T5 FIRST Lounge a Wreck

Old Jun 15, 2013, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by higham44
Hope they get it sorted by end of July as I am flying F to Vancouver. Better use CCR instead?
Definitely; the CCR is the real First lounge and is not full of pesky GCHs flying Y, W and J (see patvan's comments below)

Originally Posted by patvan
My opinion is that there are too many gold card holders. The lounge personnel cannot cope with the large crowd. BA might decide to introduce a max. capacity rule and introduce a line for Gold's waiting outside untill lounge space becomes available. GCH'S could also be motivated not to use the lounge by no longer providing champagne! Some already do not visit any longer the lounge after the food enhancements.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 5:39 am

I was in GF (&CCR) yesterday evening as well for a couple hours from about 8pm. It was clean and tidy while I was there, and I have to congratulate the staff attitude - always very friendly and helpful. The front desk even spotted that my checked luggage (first time in ages!) was wrongly routed, chased it down and fixed it.

The buffet really isn't much but we ordered a couple things off the menu and they were cooked and presented well.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by flibbly
Whilst I think upping the number of segments is an idea worthy of consideration, at 12 it would be possible to have all the TPs you nedd, all gained on BA metal, and still not qualify!
No need to fly any segments to qualify.All can be done on codeshares without setting foot on BA metal,or getting close to the UK,so that idea wont work.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by boadh398
Seriously - it may be a long time ago, but does anyone remember the T4 First Lounge (downstairs, so CCR was full width, Business lounge was full width, but GCH First Lounge was only half the width of the others to accomodate the massage rooms).

On a Friday night, and undoubtedly at other times, it was completely full and you couldn't get a seat, had to queue for food (nothing like the new T5 GF lounge) and there was very little cooked to order.

Remember this is only 5 years ago.....

Do you mean the OLD terminal? The one were the CCR was a true CCR?
Old Jun 15, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: BA-GGL, SU-G Agean, G,, Hhonours D, Starwood G, IHG G,
Originally Posted by Action Man
Remember though that the T4 lounge downstairs actually, back in the day, used to be the "Executive Club Lounge" (First/Concorde as you walked in over the BA arms, with the dragon often standing out front, and Club upstairs). It was for Silver/Gold but Executive Club card holders only (i.e. NO OneWorld). It was rarely too busy like that. This was built before all this Emerald/Sapphire stuff sent numbers so far out of control.

Considering T5 was built with a blank sheet of paper, a fresh start, it makes me wonder why some of the good things about the T4 facilities managed not to get integrated into the new terminal.
That idea would be an epic fail, as people could easily switch to an alternative OW partner and still qualify and fill up the lounge.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 7:42 am

I was in GF yesterday between 14:00 and 15:30. I was on the terraces. Tables looked very clean then I noticed nobody was eating or ordering food, just drinking!

Palmer
Old Jun 15, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: MUCCI :D, BA Lifetime Gold, JJC (1980 the Leo Budd years) Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Yahillwe
Do you mean the OLD terminal? The one were the CCR was a true CCR?
Yes, ma chere Yahillwe, the good old T4 CCR where one could board the rocket from the lounge - those were the good old days and, since the beginning of the 21st century, things have been going down hill ever so fast.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by Palmer
I was in GF yesterday between 14:00 and 15:30. I was on the terraces. Tables looked very clean then I noticed nobody was eating or ordering food, just drinking!

Palmer
Can you imagine the bonus payment that will be forthcoming to the corporate genius who came up with the afternoon tea?
Old Jun 15, 2013, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by boadh398
Yes, ma chere Yahillwe, the good old T4 CCR where one could board the rocket from the lounge - those were the good old days and, since the beginning of the 21st century, things have been going down hill ever so fast.
Totally agree. I remember the good old days, where one boards the plane from the small door on the right hand side of the lounge, by the food area.

And boad, it seems that you and I are in the same cities and at times same seats how come we haven't met for coffee/tea?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AC Aéroplan, Accor ALL
My real fear is that BA is chasing the wrong target market for its lounges. It would be interesting to know on a given day how many in the F lounge are actually ticketed in economy.

I pay for the premium cabins in which I travel and I do not visit the lounge for the free booze nor (especially now) the food. Yes, absolutely: decent drink should be there, as should food appropriate to the time of day. But I'm not going to eat a dodgy buffet curry that I'd never eat at home, just because it's there for free.

I rate the business centre the most useful feature of the F lounge. Aside from the slow internet it's like an office. The quality drink (Grey Goose, JWBL etc.) is next on the list, although there are some dodgy spirits alongside them, probably for the Americans (jokes!). The food is unquestionably terrible. I frankly have never had a decent meal in the CCR. And it's not as if I eat in Michelin-starred restaurants every day. If I get hungry in T5 you'll probably find me downstairs at Caviar House. Sometimes I can even pick-up the lounge WiFi signal there.

The danger is if they make the F lounges undesirable to my type of traveller they may assume because of low uptake that nobody actually wants food etc. - a totally wrong conclusion to draw, since if there was excellent food in there people would eat it. I hope this was not what happened to the former menu which was at its best very odd indeed and now, almost pointless.

Last edited by Action Man; Jun 17, 2013 at 2:03 am
Old Jun 17, 2013, 2:25 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I'm not going to eat a dodgy buffet curry that I'd never eat at home, just because it's there for free.
^^^
By far the most sensible thing I have read in the thousands (approx ) of posts about lounge food.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 2:42 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
My real fear is that BA is chasing the wrong target market for its lounges. It would be interesting to know on a given day how many in the F lounge are actually ticketed in economy.

I pay for the premium cabins in which I travel and I do not visit the lounge for the free booze nor (especially now) the food. Yes, absolutely: decent drink should be there, as should food appropriate to the time of day. But I'm not going to eat a dodgy buffet curry that I'd never eat at home, just because it's there for free.

I rate the business centre the most useful feature of the F lounge. Aside from the slow internet it's like an office. The quality drink (Grey Goose, JWBL etc.) is next on the list, although there are some dodgy spirits alongside them, probably for the Americans (jokes!). The food is unquestionably terrible. I frankly have never had a decent meal in the CCR. And it's not as if I eat in Michelin-starred restaurants every day. If I get hungry in T5 you'll probably find me downstairs at Caviar House. Sometimes I can even pick-up the lounge WiFi signal there.

The danger is if they make the F lounges undesirable to my type of traveller they may assume because of low uptake that nobody actually wants food etc. - a totally wrong conclusion to draw, since if there was excellent food in there people would eat it. I hope this was not what happened to the former menu which was at its best very odd indeed and now, almost pointless.
^^^
Exactly my point of view. When you go to eat at the Caviar House : take a glass of wine (or champagne) with you out of the lounge. I did it a week ago, I told BA staff at the entrance of the Flounge that I was going to eat something. They did not stop me nor asked any further question and I was welcome with my drink at the Caviar Bar. I had a decent meal before a short CE flight.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 2:49 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
T5 FIRST Lounge a Wreck

Last time I went I finished my drink and offered the glass to the attendant walking by (who had ample room to carry it) and he rudely told me to just put it down on a table.

That was after the only seat I could get was at the wine bar.

It's becoming a dump.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:08 pm

It was a bit of a wreck again today. Pots and plates and glasses left uncleared and nowhere to sit without an assortment of used crockery strewn here and there.

Only one bottle of champagne - Castlenau - at the Champagne Bar, no glasses, no ice, no tomato juice amongst other things etc. When I went to the hot food buffet, there wasn't any rice, no chilli, no salmon cakes, no greens; just pasta, potatoes, and the vegetable curry.

Palmer
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
I have two visits to GF this week, I seriously hope that the CastelNo acid is not the only champs of choice!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.