Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Should I change my BA address from UK to South America?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2013, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, BA silver

I'm moving from the UK to Argentina. I'm currently Gold through 3/14, probably won't requalify for Gold but I'll have at least some status through 3/16.

Should I update my Exec Club address to my new address in Argentina? (I could change it to some friend's address in the UK). It seems having a UK address has some definite advantages, not least of them a better call center.
Would the UK Gold/Silver line refuse to talk to me if I'm registered overseas? and even if I'm registered in the UK, would they be reluctant to help for flights out of EZE?

There's also the issue of getting the new membership kit next year, but I have never had the need to use my physical Silver/Gold card, and if a friend receives the letter in the UK they can forward it to me so I'd still get it, albeit a bit later.

I'm leaning towards keeping my Exec Club address in the UK, but any advice is welcome.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
One thing to consider is if you're going to be sending any time in the UK will you be using a BA Amex or Tesco? You need to be a UK resident to earn Avios through these.

Otherwise it's hard to say. You get a better call centre being UK based but being in Argentina you might get offers more local to you - HIDDY probably can confirm if BA has offers for their Argentine members.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:10 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by layz
One thing to consider is if you're going to be sending any time in the UK will you be using a BA Amex or Tesco? You need to be a UK resident to earn Avios through these.

Otherwise it's hard to say. You get a better call centre being UK based but being in Argentina you might get offers more local to you - HIDDY probably can confirm if BA has offers for their Argentine members.
I think HIDDY has previously confirmed there aren't any good offers for Argentine residents!

tb
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The "funny" thing is that up to a couple of years ago when qualification thresholds were lower in continental Europe than in the UK, people were fearing that some people who were really UK resident would become 'Euro cheats' (hate the word) by pretending to be resident in another European country, now that the thresholds are the same everywhere but there are multiple advantages in being registered in the UK (Gold line, 24 hour phone line, BA Amex card with GUF2, transfer of tescos points into avios and more) people might start fearing that people will become 'British cheats' (I will equally hate the word), pretending to be/still be UK residents when they are in fact based abroad!

Also to answer your first question, yes, if you move your account to another country, you won't be able to use the Gold line, silver line, or UK EC service centre in general. Only the call centre in charge of Argentina will be able to book your award tickets, apply your MFUs etc when you cannot do it online.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jun 15, 2013 at 4:37 am
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex BA Premium Plus
You're moving to Argentina? Really?

I don't think it's a good idea to move your BAEC account to Argentina, just keep it in the UK and use the miles and status while last.
Based in Argentina, it's probably much better to join the LanPass program (I don't know if they do status matches, you could ask), because Lan flies domestically (as long as the government let them), regional and international all around South and North America, and some destinations in Europe. But is still in One World, so you can redeem your km (yes, we use kilometers down there), with other OW airlines, and there are a few credit card programs that

Check this blog out, is the roughly equivalent of Raffles', but for Argentina: http://www.sirchandler.com.ar/. It's in Spanish, but if you're planning to move to Argentina it shouldn't be a problem.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
The "funny" thing is that up to a couple of years ago when qualification thresholds were lower in continental Europe than in the UK, people were fearing that some people who were really UK resident would become 'Euro cheats' (hate the word) by pretending to be resident in another European country, now that the thresholds are the same everywhere but there are multiple advantages in being registered in the UK (Gold line, 24 hour phone line, BA Amex card with GUF2, transfer of tescos points into avios and more) people might start fearing that people will become 'British cheats' (I will equally hate the word), pretending to be/still be UK residents when they are in fact based abroad!

You jest... but as someone who splits time between Spain and the UK (when not on TP run!), I have every intention of becoming a "Brit cheat" once the grandfathering of threshold levels finally comes to an end.

As you say, avoiding Bremen's appalling service and earning via Tesco is well worth having a shiny card sent to a UK address rather than a foreign one...
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by craigthemif
You jest... but as someone who splits time between Spain and the UK (when not on TP run!), I have every intention of becoming a "Brit cheat" once the grandfathering of threshold levels finally comes to an end.

As you say, avoiding Bremen's appalling service and earning via Tesco is well worth having a shiny card sent to a UK address rather than a foreign one...
Only half jest. I'm also splitting my time and could equally come to the very same conclusion for all the obvious reasons.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 4:53 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
If you are registered in South America, the call center is in the USA I think, not Bremen. And you don't get any special offers, so you can remain with an UK address.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 6:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by neuromancer
If you are registered in South America, the call center is in the USA I think, not Bremen. And you don't get any special offers, so you can remain with an UK address.
It is the US although I'm sure I've been put through to Bremen as well judging by their accents. I always choose the English version and have found both centres to be fast and reliable.
One of the pluses of keeping it in the UK would be the BAEC call centre hours. Here they operate Mon-Fri only whereas in the UK they're open 7 days.

Good to have another member based down here. ^
Old Jun 15, 2013, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback! ^

It seems like it's a no brainer to keep the UK address. The gold call centre has been a real lifesaver on numerous occasions.

Originally Posted by Lovecraft
You're moving to Argentina? Really?
Each individual's circumstances are different. I have some good reasons

Based in Argentina, it's probably much better to join the LanPass program (I don't know if they do status matches, you could ask), because Lan flies domestically (as long as the government let them), regional and international all around South and North America, and some destinations in Europe. But is still in One World, so you can redeem your km (yes, we use kilometers down there), with other OW airlines, and there are a few credit card programs that
I researched Lanpass and it simply doesn't seem like a good programme, at least with my flying patterns (in fact it only seems like a decent programme for someone who flies really a lot and only on expensive fares. Sort of how BAEC used to be, but worse). On the other hand, AAdvantage might be a good option.

Of course I'll fly Lan (not least on avios since domestic airfares are expen$ive) but there seems to be no meaningful advantage to being Lan elite over BA/AA elite for domestic and regional flights.

Check this blog out, is the roughly equivalent of Raffles', but for Argentina: http://www.sirchandler.com.ar/. It's in Spanish, but if you're planning to move to Argentina it shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks, that's useful ^
Old Jun 15, 2013, 8:18 am

I believe Aerolineas offers Skyteam status match - or comp with Amex Skyeam Paltinum issued in Argentina.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
I believe Aerolineas offers Skyteam status match - or comp with Amex Skyeam Paltinum issued in Argentina.
AR only status matches from certain programmes, and BAEC is not among them (incidentally the status match categories are ridiculous, they really match you to one level down from what you have). In any case AR is horrible, both the airline and the programme, and so is Skyteam in Latin America.

With Latam, Lan Argentina and being OW Emerald, OW is the only sensible option, even if I got a match to AR.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 1:56 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
Originally Posted by iwillflytheworld
AR only status matches from certain programmes, and BAEC is not among them (incidentally the status match categories are ridiculous, they really match you to one level down from what you have). In any case AR is horrible, both the airline and the programme, and so is Skyteam in Latin America.

With Latam, Lan Argentina and being OW Emerald, OW is the only sensible option, even if I got a match to AR.
I didn't believe everything I had heard about AR but after flying them for 3 hours in Club Economy (their domestic first class), and not receiving a drink (No water!!!!) I can say they are definitely the worst airline I've ever flown. Absolutely horrible. Their status is worthless as well. Stick to Oneworld!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.