Are taxes recalculated for avios changes?

Old Jun 21, 13, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat

I booked and flew a UK-USA ticket a week back. Called up to change my return and had to pay an extra 50 in taxes + change fees.

Do they calculate taxes again for a date change once outbound has been flown?

On a iPhone so couldn't do a thorough search but nothing came up.
Old Jun 22, 13, 1:14 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL

May be that the taxes have gone up since you booked it i.e. they increased in April. When you are re-ticketed, the higher taxes apply.
Old Jun 22, 13, 2:56 am

I upgrade WT to WTP last week on the return portion of a trip to Dubai and was charged £10 in tax plus the avios.
Old Jun 22, 13, 3:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Taxes (and YQ) are recalculated on any change made to a booking at the passenger's request (except on those special POUG or special offer airport upgrades).
Old Jun 22, 13, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

But have taxes really gone up by 50 in the last 2 weeks. I just don't trust this regional call centre as they quoted me two sets of taxes one for USA-LHR segment and another for the LHR -Ncl segment. They also insisted on charging me miles for the domestic portion separately.
Old Jun 22, 13, 9:53 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
What was the actual change you made? Did it create a stopover?
Old Jun 22, 13, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Originally Posted by onlysuites View Post
But have taxes really gone up by 50 in the last 2 weeks. I just don't trust this regional call centre as they quoted me two sets of taxes one for USA-LHR segment and another for the LHR -Ncl segment. They also insisted on charging me miles for the domestic portion separately.
APD went up in April by a couple of quid but that dosen't apply to flights into the UK so you are clear on that front. In anycase the April increase was announced well in advance so BA should have updated it's system for that.

You should not have been charged APD on your LHR-NCL flight as it would be regarded as connecting.

My guess is that the extra 'tax' was the BA YQ which as we all know is not a tax at all.
Old Jun 22, 13, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
What was the actual change you made? Did it create a stopover?
No. But it has me landing at 7am in LGW and getting the next available domestic flight at 1pm from LHR. But the airport change was always there but the time difference between flights was 4hrs before.
Old Jun 22, 13, 10:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by onlysuites View Post
They also insisted on charging me miles for the domestic portion separately.
This is the odd bit for me, normally it's no extra. Was it fully Avios before and after? If so it still doesn't make sense. Is this a UUA booking from a cash fare perhaps?
Old Jun 22, 13, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
This is the odd bit for me, normally it's no extra. Was it fully Avios before and after? If so it still doesn't make sense. Is this a UUA booking from a cash fare perhaps?
Yeah fully Avios before and after as it was just ticketed 2 weeks back. No cash fare.... Fully Avios redemeption.

What doesn't make sense to me is that I haven't heard of any YQ's going up in the last week and then they charging me extra 50 now especially after they tried their level best to charge me two sets of YQ's the last time when I made the booking.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: