Priority AAccess with AA using Avios

Old Apr 18, 13, 4:02 pm

Programs: *S(TK),OWR(AY), MR/SPG(Gold), AS MVP, WS Silver, A3, BA, AP
Priority AAccess with AA using Avios

Just got back from a AA reward trip from ORD-YYZ using avios, and wasn't happy about the delay. However, I was surprised that my BP had Priority AAccess on it, and I do not have any status on BA or AA. I booked on coach for 4500 miles, did I get lucky or is this common on AA flights?
Old Apr 18, 13, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by J_rob129 View Post
Just got back from a AA reward trip from ORD-YYZ using avios, and wasn't happy about the delay. However, I was surprised that my BP had Priority AAccess on it, and I do not have any status on BA or AA. I booked on coach for 4500 miles, did I get lucky or is this common on AA flights?
You get it on a full fare ticket (Y)?

AAnytime awards book into Y, but MilesAAver rewards should be T, I think. Probably got lucky?

Last edited by Sandgrounder; Apr 18, 13 at 5:14 pm
Old Apr 18, 13, 6:05 pm

Just checked my BP and it is Y fare. Not bad for 4500 Avios + $2.65 fee . Love that I can skip the long line up in ORD and get on the plane first.
Old Apr 18, 13, 6:21 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
I think it's common
I saw it on my BP for YKF-ORD flights both ways

MommyPoints pointed it out in her blog also. I didn't get the free checked bag though, with original BAEC #, or my CX MPC Gold

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/mommyp...u-might-think/
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/mommyp...eward-flights/

However, this is not the only little “secret” of British Airways Avios that makes them a pretty solid tool to have in your miles and points arsenal, even if your travels will never take you on a British Airways flight. You can read about some of my favorite uses for Avios in this previous post, but for now I want to focus on some of the unique qualities of these miles that make them quite handy.

• No close-in booking fees
• No online cancellation fee – just lose the taxes that you paid for the flight which is often $5 – $10 for domestic flights.
• Just a $40 change fee – which is much lower than many other airlines (of course, you could potentially just cancel and rebook for even less)
• Free checked bag, priority access in the airport, and priority boarding on American Airlines (this is not a published benefit anywhere I know, but my family was still getting this “perk” as of last week, though some in the comments report they have not been getting free bags, so YMMV)
Old Apr 18, 13, 8:35 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Passengers travelling AA on BA miles will, at minimum, receive Priority AAcess on their boarding card, unless Onewold status dictates a higher standard. No free checked bags if in Y with no status. AA allows OW Ruby, Sapphire and Emeralds to have 2 free checked bags (each no more than 23 kgs (AA does not wave heavy bag charges for elites)) on AA award bookings in Y (or 3 bags if travelling to Brazil/India if Emerald at 32kgs). F bookings dictate that the passenger is entitled to 3 bags at 32kgs (or 4 at 32kgs if Emerald).
Old Apr 20, 13, 10:31 am

Just checked my account and noticed that I receive 436 avios for my new flight after my rewards flight was cancelled.
Old Apr 28, 13, 6:41 pm

Anyone got any update on the free bag?

I just used avios to book a flight for my parents. None of us has status with BA or AA. The booking code is T instead of F though.

Search this Thread