NF on BA118?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lowly Blue
NF on BA118?

Looking here:

http://ftdashboard.net/flight/ba118.htm

It seems that about half the time the Friday flight is equipped with NF. However these are supposed to be 3-class flights, I.e. no first class. I assume the aircraft are being swapped out for some reason, but what happens on board in this case? Do they stick GCH etc in the front section?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
If business class is full, they will open up the first cabin and offer Club World service.

Usually those with the highest status will get priority for these seats.

If there's enough seats in the business cabin, it's highly unlikely they'll open up first.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue
NF on BA118?

My experience in such a situation is that at T-24 when OLCI opens then it is first come first served as far as getting the F cabin seats assigned for CW pax.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

OLCI it is then
Old Jun 26, 2013, 2:28 am

Programs: Mucci! (and BA Gold, HH Dia etc.)

If its a 3 class flight, why would BA routinely put a 4 class NF aircraft on the route when there are 4 class routes where F is being sold and where its a daily lottery whether you get OF or NF???

Don't get me wrong - if the OP gets lucky and gets NF this way on a CW ticket, I'm pleased for him/her (indeed, I've dropped lucky like that too on a SAN flight) but what seeems strange to me is that a 4 class a/c could routinely be allocated to the same 3 class route with such regularity. Moreover, I'd not picked up on this myself before and now I' wondering how many more anomolous situations like this get timetabled week in, week out. A little analysis and Gold and silvers could be routinely travelling New First on a CW ticket if they're prepared to check-in early whilst paying F passengers can't be sure which product they'll get on their flight. @:-)
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by chad3

If its a 3 class flight, why would BA routinely put a 4 class NF aircraft on the route when there are 4 class routes where F is being sold and where its a daily lottery whether you get OF or NF???
All about positioning of aircraft, particularly when some are in for maintenance. If the aircraft is halfway around the world, it can't operate the flight.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:15 am
Original Poster

I just UuA'd on BA118 for Friday. The seat map already shows that it's a 4-class 777 so fingers crossed I will be up front. Must set a reminder to check in at 6:30am on Thursday...
Old Jul 3, 2013, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Qwest01 was right - just tried OLCI at T-24 hours on the dot. All seats in the first class section showed as available. Woohoo!

However when I tried to choose one it said "because you have an infant on your booking we have to ensure that your seat is suitable for infants. Therefore you can not change your assigned seat. Please contact the Executive Club if you wish to change your seat." Hmm, not a problem, I can call them.... However they said that after check-in opens it is not possible for them to change seats, only the check-in counter.

So... If there are still seats free in ~20 hours when I go to check in, then I can change. Unlikely I think. It's a shame... Not sure I can see a reason for that rule! Can't complain too much as I am getting the seat I paid for, but I am disappointed that I couldn't try out NF for the first time.

Don't they know who I am?
Old Jul 21, 2013, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Update: I asked at the airport and they put us in row 1. The NF seats are very good but the cabin staff were awful...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.