FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Maybe CX isn't perfect... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1458384-maybe-cx-isnt-perfect.html)

Cap'n Benj Apr 15, 2013 6:45 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyUMF (Post 20594140)
The champers can never hurt:D

Apologies also, I gather your colleague is referring to the J seats, I can understand their point, I thought he was saying first felt cramped!

Yup deffo the J seats, he can obviously have no argument about the space in the F ones!

Yahillwe Apr 15, 2013 6:50 am

Originally Posted by kitbag1984 (Post 20593244)
I flew a segment in CX F last week and must say the service and seat were incredible. Despite the seat being nearly ten years old it was much better than the NF seat. The space and comfort were far better. In Fact I would say the BA F cabin was comparable to a J product.

As the staff had less customers to serve we also received better service as well.

You should change your signature, you already flew at least one flight in 2013. :p ;)

EK's 380 in F has one dedicated person who cleans the bathroom after every use.. Now that I like :).

I do clean up after myself when I use the bathroom.

Grande Annee Apr 15, 2013 7:19 am

Originally Posted by MANCHESTER (Post 20591117)
I agree, CX is over rated in F IMHO.

I completely agree..........it seems we are the only ones though! :eek:

Grande Annee Apr 15, 2013 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Jenbel (Post 20593615)
New CX J is on a par with BA's new F. It leaves NGCW in its dust.

I wonder which forum you are the moderator for!! :eek::p

Jenbel Apr 15, 2013 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Grande Annee (Post 20594381)
I wonder which forum you are the moderator for!! :eek::p

Why does that matter? :confused:

mkjr Apr 15, 2013 8:11 am

thanks.

does it not appear as though who ever took that photo ought not have been in the lavatory?

LTN Phobia Apr 15, 2013 8:16 am

I don't agree that CX J is equivalent to BA F referred to earlier in the thread. It's like a mini-BA F but with a fair bit less space.

It also doesn't have the degree of privacy afforded by BA F or even CW window seat. It's pretty open. Not that it's a bad seat, on the contrary it's nice.

Originally Posted by mkjr (Post 20594603)

does it not appear as though who ever took that photo ought not have been in the lavatory?

You could be right. It does have the 'return to your seat' light on.

I think this was on the ground, and it's common to have the seat belt sign on during boarding, so maybe that's what it was.

corporate-wage-slave Apr 15, 2013 8:44 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 20594633)
It also doesn't have the degree of privacy afforded by BA F or even CW window seat. It's pretty open. Not that it's a bad seat, on the contrary it's nice.

I would agree with that. I fly CX a fair bit, and it's not a bad airline by any means. You can get some fantastic crew on them, though I sometimes feel they are running to a very tightly defined checklist sometimes. But the CX seats - coffin, cirrus and First - does not give CW's window seat privacy, is far more open and also I find it a bit more difficult to get to sleep in them. There's a random factor as to which CX configuration you will get - at least with BA's HKG services you know what you are going to get.

Poxball Apr 15, 2013 8:56 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 20594758)
I would agree with that. I fly CX a fair bit, and it's not a bad airline by any means. You can get some fantastic crew on them, though I sometimes feel they are running to a very tightly defined checklist sometimes. But the CX seats - coffin, cirrus and First - does not give CW's window seat privacy, is far more open and also I find it a bit more difficult to get to sleep in them. There's a random factor as to which CX configuration you will get - at least with BA's HKG services you know what you are going to get.

For LHR-HKG you do know what you're getting. First 3 of the day are cirrus and last is 747 coffin. Will be 5 soon and will be all cirrus. Ba CW works in 62 or 64 window as I am tall. Tried BA 77W a week ago and there is no space for anything. So 62/64 work for space, privacy and height.

But that is only c. 5/8% of seats. New CX cirrus - long enough, loads of space, no climbing over, no seat moving because neighbor moves and just as private as BA NF.

Book BA and have that nervous mmb to see if seats are available. Book CX (or indeed SQ) and there is no panic.

LTN Phobia Apr 15, 2013 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Poxball (Post 20594816)

Book BA and have that nervous mmb to see if seats are available.

You can book the seat during booking process on BA, can't you? I rarely bother but there is a seat selection button on the booking page.

HIDDY Apr 15, 2013 9:39 am

Originally Posted by BApilotinsider (Post 20590561)
Reading this forum one can get the impression that BA can do no right and CX is the shining beacon...

Yes it makes you wonder why BA bother flying to Hong Kong if CX are as great as some people seem to think they are.

I really need to give them a try some day to judge them myself although it's highly unlikely given they don't fly to S America.

mkjr Apr 15, 2013 11:07 am

I don't agree that CX J is equivalent to BA F referred to earlier in the thread. It's like a mini-BA F but with a fair bit less space.

You could be right. It does have the 'return to your seat' light on.

I think this was on the ground, and it's common to have the seat belt sign on during boarding, so maybe that's what it was.

i see.

personally, having recently flown in new F on BA, i really think that the degree of privacy is really not that substantial of a difference between the two products IMO. sure, perhaps slightly but not nearly as much as one might expect in F.

seat is wider on BA for sure. that said, if you fly on CX on the 77G in 21A/K; 77D/H in 11A/K or 15A, 16K, they are huge. in fact, the amount of space that there is where you feet are is somewhat absurd...:D

that said, personally, if BA keeps up 3 champange selections in F and they remain as they are, i would gladly take that over Krug NV any day of the week.

that said, i would still use my miles for CX J unless on a 2:4:1 via LHR on BA to HKG.

orbitmic Apr 15, 2013 11:54 am

Every airline in the world in every possible class of service can be disappointing at times. If any frequent flyer claim that they never ever had a bad experience with whatever their airline of choice is (and yes it includes the 'best' like SQ, CX, EY or whoever you happen to like depending on personal taste) I will start doubting that they fly as much as they claim. The things which, in my view, make a difference are the 'default'/normal experience you get, how frequently you experience problems, and how they react when problems occur. On that basis, I would personally rate CX higher than BA and BA higher than many others. I don't fly CX as often as some other posters here do, but even based on my relatively limited experience, I am confident that the issues reported in the trip report linked do not represent the 'norm' of CX flying, not nearly.

MAN Flyer Apr 15, 2013 2:12 pm

I don't agree that CX J is equivalent to BA F referred to earlier in the thread.

For their latest long haul JCL seat neither do I, I think it's better. F on CX is in a completely different league to BA.

BA have too many seats in both J and F. But as others have pointed out, it at least allows more redemption opportunities.

leisureflyer1234 Apr 15, 2013 2:50 pm

I flew CX regional Business HKG_KUL recently and it made Club Europe look like Ryanair. We had the latest LH seats which weren't necessary for the 3.5 hour flight. The service was fantastic. We were shown to our seats and addressed by name all of the time. Pre- departure drinks and hot towels. Then there was a very fancy long drawn out lunch service. Nuts served warm in a dish, Table cloths. Starter and salad served on the tray. Choice of breads included garlic bread. Plates cleared and then main course (4 choices) served onto the tray. Then trays cleared and the cheese trolley came out. Cheese was cut and served onto the plate with an extra plate of fresh fruit, and port. That was cleared and the desert trolley came with tea/coffe and after dinner drinks. Then a box of chocoaltes was brouht around. IFE had 200 AVOD films/tv programmes and 888 CDs.Then more hot towels.