked some flights for next year and as I was entering the payment details it occurred to me that the card I used will have expired by then.

Presume they will accept the renewed card, even if the number has changed?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
In those circumstances, I've simply explained it's expired, and presented my latest card. Never ever had a problem with them not accepting this.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At worst they will have to make a short call to the ticket desk and you'll be good to travel.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by crowe
Hi, just booked some flights for next year and as I was entering the payment details it occurred to me that the card I used will have expired by then.

Presume they will accept the renewed card, even if the number has changed?
Could you not take your expired card as the number on it will correspond to the booking?

I have done this a couple of times just in case I am asked to produce the card used to pay for the trip.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:08 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Does anybody actually ever get asked to show their card? Never happened to me.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:12 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Does anybody actually ever get asked to show their card? Never happened to me.
It used to happen to me quite a lot when the whole family was blue. Now that we're a combination of Silvers and Bronzes, and book with the BA Amex with the SafeKey, I haven't had it happen for years.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:40 am

I get the notice quite a lot on the website, but hardly ever do the check in staff ask for it. On the occasions the card has expired I just show them the new one.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 1:41 am

I've never been asked for my card.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:08 am

Programs: BA, KL, DL
My sister flew MAD-LHR two years ago, and had bought the ticket herself with her own debit card. Two weeks before flying, she realised she'd have excess luggage so I logged into her booking and prepaid for an extra checked suitcase with my own credit card.

When she tried to check-in at MAD, they wouldn't issue any boarding pass until she could provide the credit card used to prepay for the extra suitcase. She tried to phone me to confirm the number, but alas I was halfway across the Atlantic on a B747.

She was denied boarding, and ended up going across to T1 and booking a cash ticket with Air Europa to LGW for £150 (extremely reasonable for a walk-up ticket!) BA were very nice about it afterwards though and gave plentiful compensation once we threatened to take them to court.

I understand the need for verification due to fraud, but sometimes it really goes too far.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:24 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
It happens when ticket and card are in different names and the ticket was booked by phone rather than online. My son (18+) was asked to show my card when checking in for his flight. Luckily, I was still at the airport and it was no problem. I commented that he would be checking in for the return without me and was told to always make a point of telling reservations in advance when that might happen.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, PPL/IR
Thanks - I've been asked once or twice, will probably take the old card along just in case.

Cheers
Old Jul 8, 2013, 3:15 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
It seems like a strange requirement.

What happens if you make a booking in Jan, for a flight in Nov, and somewhere inbetween times you've cancelled the card and cut it up and disposed of it as per instructions ?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 3:27 am

Programs: BA, KL, DL
Originally Posted by tangey
It seems like a strange requirement.

What happens if you make a booking in Jan, for a flight in Nov, and somewhere inbetween times you've cancelled the card and cut it up and disposed of it as per instructions ?
Good luck ever flying Qatar Airways if you've lost/changed/cancelled a credit card since the booking. I always book QR through Expedia now to avoid the credit card requirement - all passengers with flights booked through their website MUST present the credit card at check-in, no exceptions.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 3:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG DIamond
Had this exact situation a couple of years back, at Copenhagen I think.

Card expired between booking and the day of the flight (good few months gap), and to my suprise the check in agent insisted I should have kept the old card and brought it with me. Managed to sort it another way of course, and in fact that's the only flight I've EVER been asked to present my credit card at check in.

Booking a flight last week though I did notice it says in the small print you need to have the card used to book to present at check in.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 3:30 am

Programs: BA Silver
I booked my 241 using the BA Amex card but have since canceled it because I want the 6 month buffer to start again. So there is no valid card and the canceled one has been cut up. I don't know how they could refuse boarding if you no longer have the card, seems a very strange requirement for validation that can easily be circumvented

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.