BA eyes possible deal with Eurostar

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
BA eyes possible deal with Eurostar

Link shamelessly pinched from another popular aviation site

http://buyingbusinesstravel.com/news...-deal-eurostar

British Airways would like to work with Eurostar to combine flight and rail services on the same ticket.

BA’s commercial director Drew Crawley said the carrier had been looking at “opportunities to work with trains”.

“We would like to interline with Eurostar to offer a Paris-London sector on the train,” said Crawley at the ITM conference in Windsor.

Cue handwringing about the imminent demise of shorthaul services

Seems to make perfect sense, as long as they award TPs and Avios, and status is recognised
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
But...but...why?
Obviously I don't live in Paris but I really can't see the appeal to do this for BA at all.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
To get around the inevitable French ATC strikes?
When it shows they can put people on a train?
Get your competition to work for you?
No-one like Paris airports?
Better timings?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Without a direct LHR rail link, even from King's Cross/St.Pancras, this seems a bit odd indeed. The Air France/Lufthansa model is based on long distance rail terminals at their respective hubs.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by mosburger
Without a direct LHR rail link, even from King's Cross/St.Pancras, this seems a bit odd indeed. The Air France/Lufthansa model is based on long distance rail terminals at their respective hubs.
Not exclusively. There is at least one LH "flight" from Cologne to Frankfurt that doesn't even remotely touch an airport. And one can get miles for booking without travelling ;-)
Old Apr 19, 2013, 1:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by DWFI
But...but...why?
Obviously I don't live in Paris but I really can't see the appeal to do this for BA at all.
Having an agreement to rebook passengers on Eurostar when Heathrow faces disruption would make sense (and I'd be all for them forming similar agreements with East Coast and Virgin Trains) but given that it takes 50 minutes at the very least to get from St. Pancras to Heathrow I don't really see the advantage.
Getting Avios for Eurostar bookings would be nice though I guess.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 1:19 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by sigma421
but given that it takes 50 minutes at the very least to get from St. Pancras to Heathrow I don't really see the advantage.
HS2?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 1:39 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
I'd certainly consider it for going to Paris as I hate the Paris airports. I am not sure how the lounge-element would work as the lounge in London used to get very busy (haven't used it recently. Central London to Central Paris in much less time with BA TPs and Avios would be very enticing.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 1:50 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-gb; SAMSUNG GT-I9100/I9100BVLPH Build/IMM76D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Originally Posted by sigma421
Originally Posted by DWFI
But...but...why?
Having an agreement to rebook passengers on Eurostar when Heathrow faces disruption would make sense (and I'd be all for them forming similar agreements with East Coast and Virgin Trains) but given that it takes 50 minutes at the very least to get from St. Pancras to Heathrow I don't really see the advantage.
Getting Avios for Eurostar bookings would be nice though I guess.
It doesn't really take any longer than Heathrow to Gatwick or LCY though, and BA is happy to offer those as connections
Old Apr 19, 2013, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Aside from Eurostar it would be extremely difficult to make an interline agreement with UK TOCs workable.

For starters the HEX would be excluded and then all the TOCs have extremely different pricing models.

I met some chaps from a company called ACP Rail International at ITB. They are trying to develop a solution to integrated rail-air journeys on continental Europe, however they are not confident about the ability to achieve the same in the UK.

Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by OPebble
HS2?
Good point. That's a long way off though, goodness knows what the market will be like then.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:44 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Not sure about HS2 but I think crossrail might make a difference.

It's clearly a response to our family travel habit - fly to some distant point in Europe and come home by train. Hurry up BA, I want my avios for last week (and if you could link up with Deutsche Bahn as well i'd really be happy).

I do think it makes some sense as a way of capturing more traffic. Foreign visitors might find it easier/more comfortable to buy Eurostar tickets through BA and people making the Paris - LHR- long haul connection might prefer to travel to London by train which does at least save schlepping out of central Paris.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 3:56 am

This would be great for them. So many would-be fliers are on those trains to Paris and Brussels.

Don't forget, Crossrail will stop at Stratford (International). Eurostar don't yet, but they could in future. Crossrail I believe is possibly going to go to Ebbsfleet one day too.

Eurostar might also one day serve the Old Oak Common HS2 station (which is what will serve LHR) - so there are a few longer term connections - tenuous today of course.

In the mean time, TPs and miles on Paris trips would be great. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. They've lost ground on what would have been one of their biggest routes. Surprised it took so long, especially as they were an investor.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

bmi had a tie up with Eurostar some 10-15 years ago.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by mosburger
+1

Originally Posted by FlyingB1975
Not exclusively. There is at least one LH "flight" from Cologne to Frankfurt that doesn't even remotely touch an airport. And one can get miles for booking without travelling ;-)
I think that's incorrect. It is possible to book the train directly with Lufthansa from Cologne Hbf, but the train services that carry the LH codeshare do not stop in Frankfurt Hauptbahnhof. I'd be surprised if LH codeshares on any trains from Cologne that also stop at Frankfurt-Hauptbahnof as well as at Frankfurt-Flughafen - but I may be incorrect. (The Frankfurt airport website, however, suggests that it's the same route for all such trains - all avoiding Frankfurt Hbf)

http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/con...l_service.html

Coming from Cologne, there is only one intermediate stop - at Siegburg/Bonn - before Frankfurt Flughafen. These services do not call at Frankfurt-am-Main Hbf at all.

Here's the full route and timetable for ICE519 - sold by LH between Cologne and FRA as LH3617

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.