Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

JNB cancellations / rearrangements / general weirdness 10 & 11 May

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JNB cancellations / rearrangements / general weirdness 10 & 11 May

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2013, 9:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Question JNB cancellations / rearrangements / general weirdness 10 & 11 May

Currently on ba.com there are no flights LHR-JNB on Friday 10 May 2013; neither are there any JNB-LHR on Saturday 11 May 2013. According to YF this isn't because there aren't any: BA55/54 has been cancelled and BA56/57 is no longer accepting new bookings (presumably to soak up the overflow).

However, joining the BA54/55 and BA55/56 747 rotations is BA33/34 (777). YF say that this has something to do with availability of airframes, although I am a bit perplexed why they can arrange three flights on a particular day but only one on another.

Incidentally, I only noticed this as MMB has said that our flight has been cancelled; I haven't (as yet) had an e-mail or SMS through.

BA have rebooked us from BA54 to BA56, but unfortunately this won't leave us enough time to connect from BA6398 MRU-JNB, so it looks like a night in JNB.

Can anyone shed some more light on what's going on, and whether the BA54 is at all likely to be reinstated? And what do you think the chances are of getting BA to pay for a hotel and meals, if travel insurance doesn't cover it?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 9:32 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
See here also: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-gone-0-a.html
Old Apr 9, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
If you are forced to wait overnight BA should pay for your hotel and meals, per the EU rules.

Have you thought of asking them to put you on MRU-LGW on the 12th. No F though, and limited J seats left. They ought to still pay for a hotel and refund you the J/F difference, but they may be unwilling if it's 2 separate bookings.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Thanks, nux. That looks like a similar thing. Maybe we need a "Not Enough Airframes Causing Problems" thread...

Originally Posted by pauldb
If you are forced to wait overnight BA should pay for your hotel and meals, per the EU rules.

Have you thought of asking them to put you on MRU-LGW on the 12th. No F though, and limited J seats left. They ought to still pay for a hotel and refund you the J/F difference, but they may be unwilling if it's 2 separate bookings.
MRU-LGW is full, at least in J, and it would cause other problems. Ideally BA would pay for a hotel, and the indication from YF was that they should, but it was two separate bookings so they might equally take the position that they had put me on the earlier flight and the fact that I couldn't make it was not their fault.

My insurance covers me for "technical failure of aircraft" and I don't know how much more technical you can get than "it isn't available!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.