Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nice Airport - time to kill!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Hi we're travelling back from Nice to LHR at the end of August (18:45 flight) with two small children.

We need to check out of our apartment at 10am, and by the time we're at the airport it'll probably be getting on for lunch time (combination of bus ride, kids and the luggage that comes with them!) I've currently booked a day room at the Park Inn, but I'm now thinking for a matter of 3 hours whether this is worth it.

What time are we likely to be able to do the baggage drop, or is there a left luggage at the airport? I think there is a botanical garden type thing near the airport, is this walkable? Is there anywhere decent to eat?

We're just in ET so no lounge access (but I do have a lounge club card) so could consider lounge access.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:47 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
When I was last there a few months ago bag drop/checkin was only open 3hrs before the flight as is typical at most outstations.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
The BA check in counter is open pretty much from 5.30 am till late as there are flights going all the time, however I do not know if they would allow you to check in your bag for one of the late flights much in advance.

There are many things that you can do in or around the airport. If you want to stay on airport grounds, your options are relatively limited. There are restaurants in terminal 1 (where BA leaves from) but they are not particularly nice in my view, so if you want to lunch at the airport and have time anyway, I would take the free shuttle to terminal 2 (which goes every 10 minutes or so, a 5 minutes ride) and have lunch at the restaurant La Badiane on the top floor of terminal 2. It is not super cheap (think about €20 for a main although they may have a kids menu) but it is quite good and have beautiful views of the runway from the right tables.

There are several places near the airport. There is a big shopping centre (Cap 3000) just across the river from the airport but it is not necessarily easy to walk. Or there is a little harbour and promenade called Port St Laurent a few hundreds of metres further where there is the Holiday Inn, there is an old and a new part, the new part (with the Holiday Inn) has lots of nice restaurants, a public beach and two small private beaches with restaurants too. The botanical gardens you mentioned are called the Parc Phoenix. You can walk from the airport (about 10 minutes) either walking along the sea (but you have to walk on the cycle path) or going towards the Arenas (where the Park Inn is). Kids tend to like it but I don't know how long it would keep you/them busy.

I presume you can't or you would have chosen that, but obviously the best solution would be if the people who let you the apartment let you leave your luggage somewhere. Nice has much more to offer for a last day than any of those places depending on where you are and the airport being very close to the city, you would only need to leave a couple of hours before your flight and would be just fine.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jun 13, 2013 at 8:20 am Reason: Factual mistake on left luggage corrected thanks to SWISSBOBBY
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue

Please allow me to correct you, but Nice airport has a very excellent left luggage service...

This is available at the services centre
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:20 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
Please allow me to correct you, but Nice airport has a very excellent left luggage service...

This is available at the services centre
Many thanks, I was unaware of it (it's my home airport but I never needed it so I'll admit I had neve^r looked for it!) - duly corrected with renewed thanks!
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue

I have used the t1 one... The website says one exists in t2 but not sure where..
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:31 am

Programs: BA GGL
Phew, that's a relief! I read the title and thought maybe had finally gone one 'enhancement' too far

Last time I had a few hours to waste at Nice airport my girlfriend and I wandered back to the beach and rented a jet ski. It was a lot more fun than sitting in the shared lounge, or worse still, hanging around the airport. Perhaps not ideal with two small children, but you could head in the direction of the beach...
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:17 am
uk1
Suspended

You could reverse fit what we do when we arrive early.

For the price of your day room - take a taxi or wander to the Negresco and leave your luggage with the concierge and ask him to book a table for a last lunch. It might be less confusing if you told him you've just arrived in Nice rather han just leaving ... they are easily confused. We always use to have our first lunch there when the main restaurant was open for lunch (Chantaclier?) before checking in to another hotel or moving up the coast. Then wander out for a final wander along the prom and return around 2pm'ish for lunch. Then off to the airport?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by uk1
You could reverse fit what we do when we arrive early.

For the price of your day room - take a taxi or wander to the Negresco and leave your luggage with the concierge and ask him to book a table for a last lunch. It might be less confusing if you told him you've just arrived in Nice rather han just leaving ... they are easily confused. We always use to have our first lunch there when the main restaurant was open for lunch (Chantaclier?) before checking in to another hotel or moving up the coast. Then wander out for a final wander along the prom and return around 2pm'ish for lunch. Then off to the airport?
I'm not sure about 'the price of your day room' but it is nice advice and indeed, if your children are small, the Negresco's main restaurant (La Rotonde) is probably a better choice than the gastronomic restaurant (Le Chantecler) because it is designed like an old carousel with the horses even going up and down several times every hour. It is kitch but kids love it! And indeed, the walk on the Prom afterwards is a piece of all-round good advice. This being said, there are alternatives and in particular if you can't take the midday heat in August, the old town has plenty to offer too and similar arrangements can be made with hotels that surround it.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:55 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I'm not sure about 'the price of your day room' but it is nice advice and indeed, if your children are small, the Negresco's main restaurant (La Rotonde) is probably a better choice than the gastronomic restaurant (Le Chantecler) because it is designed like an old carousel with the horses even going up and down several times every hour. It is kitch but kids love it! And indeed, the walk on the Prom afterwards is a piece of all-round good advice. This being said, there are alternatives and in particular if you can't take the midday heat in August, the old town has plenty to offer too and similar arrangements can be made with hotels that surround it.
Yes sadly the main restaurant closed for weekday lunch some years go but as you say La Rotonde is perfect for the kids. and so would be taking them around the hotel to see all the art much of which seems intended for the kids ie all that paper mache stuff.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:19 am
Original Poster

La Rotunde sounds lovely, but we are travelling from Juan les Pins, so may just add an extracomplication. Any more suggestions much appreciated (Unfortunately leaving the cases at the apartment is not an option, I did pretty well to get a sat to tues 10 night stay to fit with the rfs availability!)

Last edited by trvllvr123; Jun 13, 2013 at 11:20 am Reason: spelling
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by uk1
much of which seems intended for the kids ie all that paper mache stuff.
Tssss Tssss... Hope Mrs Augier doesn't read FT or she'll probably be banning you for life!!
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:14 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Tssss Tssss... Hope Mrs Augier doesn't read FT or she'll probably be banning you for life!!
Probably. What an icon she is.

The walls in the hotel are the thinnest in Europe so she has been deprived of us for some time as hotel guests. However the restaurants with the set meal/wine options are a steal. They organised our last anniversary meal and they did a lovely job. They keep a record of everything you like ...... including favourite tables etc. A real oasis in a now somewhat sterile Nice.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:22 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by trvllvr123
La Rotunde sounds lovely, but we are travelling from Juan les Pins, so may just add an extracomplication. Any more suggestions much appreciated (Unfortunately leaving the cases at the apartment is not an option, I did pretty well to get a sat to tues 10 night stay to fit with the rfs availability!)
I presumed you were starting from Nice.

Does that mean you are getting the express airport bus?

If you are killing time the Nice slow bus which goes on into Nice is much cheaper ie 1 euro and that might make La Rotunde still viable or something else in Nice?

Or leave the luggage in at the airport for a few hours and take the bus into Nice.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 1:24 pm

Although Nice is apparently the second busiest airport in France, facilities are pretty thin. In T1 there's very little after passport control, just a newsagent, coffee shop and the lounge, which isn't great unfortunately.

Nice airport to the Cap 3000 shopping is about a 20-25 min walk. Cabs from the airport are eyewateringly expensive, so dropping the luggage and then cabbing away and back might not be cost-effective. The suggestion of Cap 3000/St Laurent du Var is prob the best suggestion, although you'll want to print yourself a walking map before you go, it's a less straightforward walk than you might imagine.

Cheers
Jimmy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.