Community
Wiki Posts
Search

when are bassinet seats released?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:27 pm

Hi all,

as I’m sure you’re all dying to know MrsMM and I did get 15E/F (no flub). As it turns out the new BA system does not allow allocation of bassinet positions on MMB despite their release. We tried speaking to a desk agent the night before departure as we were at the Hilton however no dice, but in the morning the agent was more than happy to move us.

flight was brilliant btw. Lots of moans about BA J, but I still thoroughly enjoy it, so much prefer the 3 class 777s though.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: Hilton/Diamond, BA/Gold
Just had this with BA myself, bassinet seats available on MMB but when trying to select them I got an error. Called Gold line and originally they said couldn't be done, explained that I was able to do it previously by calling them, after 5 minutes on hold he came back and said it was done.

One data point - but worth mentioning that you've done it before by calling
KARFA likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by andrewr1985
Just had this with BA myself, bassinet seats available on MMB but when trying to select them I got an error. Called Gold line and originally they said couldn't be done, explained that I was able to do it previously by calling them, after 5 minutes on hold he came back and said it was done.

One data point - but worth mentioning that you've done it before by calling
In my experience it does actually vary flight to flight whether it can be done and yes it will now potentially vary if you are silver or gold if you can book it or not.
Yes it can be down to knowledge or not of an agent but as an agent i know ive been able to book bulkhead seats before on a flight a say 72 hours and others couldnt.

**A further note if within 48 hours of travel its sometimes that instead of the seat being booked in the PNR and showing in MMB its booked by a manager in DCS.
This is essentially adding the seat direct to the check in system so the seat doesnt show in MMB but will when you check in. Ask if it has been booked in the PNR or booked in DCS, we cant use DCS to book as agents only managers have the access.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: BA SL, CX GR, IHG Plat Amb
Hi guys, may I ask where are the bassinet seats in PEY and J classes? Can’t find those on seat maps, but planning to travel along with infant. Should I be able to select those seats in advance? Many thanks.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: Hilton/Diamond, BA/Gold
Originally Posted by Anonba

In my experience it does actually vary flight to flight whether it can be done and yes it will now potentially vary if you are silver or gold if you can book it or not.
Yes it can be down to knowledge or not of an agent but as an agent i know ive been able to book bulkhead seats before on a flight a say 72 hours and others couldnt.

**A further note if within 48 hours of travel its sometimes that instead of the seat being booked in the PNR and showing in MMB its booked by a manager in DCS.
This is essentially adding the seat direct to the check in system so the seat doesnt show in MMB but will when you check in. Ask if it has been booked in the PNR or booked in DCS, we cant use DCS to book as agents only managers have the access.
Interesting point and thanks for the info - if I now login to MMB I can see my new seat assignment, which is the basinet seat that I requested.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver et al
No dice calling UK call centre at T-36 nor Singapore at T-24 to get a WTP bulkhead bassinet seat from LAX. Told that it could only be requested at airport. Ho-hum. In 61D on A380 at present.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by rdsaintloup
No dice calling UK call centre at T-36 nor Singapore at T-24 to get a WTP bulkhead bassinet seat from LAX. Told that it could only be requested at airport. Ho-hum. In 61D on A380 at present.
I did literally this on the BA11. Flew Saturday evening, called on Friday morning and was fine. I am GCH though which might make a difference but not sure.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:32 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by KARFA
As an alternative I think doing the seat selection to move in to the bassinet seats after t-72 used to be possible on the RJ and QF sites. Not sure if that is still the case.
Was just about to suggest the same. Have never taken a single RJ flight in my life (and it's entirely possible I never will) but I still love them as an airline for having a website that can unlock the IB seat assignments on my codeshare flights. So to me they can do no wrong ;-)
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
I did literally this on the BA11. Flew Saturday evening, called on Friday morning and was fine. I am GCH though which might make a difference but not sure.
It is interesting to note that there was availability at 61K and when it called at T-36 that was gone but had opened up to 61A. A cat an mouse game!

I get the sense that this bassinet seat is being held by not by accident but by design. As of T-10, there are no unoccupied seats in WTP (though quite a few both blocked and free in J and Y). The loads are as follows:LAX 9:05p → LHR 3:25p
F1 A0 J9 C0 D0 R0 I0 W9 E0 T0 Y9 B8 H5 K2 M1 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G9

Last edited by rdsaintloup; Jan 7, 2019 at 8:00 am Reason: Correcting error
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Pascoe
Was just about to suggest the same. Have never taken a single RJ flight in my life (and it's entirely possible I never will) but I still love them as an airline for having a website that can unlock the IB seat assignments on my codeshare flights. So to me they can do no wrong ;-)
QR referred me back to BA, and with RJ I got a message saying “PSO not available.”
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Well I guess even the omnipotent RJ.com has it's limits. But it's again worked the magic today for me, unlocking the PE seats on a shorthaul IB A340
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by elm334
I witnessed a guy in front at checkin that had a baby removed from his booking - he was then alone.

I did not think too much about it, but thinking now.. Is that a thing? Booking with infant and "forgetting" it at home.. Just to grab a bassinet seat. I am not aware how much BA charges for infant tickets, though..
My wife and I are paying ~$400 each to fly ORD-LHR in May, and the ticket for our baby was around $150. So not a cheap way to do it. Also, it's highly unethical, since you're potentially taking a bassinet seat away from a traveling family that could actually use it.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I think it should be at about lunchtime on the day three days before the day of the flight (ie about lunchtime on Monday for a flight departing on Thursday). But you may still have to call for this, as I think MMB still has its long-standing feature that you can't select these online even when they have been unblocked.
Correct! Somewhere after 11am IME
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by flyingmonkie
From 72 hours before bassinets are now more likely to show blocked unless you are silver/gold.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: BAEC, AerClub
Originally Posted by Anonba

From 72 hours before bassinets are now more likely to show blocked unless you are silver/gold.
I've just booked within the last few days my first trip of the year to LAS (in March). For the last half dozen or so flights I've reserved 64J and K easily each time, however on this occasion someone got in ahead of me and they're gone already.
For the moment I've reserved 62J and K, but would prefer 64A and B. However, I can't reserve 64A yet as it's the upper deck bassinet seat.

What are my best tactics here, should I keep what I've got as is and try to change both seats at T72, or would it be prudent to reserve 64B now and grab 64A as soon as it becomes unblocked?
I'm gold BTW.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.