Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First Lounge London Gatwick (North terminal): Catering options from April 2013

Old May 17, 2013, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
This thread gives the current catering options (2013, 2014, & 2015) for the Galleries First Lounge (Flounge) in London Gatwick North Terminal. This lounge is open to BAEC Gold and oneworld Emerald card holders as well as assengers flying on a oneworld First ticket. The catering supplier was changed on 25 April 2013 to BaxterStorey.

The current catering options in the First lounge can be found in this post in the thread, or you can click here.

Catering options - other LGW lounge
Galleries Club Lounge Gatwick (North Terminal): Catering options from April 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014 or 2015 thread)

Catering options - LHR lounges
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR : menus 2015 - T5 only
Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2015 - T3 & T5
Galleries Club lounges LHR: Dining menu and food options from 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014 or 2015 thread) - T3 and T5
International Lounge Terminal 1 LHR - catering options from May 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014 or 2015 thread) - T1 international flights

For the UK domestic lounges in Newcastle, Manchester, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast, Leeds, and Aberdeen
UK Domestic lounges (outside London) - catering arrangements from April 2013 (n.b. no separate 2014 or 2015 thread)

For information on the BaxterStorey changeover in 2013
New lounge catering contract: BaxterStorey replaces Compass - effective 1 May 2013
Your recent feedback on catering in our lounges - note from BA Executive Club.

BA Champagne & Wine thread
The 2015 BA Champagne & Wine Thread - covers LHR & LGW lounges and in the air
The LHR CCR cocktail menu - cocktail menu introduced May 2014

Archived food & drink threads
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR: menus 2014
Concorde Room (CCR) LHR: menus 2013
Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2014 - T3 and T5
Galleries First (Flounge) LHR: Dining menu and food options 2013 - T3 and T5
The 2014 BA Champagne & Wine Thread - covers LHR & LGW lounges and in the air
The 2013 BA Champagne & Wine Thread - covers LHR & LGW lounges and in the air
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 28, 2013, 9:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

From 25 April 2013 the food options in the First Lounge (Flounge) at London Gatwick North Terminal have changed, after BaxterStorey was appointed to run the food and beverage operations.

Breakfast Menu
Available from 5:15 to 12 noon.

Starters
Please help yourself to the following selection of breakfast goods:
Freshly baked croissants and Danish pastries
Toast, bagles, muffins and brioche
Selection of cereals, muesli and granola
Traditional porridge
Yoghurt selection
Fresh fruit and mixed berries
Fresh fruit juices
Jams, preserve, honey and Marmite
Main dishes
Please ask your lounge host if you would like to order one of the following hot breakfast options
Tomato and sautéed Portobello mushroom baguette (vegetarian)
British back bacon and Stavely scrambled eggs on toast
Salmon on granary toast
Baked beans on toast (vegetarian)
Egg royale
Porridge with traditional accompaniments
Beverages
Available all day
Traditional and speciality teas
Freshly ground bean to cup coffee
Hot chocolate

Rest of the day
Noon to close

Help yourself
For your convenience there is a self service buffet available which includes

A selection of cold meats

A selection of freshs salads

English cheeses and charcuterie, with apple and cider chutney and British savoury biscuits.
Brought to your table
Please order from your lounge hosts
Hot British back bacon baguettes (they will also do them as a sandwich, if you ask nicely)

Macaroni Cheese
Chifferini pasta with a rich Leicester with British Cheddar cheese and English Mustard Sauce (suitable for vegetarians).

Soup of the Day - ask the host for today's choice.
Served with croutons, chilli flakes and seeds.
Afternoon tea
Served from 2.00pm to 5.00pm. Help yourself to:
A selection of sandwiches

Scones served with clotted cream and strawberry jam

Coffee and walnut cake

Lemon Drizzle Cake

Photos
These photos relate to the food offerings after the breakfast period:

Salads
The salad options include cous cous, mixed bean salad, salami Napoli, chorizo, shaved pastrami, quiche.

Sandwiches

Cheese
Cheese on offer was English brie, Denhay cheddar, Cropwell Bishop stilton. Served with apple and cider chutney and quince

jelly, with oatcakes and Carrs Water biscuits (both types).

Nibbles
Dried fruit mix, BA savoury mix (watch out Admirals Club!), Taiwanese crackers.

In addition there were two other food areas, with fresh fruit (pears, apples, bananas and oranges); and biscuits from Island Bakery Organics (handmade biscuits from a husband and wife business on the island of Mull). The biscuits are emphatically a premium product, at the time of writing there were 2 types on offer, apple crumble and chocolate and soft ginger. They were served from a large Avery glass jar (as used for pickling), unfortunately I didn't see any tongs, but they are not wrapped, which is perhaps just as well since they would be pilfered.

Comments
A modest update in options now available, mainly soup related. New menu from 12 March 2014.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Oct 22, 2014 at 8:24 am Reason: Minor update to items
Old Apr 28, 2013, 9:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Note from British Airways

This is by way of background. The context was that the previous lounge food supplier Compass was replaced in April 2013 by a new supplier, BaxterStorey. The following is a note for passengers from British Airways:

Dear Customer,

We have recently appointed a new supplier in our UK longes and we are delighted to announce that the transition has begun.

BaxterStorey is the UK's leading independent food service provider. The company attributes its success to a passion for fantastic food made from the freshest, locally sourced ingredients, delivered by highly skilled chefs. BaxterStorey prides itself on the quality of the people it employs, focuses on coaching and development, and demonstrates significant commitment to a sustainable operation. We are delighted to be working with them on our lounge offering.

There will be a phased transition over the next few weeks across multiple UK airports, please see dates below:

London Gatwick - 25th April
Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Manchester and Newcastle - 28th April
London Heathrow (T3 and T5) - 2nd May
London Heathrow (T1) - 16th May.

You will see some changes immediately in the lounges in terms of new uniforms for our teams, different serving equipment and some changes to our food and beverage offer. We have a program (sic) of change planned, which will roll out over the next few months. We believe these changes will provide you with an enhanced lounge experience and we look forward to your feedback.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Looks good! Let's hope they can keep it up.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:09 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Sorry for this (maybe) basic question, have never been to the GF at LGW, but it seems that there is only one hot "made-to-order" option on the menu during the day. Compared to LHR this seems quite inferior? Is this new or has this always been the case for LGW?
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Salad options look much improved as does the cheeseboard.

Last edited by Swanhunter; Apr 28, 2013 at 11:15 am
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
No more poached eggs? Oh, well, enjoyed them when they were there.

Looks ok to me overall. No bad thing to have a freshen up.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Is this new or has this always been the case for LGW?
It's always been much more restricted than LHR AFAIK.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:36 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Originally Posted by colmc
It's always been much more restricted than LHR AFAIK.
Oh I see, thanks for the quick reply. Wasn't aware of it.

Well, I'll be at GF/LHR next week Friday, one day after the change, and will report back. Hope it changes for the better
Old Apr 28, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA; SQ; Hyatt; Hilton
I was there on Friday morning and there was also a sign saying that the bacon baguettes were available all day - i.e. not just from noon, as the menu suggests.
Old May 4, 2013, 10:52 am
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
No more poached eggs? Oh, well, enjoyed them when they were there.

Looks ok to me overall. No bad thing to have a freshen up.
No more poached eggs and all the offer is very very poor

previous menu

Old May 9, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Hmmmm, well going on holiday with better half and his parents in F to BGI on 15th May not looking great for brekkie compared to what is on offer in the LGW VS Clubhouse where his parents normally frequent!!

Well at least the onboard service should be better than VS UC for them, I hope anyway...
Old May 9, 2013, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I really don't like the new offer. I found the new salads globally poor, the quiche was undercooked and some of the egg in it was runny and the dough looked soggy, and there is basically only buffet option after breakfast now. And I think that their scrambled eggs are bad, while the previous poached or soft boiled eggs were nice. My vote is
Old May 12, 2013, 4:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I was in LGW FL on Friday, the sandwich options were basically the same as CE afternoon tea. Only three types to choose from! Bring back chicken & mayo and the sausage relish sandwich!
Poor options for crisps too.
Old May 12, 2013, 5:38 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
No hot breakfast readily available to anyone who doesn't eat bread. That's not ideal.
Old May 12, 2013, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by LeeT
Hmmmm, well going on holiday with better half and his parents in F to BGI on 15th May not looking great for brekkie compared to what is on offer in the LGW VS Clubhouse where his parents normally frequent!!

Well at least the onboard service should be better than VS UC for them, I hope anyway...
OT: Have you been in the LGW VS clubhouse? Is it comparable with the LHR one? If so the LGW Flounge would be a big disappointment even with the old catering.

I liked the LGW F lounge in a way when it was quiet, but it certainly felt more business class that first and the catering there has never been close to the offering at LHR. There's been a few times when the F lounge was overcrowded so I moved straight to the terraces/galleries (I'm sure the sign in LGW still says terraces!)

Might be good if you give BA constructive feedback on your visit, particularly if you can compare with the VS offering. Compare what you liked with the old offering too. Thing is LGW really did need some catering improvements, but it seems like they've also reduced their quality.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.