Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Friday 23 August or Saturday 24 August? Please indicate your preference.
Friday, 23 August
28.57%
Saturday, 24 August
19.05%
No preference. Either works for me
52.38%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 26, 2013, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Glasgow Do

Ladies and Gentleman, you are all cordially invited to the BA Flyertalk Glasgow Do! Glasgow is the largest city in Scotland, and home to some wonderful style and culture, as well as being famed for its architecture and its friendly locals.

The Venues have been named, and thankfully, they are all close by, with excellent transport links to go with. The main part of the night will take place at Curlers Rest, which is right beside Hillhead Underground station. The end of the night will take place at Club O/Oran Mor, which is directly across from the Hilton Grosvenor.

================================================== ========
Date:
Friday 23rd August 2013

Venues/Schedule:

The day will start around 4.00pm for those of us who want to enjoy a few wee drams at one of the best whisky drinking places in Glasgow.

-4.00pm The Ben Nevis Bar, 1147 Argyle Street, Glasgow, G3 8TB. Enjoy a fantastic selection of whisky and malts, and the chance to sample hospitality from a bar that has built a strong following in the local area.

-7.00pm Curlers Rest (Upstairs), 256-260 Byres road, Glasgow, G12 8SH. Meet upstairs, for a buffet (£8 per head). Buffet will be served around 8pm and will give you a chance to sample a large selection of Scottish food and to meet everyone and get mingling. There is a fantastic selection of champagnes and beers on offer at this Cask Marque bar, and the kitchen is open so we will be able to view the chefs busy at work as we drink and get merry. I have uploaded the Drinks and Buffet Menu, as well as a Sample Menu of the daily Food on offer at Curlers - feel free to order a main meal when we get there too!

If you have any special dietary requirements please let me know by PM and you will be looked after!

Drinks, Buffet and Sample Dinner Menu

-11.30pm Club O, Oran Mor, Top of Byres Road, Glasgow, G12 8QX. I have been able to get 20 Queue Skip Passes for our Group to gain access to Club O @ Oran Mor, a fantastic reclaimed Church that stands at the top of Byres Road. Open until 3am, you have the option of going downstairs to the Club, or upstairs to the more traditional 'Pub' style bar. The choice is yours.

Hotels:
There are various Hilton Hotels (Hilton Glasgow, Hilton Grosvenor, Hilton Garden Inn). Marriott, Radisson Blu, Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn etc to cater for all tastes and loyalty programs. The Hilton Grosvenor is the closest major hotel in the West End, as well as Hotel Du Vin which gets a great reputation!

Transport:
To/From Airport: The Glasgow Shuttle is a 24/7 bus service from GLA Airport and costs £8.50 for an open return to the City Centre. There is also a 747 Bus Service that is every 30 minutes and goes down Dumbarton Road which is in the West End and costs ~£5. Taxis from the Airport to the City Centre cost ~£12 (Private Cab) or ~£23 (Airport Taxi Rank). GLA airport has all the usual Car Rental companies on arrival. There is no train service from GLA airport to the city centre.

Rail: Glasgow has 2 railway stations, Queen Street and Central. Central connects to/from London/South, and Queen Street connects to/from Edinburgh and Scottish cities. Queen Street is also connected to the Subway system (Buchanan St Subway).

City Centre to West End: Glasgow also has a subway system, and the nearest subway station in the West End is Hillhead. A Discovery ticket allows travel all day on the Subway for £3.80. There is also an extensive bus network (fares vary) and Black Cabs are plentiful (~£6 fare from City to West End).

================================================== ========

Questions? Please feel free to shoot me a PM.
Print Wikipost

Glasgow do : Friday 23 August

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2013, 4:13 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Its looking good and a huge thanks to rxfleming for doing all the ground work.

Map has been duly updated...

PS. If anyone can recommend a good drive through car wash in the area, please mark the spot on the map
Old Jun 10, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat, Club Carlson G, SAS S
yes looks great, please add drspear and drspear+1

will train from ABZ and stay at Crowne Plaza

Do kids get in this lounge
Old Jun 19, 2013, 6:06 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Please put me down as a maybe
Old Jun 23, 2013, 6:11 am

Lucky I've got a work trip in Glasgow then. Count me in!
Old Jun 23, 2013, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA (Silver), UA, Virgin FC Silver, Microsoft Word, blah blah
Please add me as a 'maybe' - not sure what my schedule looks like at the end of Aug yet but if I'm around (ie at home) then would like to join in.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:37 pm
formerly rxfleming
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Updated the list. Good to see so many of you keen to join!
Old Jul 18, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Sixt Platinum, HH Gold
Please add me as a yes, even if it's in Glasgow
Old Jul 19, 2013, 4:42 am
formerly rxfleming
Original Poster

5 weeks to go peeps. Hope you are training your livers' well.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
unfortunately I am a definite 'no' (rather than a 'maybe') as need to be in FRA that evening.

hope it turns out to be a great evening though.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 5:13 am

I'm sorry, I can't make this now either.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Would like to come, but travelling to LHR after work Friday, means arrival at GLA 22.20 or 22.55. Either way, I'll be d*mned to catch up with y'all.

Browsing current prices at Hilton Grosvenor shows £277 on Friday 23, £79 on Saturday 24. The "majority" of 6 to 4 (Friday vs Saturday) beeing reduced to 6-5 with my post, I hope other participants will think lower hotel price - more people to the the DO.

Count me in, but only if Saturday
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:19 pm
formerly rxfleming
Original Poster

Did you read the wiki? It's already been announced as Friday and everything has already been organised
Old Jul 20, 2013, 8:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Unfortunately I can't come anymore - I must be in Geneva the same day. I hope to participate at next DOs
Old Jul 23, 2013, 9:02 am

Looks good.

I am still available but probably not at 4pm!
Old Jul 24, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
I'm now a definite rather than a maybe!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.