Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Friday 23 August or Saturday 24 August? Please indicate your preference.
Friday, 23 August
28.57%
Saturday, 24 August
19.05%
No preference. Either works for me
52.38%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 26, 2013, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Glasgow Do

Ladies and Gentleman, you are all cordially invited to the BA Flyertalk Glasgow Do! Glasgow is the largest city in Scotland, and home to some wonderful style and culture, as well as being famed for its architecture and its friendly locals.

The Venues have been named, and thankfully, they are all close by, with excellent transport links to go with. The main part of the night will take place at Curlers Rest, which is right beside Hillhead Underground station. The end of the night will take place at Club O/Oran Mor, which is directly across from the Hilton Grosvenor.

================================================== ========
Date:
Friday 23rd August 2013

Venues/Schedule:

The day will start around 4.00pm for those of us who want to enjoy a few wee drams at one of the best whisky drinking places in Glasgow.

-4.00pm The Ben Nevis Bar, 1147 Argyle Street, Glasgow, G3 8TB. Enjoy a fantastic selection of whisky and malts, and the chance to sample hospitality from a bar that has built a strong following in the local area.

-7.00pm Curlers Rest (Upstairs), 256-260 Byres road, Glasgow, G12 8SH. Meet upstairs, for a buffet (Ł8 per head). Buffet will be served around 8pm and will give you a chance to sample a large selection of Scottish food and to meet everyone and get mingling. There is a fantastic selection of champagnes and beers on offer at this Cask Marque bar, and the kitchen is open so we will be able to view the chefs busy at work as we drink and get merry. I have uploaded the Drinks and Buffet Menu, as well as a Sample Menu of the daily Food on offer at Curlers - feel free to order a main meal when we get there too!

If you have any special dietary requirements please let me know by PM and you will be looked after!

Drinks, Buffet and Sample Dinner Menu

-11.30pm Club O, Oran Mor, Top of Byres Road, Glasgow, G12 8QX. I have been able to get 20 Queue Skip Passes for our Group to gain access to Club O @ Oran Mor, a fantastic reclaimed Church that stands at the top of Byres Road. Open until 3am, you have the option of going downstairs to the Club, or upstairs to the more traditional 'Pub' style bar. The choice is yours.

Hotels:
There are various Hilton Hotels (Hilton Glasgow, Hilton Grosvenor, Hilton Garden Inn). Marriott, Radisson Blu, Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn etc to cater for all tastes and loyalty programs. The Hilton Grosvenor is the closest major hotel in the West End, as well as Hotel Du Vin which gets a great reputation!

Transport:
To/From Airport: The Glasgow Shuttle is a 24/7 bus service from GLA Airport and costs Ł8.50 for an open return to the City Centre. There is also a 747 Bus Service that is every 30 minutes and goes down Dumbarton Road which is in the West End and costs ~Ł5. Taxis from the Airport to the City Centre cost ~Ł12 (Private Cab) or ~Ł23 (Airport Taxi Rank). GLA airport has all the usual Car Rental companies on arrival. There is no train service from GLA airport to the city centre.

Rail: Glasgow has 2 railway stations, Queen Street and Central. Central connects to/from London/South, and Queen Street connects to/from Edinburgh and Scottish cities. Queen Street is also connected to the Subway system (Buchanan St Subway).

City Centre to West End: Glasgow also has a subway system, and the nearest subway station in the West End is Hillhead. A Discovery ticket allows travel all day on the Subway for Ł3.80. There is also an extensive bus network (fares vary) and Black Cabs are plentiful (~Ł6 fare from City to West End).

================================================== ========

Questions? Please feel free to shoot me a PM.
Print Wikipost

Glasgow do : Friday 23 August

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 4:08 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Prospero
Phew! That's a relief cos the only corpy bus I've been on is inside the Riverside Museum The routes were plucked from the Greater Glasgow website this evening so I would hope they are current.
They modified the bus numbers yesterday...basically reducing the number of services dressing it up as simplified. It is termed "SimpliCITY".

Not just BA that likes to 'enhance'...
Old May 27, 2013, 4:13 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Thanks for the map Prospero ^

Just a couple of questions;

Is Hillhead a safe area like Milngavvy?

Will I have to disguise my Edinburgh accent once I pass the border at Harthill?

Old May 27, 2013, 4:15 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PETER01
Thanks for the map Prospero ^

Just a couple of questions;

Is Hillhead a safe area like Milngavvy?

Will I have to disguise my Edinburgh accent once I pass the border at Harthill?

Yes Hillhead is a safe area (possibly not quite as safe as Mill-en-gavvy and Bearsden, but it's perfectly safe!) - I walk through it nearly every day at all sorts of hours and never once had any issues.

And yes definitely. Especially if you get off the bus at the wrong stop...
Old May 27, 2013, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by andset1191
Yes Hillhead is a safe area (possibly not quite as safe as Mill-en-gavvy and Bearsden, but it's perfectly safe!) - I walk through it nearly every day at all sorts of hours and never once had any issues.

And yes definitely. Especially if you get off the bus at the wrong stop...
I was just teasing of course but I can see your point in my bolding.

Old May 27, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
I usually hang in the EK forum, can I still take part?
Old May 27, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by marconess
I'm sure you'd be more than welcome .
Old May 27, 2013, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by marconess
Not my thread but of course you can! ^

It is an FT Do although the majority attending will of course be BA regulars.

The only downside if this is your first one you have to buy everyone a drink.

Southern Comfort and Lemonade for me please...............
Old May 28, 2013, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, KLM, HILTON HONOURS
Put me down as a maybe I can do either night
Old May 28, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Gold, Starwood Gold
Would have liked to attend a local(ish) do but I am already booked up to go to the Belgian Grand Prix that weekend.
Old May 28, 2013, 8:18 am

On the basis that I live in Glasgow I should be available either night.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
count me in

As a new user to the forum and new frequent BA "Flyer" (just moved from Chicago to Glasgow) count me in. I live in the West End.

Obvious place to go is the Chip, we usually hold meetups in the pub upstairs if you stick right coming through the door. Curlers is consistent and roomy. Two Fat Ladies is a bit of a walk but fairly incredible if dinner is on order.

A fried Mars bar at the University Cafe is a must, fried pizza if you are so bold.

Bus services are not so convenient to the West End. Just call Network NCS (PCS?) car service for pickup about 10-15 minutes before you are ready to go and meet them in the pick up area just inside the park structure right outside the main door. Usually 12 pounds and they will stop at a cash machine if you want Scottish money with Robert the Bruce on it to be cute.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome bvaler

Originally Posted by bvaler
As a new user to the forum and new frequent BA "Flyer" (just moved from Chicago to Glasgow) count me in. I live in the West End.
Welcome bvaler to Flyertalk and to the British Airways forum, and even more of a welcome for taking the plunge at a Do. I look forward to seeing more of you here and in Hillhead..... Welcome again.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: MUCCI :D, BA Lifetime Gold, JJC (1980 the Leo Budd years) Hilton Gold
I am up for this but must take some time to consider.

I have a lot of travel going on and I am pondering taking the week following off, upon which case I will definitely take the Friday off as well and come up early evening.

However I'll be in NY until the Tuesday before and that's always subject to change.

I've spent a lot of time in both Edinburgh and Glasgow, including performing at the RSAM (Royal Scottish Academy of Music), and each time (not the performing per se) has always been great fun and very drunken. Another visit would be very welcome and particularly since 25 years have passed since the death of my Scottish Grandfather from Milngavie so a drink and a toast to his memory wouldn't go amiss.
Old May 30, 2013, 4:24 pm
formerly rxfleming
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Cheers Prospero for the map. I'll copy it and put it into the first post if that's ok?

I'll be announcing more information this weekend
I'll update the list this weekend too, sorry for the delays.
Old May 30, 2013, 7:38 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Hmmmm, put me as a "maybe" please. I may be in those neck of the woods near end Aug!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.