Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA award availability

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2013, 3:52 am

Programs: Delta PM
there used to be huge availability in F on NYC-LHR route because of the large number of flights, particularly in the summer. Now there are no flights all summer with 2 award seats available and only a few with 1. this is a drastic change as others have mentioned. But once again it is not clear anything can be done.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:27 am

Right before our eyes, there has been a massive BA avios devaluation in the form of reduced award redemption. Instead of the massive outcry over the lounge food, people should really be concerned over their Avios. Executive Club awards were never free given the huge taxes and surcharges they put on them, but they were useful as discounted F&J tickets. With little to no useful availability now, they are rapidly becoming useless. Will I find a way to use them? Sure, but I have a lot of flexibility as do many other FT'ers. For those who are stuck with a limited window in which to travel, avios are for all intentional purposes worthless.

And to those BA apologists that claim they could get 3 F seats to wherever 6 months ago-that was 6 months ago! I could get 3 F seats from lots of cities in the US six months ago too. Try booking more than 1F seat and see what the availability is now...
Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
Originally Posted by riced
And to those BA apologists that claim they could get 3 F seats to wherever 6 months ago-that was 6 months ago! I could get 3 F seats from lots of cities in the US six months ago too. Try booking more than 1F seat and see what the availability is now...
First of all, I am in no way shape or form a BA apologist. You can ask pretty much anyone around here, I am pretty hard on BA in a number of ways. But I just did an SFO trip both ways in F thanks to my avios. This month.

Might it be harder? Maybe. So now I need to spend 5 minutes a day for 7 days instead of for 2 days to find my avios availability. Big deal. When I booked it, however, there were *multiple* seats available.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:47 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jayceeohh
It really is disappointing reading this thread. I'm saving avios to try to take the family to the US in Club next summer, plus will have a BA amex companion voucher. What's the point when there's no way I'll be able to book in advance at a time I'll want to?
Don't let the negativity on threads like this get you down! It has got harder, mainly because there are a lot more miles chasing the availability, and booking CW for several people ("the family") has always been challenging, but patience and flexibility (dates, airports, consider AA) are your friends.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Right before our eyes, there has been a massive BA avios devaluation in the form of reduced award redemption.
Yes availability has been poorer of late but you're not tied to using them on BA. You can use them on other partner airlines......you might even save yourself a few bob in taxes/charges along the way.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by IMH
Don't let the negativity on threads like this get you down! It has got harder, mainly because there are a lot more miles chasing the availability, and booking CW for several people ("the family") has always been challenging, but patience and flexibility (dates, airports, consider AA) are your friends.
Great post. Reading some of the whining on this site can be very disheartening, but with some patience and flexibility you'll find some availability. I have recently redeemed to both South and North America in premium cabins. Good luck!
Old Jun 16, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Originally Posted by BizFlyin
First of all, I am in no way shape or form a BA apologist. You can ask pretty much anyone around here, I am pretty hard on BA in a number of ways. But I just did an SFO trip both ways in F thanks to my avios. This month.

Might it be harder? Maybe. So now I need to spend 5 minutes a day for 7 days instead of for 2 days to find my avios availability. Big deal. When I booked it, however, there were *multiple* seats available.
I couldn't agree more and posted something similar in another thread about the supposed difficulties in redeeming.
Those of us willing to put in a little extra work and think things out for ourselves rather than being spoon fed will be rewarded.
Let them moan its better for us
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:07 am

And the apologists come out! This is about BA award availability, not partner airlines. If I want to fly on CX, I'll use my AA points. They are way cheaper (amount of points) and I can change the dates without charge. Plus AA includes connecting flights.

Go ahead and kid yourself about the availability, but there has been a massive reduction in the amount of BAaward seats available. If you want to pretend that nothing has changed, then go right ahead, but it HAS changed. I've booked plenty of flights with BA and reward redemption has NEVER been so difficult. For those of you who can get a seat 48hours out, great for you, but even that sort of availability is no longer guaranteed. It takes a lot more than 5 minutes of looking for a few days to find what you want these days...
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:11 am
Suspended

Go ahead and kid yourself about the availability, but there has been a massive reduction in the amount of BAaward seats available.
How do you know that? Do you work for BA? There are many explanations on why it's harder for you to find award availability - that is only one of them.

It takes a lot more than 5 minutes of looking for a few days to find what you want these days...
Maybe for you, but not for me.

PS - Feel free to flip through my post history if you think I'm an apologist.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
As per stifle's law, as the length of a thread here grows, the probability of a person being called a BA apologist, or a person being told to use a private jet, or an argument about children in lounges or premium classes approaches 1.

I must say I have yet to see the term "apologist" used here in a constructive post.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:16 am
Suspended

That BA apologist part is a new addition right stifle? Seems like a cheap trick... every thread on this forum has someone being called an apologist - mostly by me
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Nope, it was in the original law
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
When I first hit gold finding reward flight saver redemptions became crazily easy thanks to the increased availability golds get in economy. There also tended to be decent availability in Club Europe.

I've now noticed availability is getting harder to find, but by no means impossible. It's possible something has changed but it's also possible that there's just a lot more people redeeming. The diamond club credit cards currently give out an insane amount of avios.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Well we were told to wait till June 4 when the premium sale was over and all would be good. That certainly didn't happen. I noticed yesterday that some CW seats are starting to trickle in on YYZ-LHR. Generally on Mondays. Inbound is harder to get though. Plus at one point there wasn't an F seat on the route available before Dec.24 but now some July dates are available and a single seat in August. There has definitely been a change in when these seats are released. In the past I could almost always UuA from WT+ to CW at time of booking and CW to F was even easier. Not finding that at all since about March.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by layz
When I first hit gold finding reward flight saver redemptions became crazily easy thanks to the increased availability golds get in economy. There also tended to be decent availability in Club Europe.

I've now noticed availability is getting harder to find, but by no means impossible. It's possible something has changed but it's also possible that there's just a lot more people redeeming. The diamond club credit cards currently give out an insane amount of avios.
Based on my own recent experience looking for redemptions, I agree with all of that.

To be honest, I personally see little point in speculating on the reasons why and even less point in having a go at others who take a different view (either way). I somewhat selfishly confine my efforts to the increasingly difficult task of spending my hard earned avios on something worthwhile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.