TXL Loads

Old Apr 7, 2013, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
TXL Loads

As a regular flyer on the LHR-TXL route, loads seem to have steadily increased over the last few years to the point where it is now often hard to get a seat at any price if booking with less than 7 days to go, even in weeks when there are no conferences/film festivals etc going on in Berlin, and even when a significant number of the flights are on A321s. The 988 tonight was a case in point. Was curious to know if this is just my perception (e.g. maybe I am always just choosing the busiest flights) or whether anyone else has noticed this. LH used to have an early morning LHR-TXL flight that no longer exists which I guess has had a corresponding impact on the 990, but is this mainly because of AB joining One World?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Recognition (finally?) that Berlin is a great city perhaps?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Lufthansa/bmi went from five down to three daily flights about 18 months ago. Maybe that had an impact?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 9:38 pm

airberlin provides minimal feed on TXL end but I guess codeshares are also playing a role.

Well, Berlin's loads are high because of minimal competition on the route and all in all Berlin is a big O&D destination.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:47 pm

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
We flew back on the 993 yesterday and that was packed too. We don't fly this route as much as we used to but checking the website all the flights this weekend both to and from TXL seemed to be almost full. Don't forget though that the Easter holidays have just finished so that will account for some of the business.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:50 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Lufthansa is about to cut its TXL to Manchester flights and reduce the numbers TXL to Birmingham flights. This may add to the problem.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Agreed, I've also noticed an increase in loads. Most BA flights I'm on are packed. Though the 2 LH flights I took this month only had about 40 passengers.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:45 pm

Programs: ABBA
I didn't realise there was a direct Berlin fligh from Manchester until checking in fr my London one. Always feels annoying seeing a direct flight when I'm heading via a 3 hour stop over in heathrow.

I was surprised air Berlin didn't do one though.

I bet prices on LH are high. Since Flybe stopped man-BRU, SN prices hae jumped, so I end up flying via heathrow. One time I actually got the train!

Why oh why can't Ba do at least short haul regional flights? not exactly slot constrained, and I'll be happy with the 737s.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver
I've seen the same thing. Not surprising that there's more demand, given the ongoing rise of Berlin. It's become a significant tourist destination and there's an increasing amount of business travel there.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when BER finally opens and if that makes any difference.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BERbound
Agreed, I've also noticed an increase in loads. Most BA flights I'm on are packed. Though the 2 LH flights I took this month only had about 40 passengers.
Indeed, LH generally seems to be significantly less busy (and commensurately cheaper) on this route which made we wonder if it was a BA/OW specific issue rather than just being about Berlin's increasing popularity
Old Apr 8, 2013, 1:21 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
Originally Posted by Farringdon
It'll be interesting to see what happens when BER finally opens and if that makes any difference.
I don't think I can wait that long! Still no opening date....
Old Apr 8, 2013, 2:59 am

There is an afternoon rotation being added from LHR; BA994/995 from the end of April.

Despite increases in competition from Easy, it appears to be holding on to its own very successfully.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Markie
Lufthansa is about to cut its TXL to Manchester flights and reduce the numbers TXL to Birmingham flights. This may add to the problem.
Oh great! Will British Midland International regional come to the rescue on this route? (or does EZY offer a route MAN-SXF?) I can't see many wanting to fly MAN-FRA-TXL and LHR no longer has any code shares MAN-LHR so that's more demand for BA on this route.

How's Lufthansa doing generally in the UK? I've not heard anything positive from them. Without BD and regional code shares they have lost a lot of UK connecting traffic.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Silver
Doing a daytrip (MAN-LHR-TXL) this coming Tuesday, will post a note on the loads when I get back.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 3:44 pm

BA is taking advantage of the weak pound to undercut its european rivals on pricing, no doubt many passengers on the TXL route are connecting to LH services at LHR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.