Wiki Posts
Search

Maybe I'm just lucky (great service)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: OS FTL, BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
Maybe I'm just lucky (great service)

As the thread title states, maybe I'm just lucky. Maybe I have low expectations (I'd like to think I don't). Maybe the fact that I don't fly for work means I tend to be in a better mood on board and less likely to notice minor niggles. Maybe I'm not qualified to say anything given I barely manage 30 sectors a year on BA, and mostly fly short haul.

But constantly seeing complaint threads popping up, and now even seeing new FT members say things along the lines of "Oh, I was thinking about doing a 241 in F but everybody on here says it sucks", well I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. I have had five utterly brilliant BA flights over the last three weeks, with crew who were nothing short of stellar - charming, hard working, efficient and professional.

I did a CWLCY with crew led by an out of this world purser who made me feel so at home I considered simply refusing to disembark at JFK (but decided against it, I hear Gitmo isn't too cozy this time of the year). I had my first First, again with a brilliant crew who read my every wish from my eyes (and who I had to effectively beg to stop refilling my various glasses of alcoholic indulgences every other minute), and great food to boot. I had a couple of CE flights with really attentive service and very engaging SCCMs.

And then of course there was the defining moment of this year's flying, after the meal on my last ZRH flight:

CC: Can I get you anything else, Mr. csutter?
Me: I'll have a coffee, please.
CC: Are you sure you don't want anything else?
Me: You know what, I'll have a Baileys with that. I swear BA are trying to turn me into an alcoholic...
CC (without missing a beat): That'll be a large Baileys then, Mr. csutter?

Oh how they read my mind
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Good news post! When BA are good, they are great!
Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
That's so nice to hear.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I'm hardly the most frequent flyer either but I would share these sentiments. I rarely find a bad BA customer facing employee and often feel compelled to fill out an online well done when people go over and above. This equally applies to lounge staff and I'm yet to find a dragon (far from it in fact!).

That said, the sad fact in my experience is that the good service provided by BA's people is often when they're making up for something that's gone wrong procedurally or behind the scenes.

My experience of BA, especially in 2013, would be "great staff, not the best airline to deal with".
Old Sep 8, 2013, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by csutter
CC (without missing a beat): That'll be a large Baileys then, Mr. csutter?
The large brandy delivered on my SIN-LHR flight took the biscuit though ... it was outrageous and I actually sent it back to be returned only half full because part of the fun of a brandy is swilling it all around!

See my TR for more!
Old Sep 8, 2013, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
I've also rarely run into a bad BA employee. I have found one or two really bad examples, but for the most (99%) part they are excellent. Most problems that people on this forum gripe about has nothing to do with the customer-facing employees (well, except for lounge dragons) but rather for what BA as a company has decided. On-board and lounge catering, for example. Lack of award availability. Taxes & fees as a component of fares. Etc.

None of these an individual member of the crew can help with. On the whole, the crew are fantastic. But BA policy, on the whole, is in a downward spiral.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
The large brandy delivered on my SIN-LHR flight took the biscuit though ... it was outrageous and I actually sent it back to be returned only half full because part of the fun of a brandy is swilling it all around!

See my TR for more!
That's ridiculous.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom

See my TR for more!
Indeed! Leave the bottle, but don't serve a glass like that!
Old Sep 8, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
I agree with the OP. BA have always given great service whenever myself and the family have flown. And this was in Y, sorry, havent managed to experience J yet. Unlike Lufthansa which asked "Can you not read?" during a meal service when we asked what was in each, ok a menu was provided but that was just RUDE!

We've been Opup'd, given great service when IFE wasn't working, great drinks service, accommodated when sitting next to a "larger"passenger.

These are some of the reasons why we come back to BA each year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.