Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Tier Points Question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2013, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Cathay Tier Points Question

Greetings all.

I am going to SYD with CX in August (the reason for CX rather than BA is for about the same amount of money one can get reasonable flexibility on CX abnd none on BA). I just wanted to check the tier point position.

Both flights are via HKG with transfers, not stopovers. I am assuming that one gets 140 TPs times 2, in each direction, rather than treating it as one flight, i.e. 240 points, instead of 280?

You might think I am being a bit picky, but I need points this year Thanks for hearing from anyone who knows...
Old Jun 17, 2013, 6:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes you should get 2 lots of 140. The easiest way to look at it is if you have to get off the aircraft and get another boarding pass at the gate then you will get 2 lots of TPs. If you can get off the aircraft but still retain your boarding pass (e.g. at SIN on LON-SYD) then it's one set of TPs, though in the SIN case it's the higher amount. If you switched service at SIN you'd end up with 2 boarding passes and 2 sets of TPs. In your case it's 2 totally different aircraft anyway.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Quick question on this as I never understand completely from the status forums - I might need to go to SIN with work from DXB. Flights from DXB to SIN are relatively cheap so was thinking of going CX via HKG as business flights are pretty cheap (I know it is a convoluted route but will help me get tier points for silver before my year expires). Do I just book a flight on CX website and add my BAEC number somewhere to ensure I get tier points? Is it that simple or do I need to be aware of anything, or am I missing the point in that it needs to be a codeshare or something else that would spoil my plan.

Excuse my ignorance but it seems to good to be true?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 6:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bogglesuk
Excuse my ignorance but it seems to good to be true?
This is the whole point of oneworld, I would have thought.

So long as your BA account goes on the booking - and it doesn't matter which channel it is, with the exception of some consolidator travel agents - you will get the TPs. So you can book with Cathay, or BA or indeed QF. If all else fails give your BA card over as you check in. The only thing to watch is that you don't travel on EK metal in all of this. No BA TPs can come from that route unless it's an irrop.

Loads of other cheaps of doing it incidentally, including Royal Jordanian and MAS.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks. I assumed that was the point, but I guess it just seems weird to be able to travel 90% on one airline but use the lounge etc of another 90% of the time but hey-ho.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver)
I'm a bit curious here. I am in a similar position looking at LHR to PER options. On the BA.com website the Avios/tier point calculator keeps showing 0 for tier points and Avios if I say I am travelling via CX. Is this just a 'feature' of the Avios calculator?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yep - put each leg in separately
Old Jun 17, 2013, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver)
Thanks, and an impressive response time.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Expatal
I'm a bit curious here. I am in a similar position looking at LHR to PER options. On the BA.com website the Avios/tier point calculator keeps showing 0 for tier points and Avios if I say I am travelling via CX. Is this just a 'feature' of the Avios calculator?
Yep, and as explained on the calculator page:
Enter your trip according to the flights shown on your itinerary. For example for Edinburgh to JFK via London, enter Edinburgh to London then London to JFK.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Thanks very much re CX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.