Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Airport Live : 4 nights at LHR ATC & behind the scenes - starts 8pm BBC2, 17 Jun

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 20, 2013, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: layz
Links to BBC iPlayer and other online sources where this programme can be watched or downloaded. Feel free to update with any others you may find. (NB it's the Internet, so usual caveats and warnings apply).

BBC iPlayer

iPlayer links expire around 7 days after broadcast.

YouTube

Episode 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozYdENqyu-g
Episode 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHS12PWhJ10

Episode 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW3ueZA0fM0
Episode 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWgO9BqGCI4
Print Wikipost

Airport Live : 4 nights at LHR ATC & behind the scenes - starts 8pm BBC2, 17 Jun

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2013, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

Edit: Oh, I see I was too late, already a thread here while I was trying to post it!

Sorry, Mods please delete/merge as you wish!

For anyone interested, the BBC will be coming live from the tower for four nights in June.

http://www.nats.co.uk/news/bbc-to-broadcast-nats-air-traffic-control-operations-from-heathrow-tower/

NATS air traffic control operations at Heathrow Airport will be in the spotlight in a new live TV event broadcast over four nights next month.

Presenter Dan Snow will be in the Heathrow Airport control tower for Airport Live as the BBC gets unrivalled access behind the scenes throughout the airport for the programme due to aired between 20:00-21:00hrs each evening 17–20 June.

Presenters Dallas Campbell and Anita Rani will also be airside, granted unparalleled access to get to grips with the extraordinary science, engineering and logistics that make air travel at one of the world’s busiest airports possible.

There will be a significant focus on the work of NATS’ air traffic controllers who manage around 1,400 aircraft movements each day, including access to the heart of the operation in the visual control room of the tower.

Dan Snow said: “Air travel has become an everyday luxury that we take for granted, but behind the scenes it’s a fascinating web of processes all precisely managed to maintain equilibrium.

“Over four nights we’ll get the chance to see how it all works. We’ll take a look at the complex choreography of air traffic control, learn to fly the world’s largest passenger jet, the A380, and discover how weather plays a crucial role in keeping the whole operation running smoothly. Airport Live will be a thrilling journey through the skies and a definitive account of modern air travel.”

NATS’ General Manager at Heathrow Jon Proudlove said the BBC programme would shine a light on an aspect of air travel that the public does not generally get to see.

“The work of the NATS air traffic controllers at Heathrow is crucial to the efficient running of the airport, ensuring that the runways that we have are used to their maximum capacity safely every day,” said Jon.

“This programme will show some of the challenges we face and the technology that we use to ensure we get the very most we can from what is available.”

The BBC said Airport Live would mark the most complete exploration of Heathrow’s grounds and skies and would feature a mix of live and pre-recorded footage that would explain how an airport worked.

BBC Two will go behind the scenes airside; into the heart of the air traffic control tower; onto the tarmac as a plane is turned around for departure; and into the hub of engineering to watch a service on a plane. Everything and everyone is on a deadline and BBC Two will be there to watch this daily race first hand.
Old May 21, 2013, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
Edit: Oh, I see I was too late, already a thread here while I was trying to post it!

Sorry, Mods please delete/merge as you wish!

For anyone interested, the BBC will be coming live from the tower for four nights in June.

http://www.nats.co.uk/news/bbc-to-broadcast-nats-air-traffic-control-operations-from-heathrow-tower/

NATS air traffic control operations at Heathrow Airport will be in the spotlight in a new live TV event broadcast over four nights next month.

Presenter Dan Snow will be in the Heathrow Airport control tower for Airport Live as the BBC gets unrivalled access behind the scenes throughout the airport for the programme due to aired between 20:00-21:00hrs each evening 17–20 June.

Presenters Dallas Campbell and Anita Rani will also be airside, granted unparalleled access to get to grips with the extraordinary science, engineering and logistics that make air travel at one of the world’s busiest airports possible.

There will be a significant focus on the work of NATS’ air traffic controllers who manage around 1,400 aircraft movements each day, including access to the heart of the operation in the visual control room of the tower.

Dan Snow said: “Air travel has become an everyday luxury that we take for granted, but behind the scenes it’s a fascinating web of processes all precisely managed to maintain equilibrium.

“Over four nights we’ll get the chance to see how it all works. We’ll take a look at the complex choreography of air traffic control, learn to fly the world’s largest passenger jet, the A380, and discover how weather plays a crucial role in keeping the whole operation running smoothly. Airport Live will be a thrilling journey through the skies and a definitive account of modern air travel.”

NATS’ General Manager at Heathrow Jon Proudlove said the BBC programme would shine a light on an aspect of air travel that the public does not generally get to see.

“The work of the NATS air traffic controllers at Heathrow is crucial to the efficient running of the airport, ensuring that the runways that we have are used to their maximum capacity safely every day,” said Jon.

“This programme will show some of the challenges we face and the technology that we use to ensure we get the very most we can from what is available.”

The BBC said Airport Live would mark the most complete exploration of Heathrow’s grounds and skies and would feature a mix of live and pre-recorded footage that would explain how an airport worked.

BBC Two will go behind the scenes airside; into the heart of the air traffic control tower; onto the tarmac as a plane is turned around for departure; and into the hub of engineering to watch a service on a plane. Everything and everyone is on a deadline and BBC Two will be there to watch this daily race first hand.
Looks like something ill be watching on iPlayer^

Does much actually go on in the tower during the curfew hours?
Old May 21, 2013, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Oh, plenty! Not sure if any of it would be suitable for transmission though!!!!
Old May 21, 2013, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by phol
Looks like something ill be watching on iPlayer^
Really wasn't necessary to quote the OP's entire post.
Old May 22, 2013, 3:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Maybe they can cover the departure of BA87 on the 20th for a pre-recorded part. Would love to see how you guys handle a flight I'm actually on.

Will be SKY+ing it anyway.
Old May 22, 2013, 5:22 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by SpurMan
Maybe they can cover the departure of BA87 on the 20th for a pre-recorded part. Would love to see how you guys handle a flight I'm actually on.

Will be SKY+ing it anyway.
Or EK8.... maybe that'll be the A380 segment (I'll be in shorts in F)
Old May 22, 2013, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
*evil look*
Old May 22, 2013, 5:37 am

Here's the BBC page about it: BBC Airport Live
Old May 22, 2013, 5:47 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
I still have my VHS of Airport 90 at Gatwick of a summer evening. It all looked so glamorous....
I think that was Nick Owen and ITV.
Old May 22, 2013, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Keep the doors on the suite closed then!!

I hope [forlornly] some pretty girls will be the only ones wearing shorts in the F cabin on the 87. I will not be. Wouldn't want to subject the rest of the cabin to my legs! [now where's the vomit smiley?]
Old May 22, 2013, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
^
Old May 22, 2013, 6:05 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
This will be great ^

Dallas is a good friend... and his father was a BA 747 skipper too
Old May 22, 2013, 6:25 am

I shall delete my thread HeathrowTower and once again bow to your superiority ;-)
Old May 22, 2013, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by skipness1E
I still have my VHS of Airport 90 at Gatwick of a summer evening. It all looked so glamorous....
I think that was Nick Owen and ITV.
And for your enjoyment....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HLtKh1mnNI
Old May 22, 2013, 9:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Thanks for the heads up Heathrow Tower ^

I quite like these sort of things and ATC sometimes reminds me of a (fictional) film where the ATC gives out the order ......

" Stack Em, Pack Em and Rack em ". Name that film?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.