Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

International Lounge Terminal 1 LHR - catering options from May 2013

Old May 17, 2013, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread gives the current catering options (2013, 2014, & 2015) for the International Lounge in Terminal 1. This is the lounge used by eligible passengers travelling to certain Europe, North African and the Middle East destinations. The catering supplier was changed on 12 June 2013 to BaxterStorey.

The current catering options in the T1 International lounge can be found in the first post in the thread, or you can click here.

Catering options - other LHR lounges
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR : menus 2015 - T5 only
Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2015 - T3 & T5
Galleries Club lounges LHR: Dining menu and food options from 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014 or 2015 thread) - T3 and T5

For the First and Club lounges at Gatwick and the UK domestic lounges in Newcastle, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast, Leeds, and Aberdeen
First Lounge London Gatwick (North terminal): Catering options from April 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014 or 2015 thread) - see
post 2 for the text of BA's leaflet on the supplier changeover
Galleries Club Lounge Gatwick (North Terminal): Catering options from April 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014 or 2015 thread)
UK Domestic lounges (outside London) - catering arrangements from April 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014 or 2015 thread)

For information on the BaxterStorey changeover in 2013
New lounge catering contract: BaxterStorey replaces Compass - effective 1 May 2013
Your recent feedback on catering in our lounges - note from BA Executive Club.

BA Champagne & Wine thread
The 2015 BA Champagne & Wine Thread - covers LHR & LGW lounges and in the air
The LHR CCR cocktail menu - cocktail menu introduced May 2014

Archived food & drink threads
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR: menus 2014
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR: menus 2013
Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2014 - T3 and T5
Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013 - T3 and T5
The 2014 BA Champagne & Wine Thread - covers LHR & LGW lounges and in the air
The 2013 BA Champagne & Wine Thread - covers LHR & LGW lounges and in the air
Print Wikipost

Old May 16, 2013, 4:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

This thread gives details of the catering arrangements in British Airways International Lounge in Terminal 1.

NOTE: The changeover to BaxterStorey, scheduled for 16 May 2013, has been delayed "a number of weeks", so this is NOT the BS catering. The changeover is now scheduled for 12 June 2013. I suggest that the main BaxterStorey thread is probably a better place to comment about this. Restaurant Associates (Compass) will continue to run the lounge in the meantime.

Unlike the other lounges in Gatwick and Heathrow, this lounge handles both Silver (Sapphire) and Gold (Emerald cardholders), as well as those travelling Club Europe, Club World and connecting First passengers. There is a separate UK and Ireland lounge for passengers for Belfast and Dublin, which will be the subject of a separate thread in due course. Dublin and Belfast travellers are not normally allowed to use this lounge.

This is one of a series of threads that cover the catering options in BA's UK lounges. See the Wiki above for details of the other threads, including one that deals specifically with the BaxterStorey contract. By all means add your comments and updates here that relate to the Terminal 1 International Lounge.

Breakfast (from 05:00 to 12:00)

Breakfast items

Bacon butties (until approx 10 hrs).

Porridge on the Aga

Viennoisseries (pain au chocolat, croissants, pain au raisin).

Cereals: Weetabix, cornflakes, fruit and fibre, Rice Krispies.

Yoghurts - various plain and fruit flavours.

Fruit compote

Orange segments

Grapefruit segments
Rest of the day (from 12:00 onwards)

Items served after breakfast include

Lasagne (some days)

Chicken Hunter with rice

Pasta with tomato and basil sauce (hot) with toasted garlic bread

Soup (2 choices on rotation: e.g. red pepper and tomato, potato and leek).

Sandwiches (several types on rotation: e.g. prawn mayonnaise, tuna cucumber, classic chicken mayo, cheddar cheese tomato, egg and salad).

Salads: tomatoes, cucumbers, colelslaw, cold pasta salad, rollmops, mixed lettuce leaves.

Sliced ham

Cheese board and biscuits

Snack options

Walkers Crisps (3 varieties: ready salted, salt and vinegar, cheese and onion)

Walkers biscuits packs

Walkers fruit cake individual packs

Photographs

Some photographs of the lounge offering, starting with breakfast porridge on the Aga.

Chicken Hunter on the right, soup on the left:

Pasta, sauce and garlic bread on the left, leek and potato soup on the right:

Going, going....

Thread updates
18 May - no news!
19 May - updates, more photos, corrections.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; May 17, 2013 at 1:56 pm
Old May 16, 2013, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
A pedantic but important question.

Since the lounge labelled the international lounge in T1 is actually a OW lounge are they entitled to deny access to anyone flying on a OW airline even if the flight is domestic?
Old May 16, 2013, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
A pedantic but important question.

Since the lounge labelled the international lounge in T1 is actually a OW lounge are they entitled to deny access to anyone flying on a OW airline even if the flight is domestic?
What was the rule for BA lounge access in T1 when EI was part of oneworld? Could EI passengers use the international lounge in T1, or was it still totally separated at that point?

I never used the domestic part of T1 until BA moved out, so I'm not sure when the common departure area was implemented.

Presumably they can restrict access as the OW airline in question in BA and therefore as it's their lounge it's their rules (and an alternative is provided).

Just like when bmi ran the lounge, it was signed as a * Gold lounge (as was the domestic) but those travelling bmi domestic were refused from the international lounge, but the other Star Alliance lounge, not run by bmi, had to admit *G guests even on a bmi domestic flight, although some tried to 'suggest' you go to the domestic lounge.

So it seems airlines can make their own exceptions to alliance rules when it concerns their airline, but can't make exceptions about other airlines.

Another example would be AA, they can deny their own members access to the Admirals Clubs when flying domestic, but they can't change the rules for other airlines.
Old May 16, 2013, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd say for some people, the T1 international lounge probably has the best catering of all BA LHR lounges (hopefully with the exception of the Concorde Room).

Those who like a choice of crisps, fruit at breakfast, individually wrapped biscuits and something hot that's not soaked in sauce will now probably prefer this lounge (until the changes I guess!). Personally I'd still prefer the F lounge, but I can see those that wouldn't.

CWS, can you get the thread of the domestic lounge up? I'd love to see what officially the menu is there Almost empty fridges and not a lot to eat was what I seen last time, BaxterStorey must be working hard to enhance that offering
Old May 16, 2013, 6:21 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BS catering
Nice acronym.
Old May 16, 2013, 6:51 am

No more bacon rolls before my RTM flight
Old May 16, 2013, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deccoo
No more bacon rolls before my RTM flight
If there was bacon rolls last time you were there, presumably they'll still be there and this may have been an omission from CWS.

Catering has not changed yet, this is meant to show what the existing menu is prior to the changeover to BS catering.
Old May 16, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: BA Silver
Well for my tastes this seems to beat the T5 Flounge these days. Just a shame that my flights will not give me the opportunity to visit this lounge, although I have many fond memories from the BD days.
Old May 16, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by layz
So it seems airlines can make their own exceptions to alliance rules when it concerns their airline, but can't make exceptions about other airlines.

Another example would be AA, they can deny their own members access to the Admirals Clubs when flying domestic, but they can't change the rules for other airlines.
This is pretty well clarified within OW rules however. Any exceptions are also highlighted within the OW rules such as the AA domestic lounge access restriction for AA status holders.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Updated, wiki'd and more photographs.

I have been told that the lounge is due to get a re-fit in June, independently of the BaxterStorey changeover. This is to brand it in the British Airways style (though personally I don't think there is much wrong with it). So I suspect the writing is on the wall for the greyhound photos, unfortunately. The lounge will not close, it will be done overnight(s).

I think there is a case for saying that this is the best lounge in BA's network, with the possible exception of the two Concorde Rooms. Not so much from the catering point of view, but given it has showers, lounge beds and power sockets everywhere it is very comfortable and well designed. We can thank Lufthansa for their generosity.
Old May 19, 2013, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We can thank Lufthansa for their generosity.
Having tried other Lufthansa lounges (Senator and FTL) I doubt LH had anything to do with the design of this lounge, it opened before the Lufthansa takeover came into effect. It'd be a shame if the lounge was changed too much, a bit like BA's new GLA lounge the design is unique.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others

I think there is a case for saying that this is the best lounge in BA's network, with the possible exception of the two Concorde Rooms. Not so much from the catering point of view
c-w-s - I'm glad you added that second sentence; it's an extremely relevant qualification. Surely the quality of catering is one of the key considerations of any lounge? On that basis there is a case for saying this is the worst LHR BA lounge.

Catering aside the biggest problem the lounge faces is its location. The day can't come too soon when LHR T1 meets the wrecker's ball.
Old May 20, 2013, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
I think there is a case for saying that this is the best lounge in BA's network, with the possible exception of the two Concorde Rooms. Not so much from the catering point of view, but given it has showers, lounge beds and power sockets everywhere it is very comfortable and well designed.
Agree, which is why I would actually prefer they didn't touch it!

Not sure what this re fit is about but if they remove the beds or replace the comfy armchairs by the windows it would be a great shame.
Old May 20, 2013, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A lot depends on how busy this lounge is. When it is busy it is horrid as there is a relatively small amount of pleasant seating and a much larger amount of sub optimal seating. The whole lounge also feels a bit like you are sitting in a corridor unless you are lucky enough to grab one of the comfy chairs by the window.
Old May 20, 2013, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
c-w-s - I'm glad you added that second sentence; it's an extremely relevant qualification. Surely the quality of catering is one of the key considerations of any lounge? On that basis there is a case for saying this is the worst LHR BA lounge.
Remember there's another T1 BA lounge where catering is virtually non-existent!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.