Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 & B787 in service dates (Europe).?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2013, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: EI Silver, AF Ivory, SPG Gold, HH, IHG Priority Club, Choice Privileges
A380 & B787 in service dates (Europe).?

Hi All;

My apologies if this has been asked already, but I have gone through over 20 pages of postings and may have missed it

Usually when an airline receives a new aircraft type, they operate it on short haul routes for crew familiarization. Air France did this with their A380, mostly CDG-LHR and offered special fares also, so passengers could experience the aircraft / product

I am interested in booking with either avios or cash to travel short haul on the BA A380 or B787 if and when they will be used on short haul routes after delivery

I called the EC today and they tell me, that familiarization flights will be only for staff and not sold to the public nor made available to EC members

My present information suggests that the A380 "may" be used initially on LHR-FRA

Has anyone any information that might help me decide of flights to book and when

Once again, apologies if this has been asked already
Old May 30, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
What BAEC told you is correct, why would they tell you incorrect information?
Old May 30, 2013, 10:55 am

The A380 will be flying LHR-FRA-LHR.The B787 will be delivered and parked until october (ish) as BA does not have the training resources to bring 2 new types online simultaneously.
Old May 30, 2013, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Someone speculated on FRA in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-training.html
And a lot of speculation and discussion in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ear-go-29.html
Old May 30, 2013, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Someone speculated on FRA in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-training.html
And a lot of speculation and discussion in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ear-go-29.html
Under the new JAA rules the trainers are not allowed to train until they have flown 50 sectors on type.They will be bouncing around between Manston Chateauroux and other wonderful places to achieve the magic 50,with no passengers onboard.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex
The B787 will be delivered and parked until october (ish) as BA does not have the training resources to bring 2 new types online simultaneously.
Oh really? My good mate has just completed his 787 pilot training and that's not the info he gave me
Old May 30, 2013, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BenHuddy
What BAEC told you is correct, why would they tell you incorrect information?
BA regularly give out incorrect information, so I can understand the OP's question.
Old May 30, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider
Oh really? My good mate has just completed his 787 pilot training and that's not the info he gave me
If that's the case, then it doesn't explain why the 787s will be parked until October?

Unless they won't be?

Last edited by Hyperacusis; May 30, 2013 at 2:44 pm
Old May 30, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: ABBA
Under the new JAA rules the trainers are not allowed to train until they have flown 50 sectors on type.They will be bouncing around between Manston Chateauroux and other wonderful places to achieve the magic 50,with no passengers onboard.
And thus gain Silver cards?
Old May 30, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
The A380 will be flying LHR-FRA-LHR.The B787 will be delivered and parked until october (ish) as BA does not have the training resources to bring 2 new types online simultaneously.
Pilots and Cabin crew are currently training on the 787 and watch this space, but I think (not set in stone but certainly planned) the 787 should be making some appearances on normal scheduled services to EWR, IAD, YYZ, YYC, all replacing 767 flights from mid to late June.
Old May 31, 2013, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Plat, Avis PC, Sixt Pl,
Will be quite a PR coup if BA can get their 787s in the air before Thomson begins on the 8th July.

I see Thomson PR machine today seems to state "The first UK airline to take delivery of the Dreamliner" whereas I'm sure previous PR used to state "The first UK airline to fly the Dreamliner".
Old May 31, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by courtster
Will be quite a PR coup if BA can get their 787s in the air before Thomson begins on the 8th July.

I see Thomson PR machine today seems to state "The first UK airline to take delivery of the Dreamliner" whereas I'm sure previous PR used to state "The first UK airline to fly the Dreamliner".
Thomson and Manchester Airport have got their PR machine out today already with their 787 landing at MAN today, UK's first Dreamliner landing at MAN before any other UK airports.

T
Old May 31, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
And the beeb reports Thomson as the 'only uk airliner to fly the.... dreamliner'....the wording that follows that they have taken delivery of their first dreamliner makes the sentence read like only thomson will be flying them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-22719853
Old May 31, 2013, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by toothy
Thomson and Manchester Airport have got their PR machine out today already with their 787 landing at MAN today, UK's first Dreamliner landing at MAN before any other UK airports.

T
Qatar have been flying them to LHR for quite some time now, before the suspension and I think flights have resumed now too. I certainly saw one parked up at east base for weeks.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
There is absolutely no chance that BA will park up the 787 until October. Likewise, there is absolutely no chance that BA will fly the aircraft commercially, "mid to late June".

The EC staff will not intentionally given out incorrect info, they simply will not have been given what amounts to highly sensitive detail, which is very much still a moving plan.

BA will not formally announce the SH A380 flying as they will not want to end up with egg on their face with only 1 x 380 hull. 787 may be slightly different as they receive more of these aircraft over a shorter period of time, thus they should be in a stronger place to announce their intentions with it.

time will tell.

Last edited by surryson; May 31, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.