Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Dear BA, why don't you want me to become gold?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dear BA, why don't you want me to become gold?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2013, 4:47 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by Earthman
better redemption availability for economy travel at short notice across Europe.
Really ?

I reached gold for the first time last year after much frequent flying and not chasing it.

I've struggled to find redemption availability on any of the popular routes, and particularly at short notice. LHR-TXL, LHR-BCN, LHR-TLV .... the list goes on. Either zip availability or nowhere near the dates you need.

Flounge access.... meh.... Flounge is generally too busy with all the gold diggers anyway and the food is average !

1A / 1K .... only for the DYKWIA types with a big ego. Row 2 gets me there just as quickly, off the plane just as quickly and the same inflight service..... I don't see the big deal with 1A apart from ego massaging.
Old May 8, 2013, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by Short Final
Really ?
Really - a number of my redemptions went into V.

Flounge access.... meh.... Flounge is generally too busy with all the gold diggers anyway and the food is average !
In KUL there were 3 other pax in the F lounge and the steak fillet was excellent as was the red accompanying it. At the GF in LHR T3 there was a grand total of 2 pax (myself included) last time I was there. JL F lounge at NRT is not too bad either.

But YMMV
Old May 8, 2013, 5:18 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by layz
Totally agreed. The improved catering made the F lounge worth it on its own in my mind. The improved catering was the best part for me (although that's gone downhill with the new caterers I'm hoping feedback makes them restore it to at least it's previous standard), but better drinks selection and generally less busy are good points too. When subjected to T3 it was also nice to be able to try out the CX F lounge (already used AA flagship when flying them - nothing special).
I agree about the lounge, Occasionally I go to Galleries North, it's a horrendous zoo compared with GF.

I've also had the message when trying to book reward flight savers that some of the flights are showing extra reward availability due to being gold (presumably the V bucket), that's been useful to me on occasion too.
Particularly useful for domestic connections

I've used the extra bag just once, so not vital to me, but it did save a bit of money.
Ł77 per bag per direction

I especially like being able to select row 1. When sitting in 1C/D the person in the Window/Middle can walk out without you having to get up. When sitting in 1A/F vice versa.

Not having a seat a few inches from your face makes a big difference too, far less claustrophobic.

I flew with an infant in a row further back once (booked <24 hours to go, and couldn't move my seat because of the infant!). It was horrendous, fortunately it was only the MAN-LHR hop though.
Old May 8, 2013, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Nonsense!
better redemption availability for economy travel at short notice across Europe.
To be exact, it's better redemption availability for economy travel period, not just across Europe...
Old May 8, 2013, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As others have noted, the benefits become significantly more apparent when you fly other OneWorld in terms of both the published and softer benefits. Booking exit rows on BA is another important perk.

Silver is pretty generous for a low tier status for sure.
Old May 8, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador
Really ?

I reached gold for the first time last year after much frequent flying and not chasing it.

I've struggled to find redemption availability on any of the popular routes, and particularly at short notice. LHR-TXL, LHR-BCN, LHR-TLV .... the list goes on. Either zip availability or nowhere near the dates you need.

1A / 1K .... only for the DYKWIA types with a big ego. Row 2 gets me there just as quickly, off the plane just as quickly and the same inflight service..... I don't see the big deal with 1A apart from ego massaging.
That's news to me as I've never been able to take the kids into the F Lounge - which takes me onto the subject of BA's overly strict "one-guest only" policy......
Old May 8, 2013, 8:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
Really ?

Not that much if you only just reached it.

My entire family travels 2x a year on redemptions from TLV booked in advance. Not all of us get redemptions, but always at least two.

Who's in there besides GCH and OWE? It's only "gold diggers!"

Never sat there I see. First of all, The view is amazing. If you're travelling with a coworker it's nice as you're far enough apart you're not a couple, but you're close enough together to exchange words when needed. When sleeping, it's the best - no one passes by you on the way to the galley/lavs.

Last edited by BizFlyin; May 8, 2013 at 8:37 am
Old May 8, 2013, 8:29 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
As others have noted, the benefits become significantly more apparent when you fly other OneWorld in terms of both the published and softer benefits. Booking exit rows on BA is another important perk.

Gold is really handy when flying QF in Australia. It's also nice on domestic AA flights as you're listed (and therefore treated) as ExPlat.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:37 am

Indeed - silver is the best value FF card BA offers. If you are flying enough to just scrape gold on BA, you may well be better off obtaining silver and putting the rest of your travel in to Star Alliance or Skyteam.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by BizFlyin
Not that much if you only just reached it.
That's a bit of a pop. You can fly an awful lot in discounted Y and never get to gold.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by clubman
To be exact, it's better redemption availability for economy travel period, not just across Europe...
Well to be fair,I was being specific to tolerance.I don't fly economy unless it's sub 4hrs

More gold benefits are :

Free seat selection at the time of booking, whatever cabin you're travelling in, for everyone in your party - even people on other bookings as long as you are travelling in the same cabin on the same flight
Silvers can't do that for those on seperate pnr's (not officially anyway) and they cannot put blues in exit seats free whereas golds can.
Also an additional checked bag in any class of travel (excluding hand baggage only fares).
Old May 8, 2013, 6:22 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Tim_T
My my, even though I have been on FT for 15 years and 3 days I still surprised at how a topic can go in different directions.

I don't believe I'm chasing gold. My travel has increased a lot in the last 18 months and I have been able to direct most to one world. I had a BA account and collect avois via Amex, tescos, etc and it was therefore a logical choice to pool as many miles into the same place. I was blue 18 months ago, have quickly gone up the metals, and I'm still 5 months from year end.

The benefits of gold to me are indeed limited but useful. GF lounge will be nice but often I'm travelling with more than one colleague or family. The three things I will use are; access to the front five rows of seats on domestic bookings greater than 3 days out, booking of seats for others, and redemption telephone booking fee.

Now back to celebrating my 15 year and 3 day FT joinday.
+1 OP. YOu are very articulate. Mind not the remarks from some of the others.

Do make sure you secure your return.
Old May 8, 2013, 6:42 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

Gold allows free changes to redemptions
That has already saved me about Ł500 this year alone!
Old May 8, 2013, 7:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
It means you aren't Silver, the Frequent Flyer status for those that don't fly. That certainly is worth it.
Or for the savvy Frequent Flyer who pays for their tickets on their own dime and uses BAEC for OW flights. It's relatively easy to make(for me 2 TATL per year which I'm going to do anyway so any other BA flights or redemptions are just a bonus) and then the rest of the annual spend for say a person like me in a country where I'm forced to use Star far more frequently can be used towards*G (in my case LH Senator which is with the new fare rules quite a bit more difficult to attain than BA Gold) but the jump in benefits from *S to certain levels of *G is far more pronounced than moving up from BA Silver to bog standard BA Gold. But I realize you must get your usual(I believe tongue firmly in cheek) dig in at Silvers.
Old May 9, 2013, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia:20720270

Gold allows free changes to redemptions
That has already saved me about £500 this year alone!
you sure do believe in the Woman's prerogative

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.