Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Galleries Club Lounge Gatwick (North Terminal): Catering options from April 2013

Galleries Club Lounge Gatwick (North Terminal): Catering options from April 2013

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 5, 18, 4:37 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: KARFA
Wiki Link
This thread gives the current catering options (2013 onwards) for the Galleries Club lounge at LGW. This lounge is open to oneworld Emerald and Sapphire members, and passengers travelling in First, Club World, Club Europe and Business UK. oneworld Emerald members and passengers travelling in First may choose to use the separate Galleries First lounge next door to this lounge.

The current catering options and photos of the LGW Galleries Club lounge offering can be found in the first post in the thread, or you can click here. The catering supplier was changed on 25 April 2013 to BaxterStorey.

Catering options - other LGW lounge
First Lounge London Gatwick Catering options

Catering options - LHR lounges
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR : menus 2018
Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2016 (n.b. no separate 2017 or 2018 thread) - T3 & T5
Galleries Club lounges LHR: Dining menu and food options - T3 and T5

For the UK domestic lounges in Newcastle, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast, Leeds, Aberdeen, and Inverness
UK Domestic lounges (outside London) - catering arrangements from April 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014-2018 threads)

BA Champagne & Wine thread
The LHR CCR cocktail menu - cocktail menu introduced May 2014
The 2017 BA Champagne & Wine Thread - covers LHR & LGW lounges and in the air

Archived food & drink threads
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR: menus 2017
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR: menus 2016
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR: menus 2015
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR: menus 2014
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR: menus 2013
Concorde Dining Room IAD: menus and food options - see new Concorde Rooms and Bars: JFK, IAD, SIN, DXB linked above
Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2015 - T3 and T5
Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2014 - T3 and T5
Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013 - T3 and T5
First Lounge London Gatwick (North terminal): Catering options from April 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014 or 2015 thread)
The 2016 BA Champagne & Wine Thread - covers LHR & LGW lounges and in the air
The 2014 BA Champagne & Wine Thread - covers LHR & LGW lounges and in the air
The 2013 BA Champagne & Wine Thread - covers LHR & LGW lounges and in the air
International Lounge Terminal 1 LHR - catering options from May 2013 - T1 international flights
Print Wikipost

Old May 30, 13, 4:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

Galleries Club Lounge London Gatwick (North Terminal): Catering options from April 2013

From 25 April 2013 the food options in the Galleries Club lounge at London Gatwick North Terminal have changed, after BaxterStorey was appointed to run the food and beverage operations. This lounge is available to Club Europe, Club World, BA Silver and oneworld Sapphire members travelling oneworld, with the LGW Flounge available next door for First / Gold / Emerald passengers.

[Note: A particular thank you to the staff in the lounge here, who were exceptionally helpful to me and indeed the other passengers. Some of them have worked in the LGW lounge complex for many years and have seen many changes. It is noteable that the guestbook in LGW is much less vitriolic than those in LHR, despite the weaker food offerings].

Breakfast Menu
Available from 5:15 to 12 noon.

Help yourself to the following selection of breakfast goods:

Croissants; pain au chocolat; cinnamon pain aux raisins; pecan, raspberry and strawberry trellis Danish pastries; custard tart.
Toast (white and brown) and jam (strawberry)
Selection of cereals: sweet muesli, bran flakes, Rice Krispies, Kellogg's cornflakes, Weetabix.
Traditional porridge with accompaniments (sugar, cinnamon sugar, honey, jam).

Yoghurt selection: strawberry, Greek, natural.
Fruit salad, orange segments and grapefruit segments.
Fresh fruit: oranges, pears and apples (normally bananas, but just today we have no bananas)

Fruit juices: apple, orange and tomato concentrates, cranberry drink.

Jams, preserve, honey and Marmite (from jars).
Note that there are no bacon rolls in this lounge, nor was there before BaxterStorey. Flounge users do have bacon bagettes available all day.

Beverages
Available all day
Traditional and speciality teas
Freshly ground bean to cup coffee
Hot chocolate

Rest of the day
Noon to close

Help yourself
Further information on this period would be appreciated.

Self service buffet
- Quiche
- Soup - 4 flavours on rotation, with crusty and soft bread rolls
- Salads: coleslaw, tomato, cucumber, beetroot
- Sandwich selection

Afternoon tea
Served from 2.00pm to 5.00pm
Please help yourself to our selection of cakes, classic and fruit scones, served with Stokes 'Extra' jam and clotted cream, plus a selection of Island Bakery Organics biscuits.

Photos
These photos relate to the food offerings during the breakfast period:

Recent page from the guest book - mix of positive and negative views:

And finally some BaxterStorey publicity:

Comments
My perception, backed by discussions with staff and some other regular users of the lounge, is that the BaxterStorey changeover has had positive and negative changes. The sandwiches are much bulkier and tastier, and more decortatively served. The cakes are popular, as is the new quiche / flan and soup offerings. The taste of the porridge varies from day to day, it appears some staff are better at it than others, but at least it is homemade. The lack of takeaway portions has caused friction, however. For example one twice a year guest like to snaffle "a couple" of mini packs of Marmite to go on holiday with. It now comes out of a big jar. It seems trivial to me, but it certainly upset that traveller.

Update tracker
30 May - opening post
2 June - correction to juices.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jun 2, 13 at 12:34 pm Reason: See above
Old Jun 2, 13, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Looking forward (vaguely) to testing in 10 days' time. Usually arrive around 0900 and depart 1200, so may get to see and photo both meal options.

I was always personally content with the breakfast offering, but then I'm an undemanding customer!
Old Jun 2, 13, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
The menu makes mention of fresh fruit juices - is this really the case? I was under the impression the Club lounges only stocked concentrated juice.
Old Jun 2, 13, 12:33 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Genius1 View Post
The menu makes mention of fresh fruit juices - is this really the case? I was under the impression the Club lounges only stocked concentrated juice.
And you would be correct! It's obviously concentrate from the photos. It does say "fresh" on the crib sheet I have but the best one could say is it is freshly served! I'll correct it above.
Old Jun 3, 13, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
I will be there at end of August so will report back.
Old Jun 3, 13, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
It would be so nice if BS could provide the hot bacon/mushroom rolls and toast - that would make LGW as bad as LHR, not worse
Old Jun 5, 13, 4:33 am

No Champagne in here??

There isn't this morning. Unless my eyes are deceiving me!
Old Jun 5, 13, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TCX69 View Post
No Champagne in here??

There isn't this morning. Unless my eyes are deceiving me!
Just ask one of the staff and they will bring you a glass. The mention on one of the threads to a bottle being left on the side was very much an exception. Champagne in LGW Galleries Club (and in the LHR GC lounges) is usually on request rather than free pour.
Old Jan 20, 14, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Breakfast offering now also includes sliced (pressed) ham and cheese (cheddar).

That was introduced late last Summer, and was a suggestion I made to the BS and BA managers I happened to meet last Spring ... when I commented on the last of savoury options available. So they do actually listen (at least, they do at LGW)
Old Jun 12, 14, 5:31 am

Programs: Star Alliance - Gold, OW - Emerald (LATAM), SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
Tried the tomato soup earlier... tastes very much like Heinz Cream of Tomato. Awful stuff.
Old Jun 13, 14, 5:21 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
I was in the LGW Galleries lounge at the weekend for an early morning flight. I thought the food selection and quality was very good. But I did not want bacon rolls or champagne

The pasties were especially good and the coffee drinkable.

The food offered in flight was poor. I was travelling Economy on a short European flight. They offered a Strawberry and Banana Bircher muesli. It was vile. It has to be the worst food offering I have ever had on a flight. Even worse that the half a tinned pear with a squirt of Birds Eye Dream Topping that was passed as dessert on a Monarch flight to Sardinia in 1983!

I would have willingly swapped it for a Ducks Tongue which I hear is now being offered to lounge customers at Chengdu
Old Jun 13, 14, 5:39 am

Programs: BAEC (busted back down to) Silver, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by MaximusDecimusMeridius View Post
The food offered in flight was poor. I was travelling Economy on a short European flight. They offered a Strawberry and Banana Bircher muesli. It was vile.
Oh, don't get me started. What is the obsession with sodding Bircher muesli? It is truly nasty.
Old Jun 13, 14, 6:47 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by mjh0 View Post
Oh, don't get me started. What is the obsession with sodding Bircher muesli? It is truly nasty.
Now I like a good bircher Muesli. There was one in the Lounge and it was good. I make my own at home, it's fab.

This was not Bircher muesli despite what the packaging may have said. It was pink gloop with bits of (one presumes) oat grains floating around in it.

Icky.
Old Jul 7, 14, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, Starbucks Gold (free syrup, don't knock it), My John Lewis (free coffee and cake!)
Just stumbled across this thread as I've never experienced the LGW BA lounges and will have an opportunity to do so next April. All I can say is, good grief! Exceptionally poor offering, especially compared with the VS CH - my kids will not be happy about the lack of hot food, not to mention being unable to have their nails done (yeah, very much first world problems).

I think maybe a quick breakfast at Cafe Rouge is called for, before heading in there for a glass or two of champagne...
Old Jul 7, 14, 5:24 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by ratechaser View Post
Just stumbled across this thread as I've never experienced the LGW BA lounges and will have an opportunity to do so next April. All I can say is, good grief! Exceptionally poor offering, especially compared with the VS CH - my kids will not be happy about the lack of hot food, not to mention being unable to have their nails done (yeah, very much first world problems).

I think maybe a quick breakfast at Cafe Rouge is called for, before heading in there for a glass or two of champagne...
Likewise as an ex VS gold it took some getting used to. However in the LGWGold/first lounge there is hot food so you could sneak in and get yourself a nice bacon roll.

Search this Thread