Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MMB Cash Upgrade - Bait and Switch

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
MMB Cash Upgrade - Bait and Switch

EWR-LHR November 2013.

Just been offered a £445 upgrade from WTP to CW (return leg only) and when I went to book it, the price mysteriously rose to £911.

Went back to MMB, still quoted £445.

Tried upgrading both segments, it quoted me about £890, with a message to save "save £100" by upgrading both together, on click through this raised to £1,703.

Anyone else encountered this?
Old Jun 30, 2013, 1:20 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Some kind of a system error.

I've seen it before too. Someone here has posted possible causes of it, but I have not been able to search for it successfully. Maybe you'll have a better luck.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:09 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, Gulf Air Silver, Aegean Gold, M&M FQTV, Air Malta Diamond
Thanks LTN Phobia, I have now managed to speak to BAEC and got the offhand reply that it is a known systems glitch and that's the way it is. No supervisor was available to discuss it.

So I've opened a complaint with the Advertising Standards Authority.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:52 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Final 3 Greens
Thanks LTN Phobia, I have now managed to speak to BAEC and got the offhand reply that it is a known systems glitch and that's the way it is. No supervisor was available to discuss it.

Be interested to see what response you get from them. The ASA covers the following:
  • Magazine and newspaper advertisements
  • Radio and TV commercials (not programmes or programme sponsorship)
  • Television Shopping Channels
  • Advertisements on the Internet, including:
  • banner and display ads
  • paid-for (sponsored) search
  • Marketing on companies’ own websites and in other space they control like social networking sites Twitter and Facebook
  • Commercial e-mail and SMS text message ads
  • Posters on legitimate poster sites (not fly posters)
  • Leaflets and brochures
  • Cinema commercials
  • Direct mail (advertising sent through the post and addressed to you personally)
  • Door drops and circulars (advertising posted through the letter box without your name on)
  • Ads on CD ROMs, DVD and video, and faxes
  • Sales promotions, such as special offers, prize draws and competitions wherever they appear.

Where would MMB fit into that? Would this be more like something that is mis-priced where they have the right not to honour it?
Old Jun 30, 2013, 3:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dddc
Be interested to see what response you get from them. The ASA covers the following:
  • Magazine and newspaper advertisements
  • Radio and TV commercials (not programmes or programme sponsorship)
  • Television Shopping Channels
  • Advertisements on the Internet, including:
  • banner and display ads
  • paid-for (sponsored) search
  • Marketing on companies’ own websites and in other space they control like social networking sites Twitter and Facebook
  • Commercial e-mail and SMS text message ads
  • Posters on legitimate poster sites (not fly posters)
  • Leaflets and brochures
  • Cinema commercials
  • Direct mail (advertising sent through the post and addressed to you personally)
  • Door drops and circulars (advertising posted through the letter box without your name on)
  • Ads on CD ROMs, DVD and video, and faxes
  • Sales promotions, such as special offers, prize draws and competitions wherever they appear.

Where would MMB fit into that? Would this be more like something that is mis-priced where they have the right not to honour it?
I'd say "•Advertisements on the Internet, including: •banner and display ads", but the ASA will decide if it is covered or not.

AFAIK, BA are not obliged to honour the price, as offer and acceptance has not taken place, so my complaint is limited to the advertising of prices that the company knows are not bookable.

Two different matters.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 3:11 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
It has been reported on here a fair few times on the past, over a few years and if BA admit they know about it, they reall should have done something by now
Old Jun 30, 2013, 3:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Overall, a productive Sunday morning then
Old Jun 30, 2013, 3:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
Overall, a productive Sunday morning then
And your point is?

Do you find it acceptable for a business to offer a price when it is not available?
Old Jun 30, 2013, 3:39 am

Programs: MUCCI
I'd say "•Advertisements on the Internet, including: •banner and display ads", but the ASA will decide if it is covered or not.
I suspect you'll find the answer is the latter.... i.e. not.

You could, however, try the Office of Fair Trading, but I suspect you'll be wasting both your and their time (see my conclusion paragraph below).

AFAIK, BA are not obliged to honour the price, as offer and acceptance has not taken place, so my complaint is limited to the advertising of prices that the company knows are not bookable.
You need to brush up on the fundamentals of contract law surrounding invitation to treat,offer and acceptance. Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain v Boots Cash Chemists (Southern) Ltd [1953] EWCA Civ 6 for example....

I suspect you are making mountains out of a molehill otherwise known as a system glitch. Call back during the week and you'll probably have a better chance of speaking to a supervisor.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 3:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

And your point is?

Do you find it acceptable for a business to offer a price when it is not available?
No I don't but then it is a known glitch. I understand the desire for instant gratification which was somewhat thwarted as no supervisors were available at the time of your call to discuss this issue with you. It is the weekend though.

So rather than wait until tomorrow to call back, or email BA Customer Relations, we have the following knee jerk response...
Marjorie, fetch the Basildon Bond and dial that rolodex to A for ASA
Old Jun 30, 2013, 3:48 am

True, but would anyone like to hazard a guess as to how long the MFU flights posting as ineligible has been going on for, and how many TPs and miles BA have saved as a result of people not noticing?
Old Jun 30, 2013, 3:50 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by 710 77345
True, but would anyone like to hazard a guess as to how long the MFU flights posting as ineligible has been going on for, and how many TPs and miles BA have saved as a result of people not noticing?
Pretty sure it was going when I started on here in 2004. It has been stated 'officially' a number of times that it was being worked on.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 3:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Short Final
I suspect you'll find the answer is the latter.... i.e. not.

You could, however, try the Office of Fair Trading, but I suspect you'll be wasting both your and their time (see my conclusion paragraph below).

You need to brush up on the fundamentals of contract law surrounding invitation to treat,offer and acceptance. Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain v Boots Cash Chemists (Southern) Ltd [1953] EWCA Civ 6 for example....

I suspect you are making mountains out of a molehill otherwise known as a system glitch. Call back during the week and you'll probably have a better chance of speaking to a supervisor.
What an arrogant post; BA did not make an invitation to treat for the advertised price and there was no offer or acceptance.

I'm happy to wait and see what the ASA comes back with. Two other posters have already said there is a history of this type of incident and if there is, then it isn't a glitch, is it? (Maybe you should brush up on IT jargon?)
Old Jun 30, 2013, 3:55 am

Programs: MUCCI
What an arrogant post; BA did not make an invitation to treat for the advertised price and there was no offer or acceptance.
Hmmm.........

Just been offered a £445 upgrade from WTP to CW (return leg only) and when I went to book it, the price mysteriously rose to £911.
From your story, BA appear to have displayed an invitation to treat at £445. When you went to book it, you were made an offer of £911, no acceptance occured because you declined to continue with the transaction.

Put away the book of conspiracy stories because I suspect you'll be truthfully told it was a system glitch rather than finding you've uncovered a "bait and switch" scam.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 3:56 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
No I don't but then it is a known glitch. I understand the desire for instant gratification which was somewhat thwarted as no supervisors were available at the time of your call to discuss this issue with you. It is the weekend though.

So rather than wait until tomorrow to call back, or email BA Customer Relations, we have the following knee jerk response...
Marjorie, fetch the Basildon Bond and dial that rolodex to A for ASA
Prospero, a glitch is a temporary event. It does not go on for several years, which is what I am reading from other posters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.