Wiki Posts
Search

TPA - What a joy to travel through

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2013, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
TPA - What a joy to travel through

Yesterday saw us returning from a couple of weeks family holiday in Florida and we returned through TPA.

We had arrived fairly early and as such the check in desks were not open, although there was a lady getting things ready for the two BA flights which depart TPA (LGW and DFW)

I explained that on a recent transit through the US one of my cases had been opened by a TSA and the lock not reset, leaving it insecure as it would open with any combination.

She was very pleasant and pointed me in the direction of a staff security area where there should be a TSA present.

I was a bit apprehensive as we've all heard stories of security agents being above their station.

I approached and explained the situation to the TSA who couldn't have been more helpful. He went off to get a set of keys and duly reset my lock wishing me a safe onward journey.

We were travelling with our six month old daughter and really didn't know what to expect at the security screening.

We had packed sterilised bottles with water and separate formula in powder form and also a couple of pre-mixed Aptimil cartons.

The guys at security were fantastic. They gave us the option of opening the cartons and a bottle or two to taste test them, although they could see that would be an inconvenience or for one of us to have a pat down and to do a manual search of our bags. We opted for the second option.

The two gentlemen couldn't have been more helpful and professional. We thanked them as we left and one of them said, "we can see this is not your first time to the US and hopefully wont be your last, have a great day"

Then, when we entered the lounge, who should greet us but the lady who was preparing the check in area. "Hi again!" she yelled. I've reserved you an area just over here for you all. It's quiet and near to the ladies restroom which has baby changing facilities.

It's no wonder that TPA is voted one of the top 3 airports in the US

http://www.tampaairport.com/about/me...st-airport.pdf

It's just a shame that what started off to be an excellent homeward journey ended up being the worst CW flight I have ever experience.

We were blessed with a couple of crew that genuinely didn't seem to know the front of the plane from the back.

Mucked up food orders, drink orders, duty free orders. It was a complete an utter shambles, oh and don't get me started on the baggage handlers at Gatwick.

Last edited by mdj1; Jun 18, 2013 at 5:08 pm
Old Jun 18, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Totally agree with your comments re Tampa. Having previously flown into MIA, MCO and TPA (last year), I was pleasantly surprised how relaxed it was compared to the other Florida airports, very friendly and helpful. ^
Old Jun 18, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mike&co
Totally agree with your comments re Tampa. Having previously flown into MIA, MCO and TPA (last year), I was pleasantly surprised how relaxed it was compared to the other Florida airports, very friendly and helpful. ^
Old Jun 18, 2013, 8:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mdj1
We had arrived fairly early and as such the check in desks were not open, although there was a lady getting things ready for the two BA flights which depart TPA (LGW and DFW)
BA flies TPA-DFW?
Old Jun 18, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
If only BA reinstated MAN-LGW then I'd definitely use TPA in preference to MIA. Problem is the hassle saved at TPA is more than matched by the hassle gained transferring from LHR to and from LGW.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:40 am
Original Poster

That's what the board said. I did find it a bit strange.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:43 am
Original Poster

http://info.flightmapper.net/route/B...ays_BA_TPA_DFW

Although I find it strange that this was a BA flight at BA check in and not an AA flight.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Blueboy, do BA a fly MAN > DFW
Old Jun 19, 2013, 7:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
That's what the board said. I did find it a bit strange.
It would have been the AA flight but the board rotates through the AA flight number and then to the codeshares. It would have been listed as a BA codeshare.

We arrived back into Tampa the day you left and the opposite end of Tampa (immigration) is a pleasure too compared with the likes of MIA and others.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Blueboy, do BA a fly MAN > DFW
If we're talking direct flights then only LHR - that's it!
Old Jun 19, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: I am a lowly ant
TPA is very good to fly in, handy for Busch Gardens and then you can move onto Orlando.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
TPA is a superb airport, however if you're flying domestic then SRQ (Sarasota) just down the road is even better.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
TPA and other Florida airport options

I like RSW (Fort Myers) the best. New pleasant small airport and the car rental lot is just outside the terminal entrance. Air Berlin flies there. FLL is not bad and just down the road from Miami. There's a Hyatt Place I much enjoyed staying in, right opposite the entrance to SRQ. Until they told me the occasional baby crocodile has wandered into their pool, and best not to walk on the grass near the shrubs as there might be a snake...I guess that's Florida, but until then I had been blissfully unaware.

I have still to fly through TPA but everyone I've met likes it. I wish BA flew there from LHR and not LGW....
Old Jun 20, 2013, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Blue forever!
We fly to TPA once a year, usually through DFW. Perhaps we can stop there the next time on our way home from London. We're getting tired of paying that LHR fuel, TSA tax. GTW's must be lower.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 3:30 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by h15t0r1an
Until they told me the occasional baby crocodile has wandered into their pool...
More likely to be a baby alligator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.