Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pay for Seat Selection on BA international business class?

Pay for Seat Selection on BA international business class?

Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

True but there really is no need to pay it.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
One exception is that if you are disabled, you can call customer services to book assistance at the airport and reserve a seat while you're doing it. You might have to give some details to substantiate your request and, of course, exit rows will be off limits.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:12 pm

Under this reasoning, why wont BA charge $950 for advanced seat reservation in business ?

According to the threads mentioned above, most of the cabin is occupied anyways by passengers with BA status who are exempt, and according to the same threads, there are numerous passengers without status who are really annoyed by the additional fee - so if BA charges more, those with status will feel a lot better for the money the benefit saved them, and those without status who wouldn't spend $200 to purchase the option, will anyways not spend $950 - so Its a win win
Old Aug 28, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jerrys
Under this reasoning, why wont BA charge $950 for advanced seat reservation in business ?

According to the threads mentioned above, most of the cabin is occupied anyways by passengers with BA status who are exempt, and according to the same threads, there are numerous passengers without status who are really annoyed by the additional fee - so if BA charges more, those with status will feel a lot better for the money the benefit saved them, and those without status who wouldn't spend $200 to purchase the option, will anyways not spend $950 - so Its a win win
Well, with that logic your $98 seat fee just got a lot cheaper. Reserve that seat!
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:00 pm

Funny But speaking of cheaper, i just found an even better solution.
Cancelled BA and booked on United - saved over $3,000 and got a great perk: free advanced seat reservation!!

Good night!

J.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by jerrys
Funny But speaking of cheaper, i just found an even better solution.
Cancelled BA and booked on United - saved over $3,000 and got a great perk: free advanced seat reservation!!
Can't argue with saving $3,000, but the UA option comes with a few hours in a domestic F seat, a connection and (if pmUA) arguably the worst fully-flat seat in the sky.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:48 pm

I wonder how much business BA loose because of passengers, like the OP, who get upset by these extra charges and either cancel or never return for a second booking. It is one of the things I would not expect when booking J.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 10:55 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
I agree shocking! Last year I had the same surprise ex SEA-LHR.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
One might also well argue that it is better to charge $7000 so that only those that are that desperate to get a seat assignment have to pay $7200. Also, those with status that want seat assignments are saving $200 since they can get the assignment free of charge

Charge $7200 - all have to pay it
Charge $7000 without assignment, then can save $200
You forgot charging for food:
Charge $7000 - all have to pay it
Charge $6800 without food, then can save $200.

And so on.

Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
I wonder how much business BA loose because of passengers, like the OP, who get upset by these extra charges and either cancel or never return for a second booking. It is one of the things I would not expect when booking J.
Yes, I have business associates that will avoid BA after their first shock at flying BA--upon my recommendation . Their flight was fine, but the lingering anger around the fee (which the business did not reimburse) prevented them from enjoying it and ended up never booking BA again (they look at me weird when I visit them and ask whom I flew--BA; have to proceed to remind them that as an elite I am not subject to the silly fee).

In many markets you will find the following:
Charge $7000 on BA - and have to pay $200, often not reimbursable, for seat assignment or risk being next to galley
Charge $7000 on another airline - and get seat assignment
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
I have often wondered if the BA accountants just see extra $$$ every time someone reserves a seat and don't really consider the lost revenue from such a petty fee. It's $100 to reserve a seat, at ~$5k a pop HKG-LHR all it takes is 1 in 50 passengers to avoid them in future. I think currently the fleet is so stretched they know if a passenger takes their business elsewhere it wont be long before someone else replaces them.

Almost no-one I know uses BA back to the UK and the seat fee is always one of the things mentioned when asked why.

Last edited by 1010101; Aug 29, 2013 at 1:22 am
Old Aug 29, 2013, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by phol
I have often wondered if the BA accountants just see extra $$$ every time someone reserves a seat and don't really consider the lost revenue from such a petty fee. .
I expect that they have analysed it over time . I expect that most people do not have ocd over seating really don't overly care about selecting seats in advance. Those that do can get a better selection of seats
Old Aug 29, 2013, 3:11 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Yeah I'm with DaveNoble on this. Its been like this for long enough now for those BA Accountants to have effectively performed their cost benefit analysis on the approach and confirmed it to be the right approach for BA.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 3:18 am

Programs: Some, not all.
Originally Posted by hillrider
You forgot charging for food:
Charge $7000 - all have to pay it
Charge $6800 without food, then can save $200.

And so on.
Which is exactly the argument the LCCs use - only pay for what you use. Does BA really want to be seen in the same camp as Ryanair? It's one thing to pay a seat assignment fee on a €10 fare, quite another on a business class fare.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 3:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by visualAd
The only trick I know is to keep flying and get a silver / bronze card which gives you free seat selection (7 days in advance for the later). Otherwise you can choose seats 24 hours before departure.
Any OW Sapphire status (like AA Platinum) will get you free seat selection; not just BA's. Also certain travel agents working on corporate accounts can access free seat selection.

In its own way, BA is trying to show it rewards loyalty. It either makes its profits through customer loyalty or seat selection fees.

Originally Posted by A P Yu
Its been like this for long enough now for those BA Accountants to have effectively performed their cost benefit analysis on the approach and confirmed it to be the right approach for BA.
This policy has been in place for several years now BA has reported an increase in its premium traffic over the past two years so something must be working.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by 21H21J
Which is exactly the argument the LCCs use - only pay for what you use. Does BA really want to be seen in the same camp as Ryanair? It's one thing to pay a seat assignment fee on a €10 fare, quite another on a business class fare.
And conversely one could argue that why should those on J fares or on corporate deals with BA (who do get free seat selection) buying a week before departure not be able to get their preferred choice of seat due to those on cheap I fares having taken them

I really think that overall it is a minor thing and that most people just don't care and those with status a full fare or ocd can get assignments if desired

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.